Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 28-11-19, 14:34   #21
paulojr_mam

I have probably already posted this somewhere else, but I'd try to actively modernize TR, not do whatever LAU/reboot did. Which means...

Combat - In the classics, Lara jumps around and autoaims targets. That wouldn't lend itself well to manual aiming, so I would try to modernize that instead of changing into something else. To add depth to it, I'd use the style of certain shooters. A button would be held to lock Lara facing a direction, and she would be able to strafe and do sideflips and backflips in that mode, but her shooting would be set in a direction. She'd autoaim the enemies closer to her, but could only hit ones on the air or in higher places by being in the air. There would be a button for her to quickly turn 180°, camera following suit, but without rolling. And there'd be a button to change target.

Traversal - The same button that allows her to shoot, would also make her walk without falling. In this mode she can't change direction except with the change direction button, so down on the analog would make her give a tiny jump back, needed to fall and hang someplaces. And when you jumped forward with that button pressed, you'd ground-swan-dive forward. Jumps would be consistent and come in two forms: running jump and standing jump, not to mention vertical jumping. No mid-air-steering. All the classic moves, like climbing and mokey barring and entering tiny spaces would return, but some would be sped-up. Tightrope walking would never return. Sideflips and backflips would be necessary because they'd cover longer distances, sometimes you'd need the short distance of a normal jump, sometimes the longer, and you'd need to correctly chain all types of jumps. She'd have the press-a-button-not-to-fall the reboot has, but it wouldn't be to save you when you miss, it would be mandatory in some places where the distance is almost-there. And sometimes you'd have to recover quickly because the platform's falling. Sometimes there'd be moving traps in the way of jumps so your timing has to be extra-careful. There'd also be a roll-change-direction button, used for when you have to change direction quicker. But, as with the classics, with the downside of moving further forward and risking falling in platforms. There'd also be abutton to crouch, so no auto-crouching. Jumping from a ledge to one behind you was a good move added in LAU, I'd retain it. AoD's hop would return too. There'd also be a button to run with a stamina bar and, when she's running, she jumps farther. The stamina bar would also appear when she's swimming in freezing waters.

Equipment - Lots of guns with different properties and not enough ammo for the stronger ones, a grappling that can only be used when on the ground, but opens up exploration possibilities and the need to look around with care, flares that don't fire themselves without your imput.

Level designs - Lots of traps, no white ledges, platforming requiring timing, quick-thinking and precision, combat areas with places you can fall from your jumps, lots of animal enemies and mythological creatures that all behave differently and test your skills with the combat system, having you dodge, change aim and change direction with quick-reflexes and precision. The adrenaline dodge with critical hits would return, with a very strict timing, causing you to balance your skill with the risk of being hit. If there are hubs, they'd be not that different from the 'tombs' themselves, with mandatory platforming, exploration and combat challenges in them. There'd be less ledge-shimying and more platform-jumping. Tombs would be crazy unexplainable places like in the classics, but modern locations such as cities would make more sense. There'd still be key-and-lock "puzzles", but it wouldn't always be keys nor always locks. It would also have, interspersed, actual puzzles like TR4 and the post-Core games. Some levels would have large underwater moments, and some would have vehicle segments.

Lara - She'd be classy, calm, collected, would never talk to herself, she'd never talk alone, she'd be an adrenaline junkie, adventurous, sassy, cold, never get desperate. And she wouldn't swear. And she would never wear armor or militaristic clothes. She'd also use a braid and there'd always be at least one level where she uses her classic outfit.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 03-12-19 at 16:31. Reason: completion
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-19, 19:16   #22
Costel

The above sounds good on paper.On paper.How would you make Lara behave like that without resulting in cheap deaths is another story.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-19, 19:30   #23
paulojr_mam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
The above sounds good on paper.On paper.How would you make Lara behave like that without resulting in cheap deaths is another story.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean, because I don't know what you're referring to. Is it to the "no armor/military clothes"? What exactly do you mean?
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote