Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 24-11-19, 14:51   #1
charmedangelin

Default How would you make any Classic game?

Thought since that other thread turned into such a mess maybe we could start fresh. This thread is about how would any classic game be made. That includes any spin offs like LC, remakes of the Core titles, or a brand new classic game entirely. My hope is that someone at Square/CD/EM will look at this thread and gain some ideas if there ever was to be a new classic game be it a remake, spin off, or brand new classic title.

For me I would like a brand new classic game

Lara: I would want Lara from TR2/3 honestly. I loved her voice actress as she sounded mature, sophisticated and confident. There was something about her voice that was so soothing and absolutely perfect for classic Lara Croft. I would love the Anniversary outfit from CD with longer boots and a bit longer shorts. I always loved the cotton top from that game, she always looked so stylish. I would also like a more sassy and witty Lara. Someone like Alexis Carrington from the classic 1980's Dynasty.

Tone/atmosphere: To be honest I would love the tone of the game LC Go. The game was so mystical and wondrous. It wasn't campy and silly, but it also wasn't serious. The game felt like a perfect personification of wonder and intrigue. That's what I would love for a brand new classic game.

Soundtrack: I desperately want the soundtrack from Lara Croft go. I swear to god that piece of music is the most beautiful and relaxing, wondrous and engaging piece of music I have ever heard. God I cannot get enough of this music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNOGWjhQqY4

This is music, so beautiful and so fitting for Tomb Raider. Probably the best music I've heard to be honest.

Graphics: I want them to play around with some of it. I'd love some of the cell shaded graphics from LC Go, but with the pixar realism from Luigi's Mansion 3.

Gameplay: I would like for the gameplay to work a bit like the Core games, but with updated mechanics from the Souls games with character control and movement. I'd want underwater swimming of course and traps galore. Keys, Levels, logic puzzles from Lara Croft Go and TR4 would be great to have. Combat would be low to medium with strategic enemies placement and the combat would simple like Classic or LAU with acrobatic movements and maybe even some slowdown like TRA. Also third person would be a must.

All in all these are the basic things I'd love to have in a brand new classic game. Especially that music, it is beyond perfection imo.

So what is your idea?

Last edited by charmedangelin; 24-11-19 at 14:58.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 16:06   #2
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Remasters first, then hire Titak and a bunch of the top tier TRLE community to help lead level and puzzle structure in future games.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 16:15   #3
suli
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Thought since that other thread turned into such a mess maybe we could start fresh. This thread is about how would any classic game be made. That includes any spin offs like LC, remakes of the Core titles, or a brand new classic game entirely. My hope is that someone at Square/CD/EM will look at this thread and gain some ideas if there ever was to be a new classic game be it a remake, spin off, or brand new classic title.

For me I would like a brand new classic game

Lara: I would want Lara from TR2/3 honestly. I loved her voice actress as she sounded mature, sophisticated and confident. There was something about her voice that was so soothing and absolutely perfect for classic Lara Croft. I would love the Anniversary outfit from CD with longer boots and a bit longer shorts. I always loved the cotton top from that game, she always looked so stylish. I would also like a more sassy and witty Lara. Someone like Alexis Carrington from the classic 1980's Dynasty.

Tone/atmosphere: To be honest I would love the tone of the game LC Go. The game was so mystical and wondrous. It wasn't campy and silly, but it also wasn't serious. The game felt like a perfect personification of wonder and intrigue. That's what I would love for a brand new classic game.

Soundtrack: I desperately want the soundtrack from Lara Croft go. I swear to god that piece of music is the most beautiful and relaxing, wondrous and engaging piece of music I have ever heard. God I cannot get enough of this music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNOGWjhQqY4

This is music, so beautiful and so fitting for Tomb Raider. Probably the best music I've heard to be honest.

Graphics: I want them to play around with some of it. I'd love some of the cell shaded graphics from LC Go, but with the pixar realism from Luigi's Mansion 3.

Gameplay: I would like for the gameplay to work a bit like the Core games, but with updated mechanics from the Souls games with character control and movement. I'd want underwater swimming of course and traps galore. Keys, Levels, logic puzzles from Lara Croft Go and TR4 would be great to have. Combat would be low to medium with strategic enemies placement and the combat would simple like Classic or LAU with acrobatic movements and maybe even some slowdown like TRA. Also third person would be a must.

All in all these are the basic things I'd love to have in a brand new classic game. Especially that music, it is beyond perfection imo.

So what is your idea?
It's like you're describing Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 16:31   #4
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
Remasters first, then hire Titak and a bunch of the top tier TRLE community to help lead level and puzzle structure in future games.
Ah Melonie, it's good to see you. Haven't seen you in these parts in a while.

