Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics, Books and Novels

Old 16-10-20, 20:05   #1601
Grizzly Bear

I know I'm super late but I've finally bought the comics between Rise and Shadow and I can't wait to start reading!

I hope they're good!

EDIT: I'm already done! I really enjoyed it! The Spore was a bit pointless (the story was well told but I didn't see the point of introducing the knightood and the mushroom itself, all that trouble for what? It didn't make much sense, we don't even know what that mushroom was...)
Apart from that I liked reading the end of Sam's plot and even Lara hunting Trinity down was interesting.
These comics definetly were much closely related to the games, the ones between TR13 and Rise featured small adventures that didn't really affect Rise at all...

However, where is Kaz?????? They threw here in a black hole

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 20-10-20 at 14:29.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-21, 10:18   #1602
biscuits

I miss the comics.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-21, 11:47   #1603
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
I know I'm super late but I've finally bought the comics between Rise and Shadow and I can't wait to start reading!

I hope they're good!

EDIT: I'm already done! I really enjoyed it! The Spore was a bit pointless (the story was well told but I didn't see the point of introducing the knightood and the mushroom itself, all that trouble for what? It didn't make much sense, we don't even know what that mushroom was...)
Apart from that I liked reading the end of Sam's plot and even Lara hunting Trinity down was interesting.
These comics definetly were much closely related to the games, the ones between TR13 and Rise featured small adventures that didn't really affect Rise at all...

However, where is Kaz?????? They threw here in a black hole
Yeah, the mushroom story was kinda pointless. But I still liked it, it shows how determined Lara is to finding the secret of immortality.

The one thing that bugs me about the reboot comics is that there's different art styles and IMO some of them are flat out ugly. The stories are good and when I read them I tried to not be superficial and instead concentrate on the stories, but the art styles ruined some of them for me.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 11:04   #1604
Grizzly Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I miss the comics.
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Yeah, the mushroom story was kinda pointless. But I still liked it, it shows how determined Lara is to finding the secret of immortality.

The one thing that bugs me about the reboot comics is that there's different art styles and IMO some of them are flat out ugly. The stories are good and when I read them I tried to not be superficial and instead concentrate on the stories, but the art styles ruined some of them for me.
Yep the inconsistent art style is a bit annoying... the ugliest Lara for me is the of the second part of "The Beginning"

I mean, she was so beautiful in the first part, why did they have ti ruin her like that
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 16:55   #1605
Portugalraider

Personally, the different artists working of different issues do not bother me that much. Maybe because it's so normal in non-creator-owned comics that I am used to it. The exception being Ashley A Woods on Survivor's Crusade. The art there ruins what is actually a really well written arc. Not that she isn't a good artist, her portefolio is great and her concepts for the comic are really good. Perhaps she just doesn't work well with tight comic schedules and would perhaps be a better cover artist.

That being said, if the comics return (unfortunately unlikely, I think the anime series will take their place for the time being), I do wish they keep the same artist for an entire run. And I would not mind at all for Phillip Sevy to return. He already improved so much from Spore/Choice and Sacrifice to Inferno, I can't wait to see what he would do with Lara now. In my opinion, Inferno setted him to reboot Lara what Andy Park was to classic/top cow Lara.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 17:16   #1606
biscuits

I've come to associate the reboot comics with Philip Sevy's art now. He's very good! You can really see his improvement over his run.
Old 28-04-21, 09:44   #1607
Portugalraider

Probably won't happen because he isn't an animator and the new series is being marketed as an anime, but I kind of wish that Philip Sevy would be brought as at least character designer for the Netflix series.
Old 28-04-21, 11:49   #1608
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Probably won't happen because he isn't an animator and the new series is being marketed as an anime, but I kind of wish that Philip Sevy would be brought as at least character designer for the Netflix series.
I mean it could work. Lots of artists are hired to produce the general look of a particular product whilst not actually animating it. Atlantis:The Lost Empire was designed by Mile Mignolia, but he didn't actually animate it.
Old 07-09-21, 18:51   #1609
UroshUchiha

My Library Edition Volume 1 just arrived from BookDepository and woah this thing is MASSIVE!
Went to check where the Volume 2 is only to discover that it was apparently never made? Is there any reason for the lack Volume 2? Should I just hunt down the Omnibus Volume 2 instead or are there still chances of the hardcover edition appearing one day?

Also, BookDepository still has Volume 1 in stock and it's still on a 33% discount for anyone interested. I personally also used a coupon I had for another 10% so this came in "cheap" so I'm very happy.

Last edited by UroshUchiha; 07-09-21 at 20:33.
UroshUchiha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-21, 19:31   #1610
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
My Library Edition Volume 1 just arrived from BookDepository and woah this thing is MASSIVE!
Went to check where the Volume 2 is only to discover that it was apparently never made? Is there any reason for the lack Volume 2? Should I just hunt down the Omnibus Volume 2 instead or are there still chances of the hardcover edition appearing one day?

Also, BookDepository still has Volume 1 in stock and it's still on a 33% discount for anyone interested. I personally also used a coupon I had for another 10% so this came in "cheap" so I'm very happy.

Congratulations on getting the library edition!

As for there not being a Volume 2, I suspect that either the first one didn't sell that well, it was much more expensive to make compared to the soft cover Omnibus versions, or a combination of both.

And while Obviously Dark Horse could always prove me wrong, I suspect that if we still haven't gotten a Library edition 2 yet, we probably won't be having one anyways. Perhaps the Omnibus is the best course of action.