Also I love your idea, could you imagine the large intricate levels or the beautiful tombs and locations? I've just now playing one by Agent XP called Vacation of the Tomb Raider. I wish I had such talent.

Perhaps they could draw a lot of inspiration from some of the best TRLE levels.
Old 24-11-19, 16:48   #5
Persefone

Quote:
Originally Posted by suli View Post
It's like you're describing Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
I agree, for classic TR to feel authentic it must have the original movement system, "upgrading" it so it feels like another game like dark souls defeats the purpose of calling it classic TR, if anything a polished AOD movement system would be flawless for classic TR remakes but even then it wouldn't be classic TR any more than a TRLE lvl trying to be the reboots
Persefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 16:56   #6
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persefone View Post
I agree, for classic TR to feel authentic it must have the original movement system, "upgrading" it so it feels like another game like dark souls defeats the purpose of calling it classic TR, if anything a polished AOD movement system would be flawless for classic TR remakes but even then it wouldn't be classic TR any more than a TRLE lvl trying to be the reboots
I didn't say it need to feel like Dark Souls, the mechanics from Dark Souls are similar to Tomb Raider in a way that would work for a classic style Tomb Raider game.

Edit

Anyway what are your ideas for a classic Tomb Raider game. It doesn't have to be remasters, it can be a brand new game or a spin off. My idea is more along the lines of brand new - spin off in a sense.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 24-11-19 at 16:59.
Old 24-11-19, 17:10   #7
Vaskito

The only thing that would make me buy a "classic" TR game today, it would be if the games were remade in the likes of TRA - with that control system, fluidity and fun gameplay, more story and cinematics, and a more likeable Lara (basically what LAU did), and ofc with updated graphics and effects to what we have today.

I'd really like them as a spin-off to play between the main titles launch. For example, now that we're waiting for TR4, they could have a small team remaking TR2 (like they did with with TRA, where they had a separate team making it, while the main dev was on TRU)
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 17:25   #8
Persefone

I'd rather have the classics untouched if all we're getting is bastardised version of them tbh
Persefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 17:29   #9
paulojr_mam

I would make remakes of the first three classics exactly like they were, with that control scheme and updated graphics. They would also have the option for analog control scheme, just like REmake and RE0 remasters. It might be that I would have the camera be free (with align center button). Then I would start remaking the next three classic games to be released after the next main game.

The next main game or new LC games would be a new take on the classics style with current game ideology, but without the banes of current gameplay. Meaning, without excessive handholding, with jumps that actually matter, without excessive focus on gritty realism, without excessive focus on combat and action, without the meaningless empty openess of open-world(ish) current games, without having the exact same mechanics as almost every other game out there (character skill progression, cover shooting, open world, Uncharted-like climbing, etc.). That new take wouldn't be imitating another game, like they did with Prince of Persia and then Uncharted, but it would look just at the classic TRs and use them as a foundation, it would be a new experience based on the classics.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 24-11-19 at 17:33.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 17:31   #10
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persefone View Post
I'd rather have the classics untouched if all we're getting is bastardised version of them tbh
Who said my idea was for the classic series alone. We can have both remasters, new games, and spinoffs. I'm not trying to supper impose my idea onto the general franchise going forward. My intention with this thread was to create a fun and positive experience away from all the drama and stuff. Of course I want a classic Tomb Raider with all the controls in tact, but I just thought it would be fun for a new classic game to try something new that's similar, but a bit refreshing.

If your idea for a new classic game is a straight back to the drawing board then that's fine. You don't have to like my idea or anything, but can we please try to keep this fun, open, and positive for a change? We've had enough drama as it is already and I'm in the mood for some fun for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
I would make remakes of the first three classics exactly like they were, with that control scheme and updated graphics. They would also have the option for analog control scheme, just like REmake and RE0 remasters. It might be that I would have the camera be free (with align center button). Then I would start remaking the next three classic games to be released after the next main game.

The next main game or new LC games would be a new take on the classics style with current game ideology, but without the banes of current gameplay. Meaning, without excessive handholding, with jumps that actually matter, without excessive focus on gritty realism, without excessive focus on combat and action, without the meaningless empty openess of open-world(ish) current games, without having the exact same mechanics as almost every other game out there (character skill progression, cover shooting, Uncharted-like climbing, etc.).
I like that idea, that's something I enjoyed about the RE remakes too. Having the option to have the classic controls and new controls probably would work well.

I also like have more difficulty especially with platforming. I think it would provide quite a bit of fun.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 24-11-19 at 17:34.