Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 26-02-20, 06:16   #1
New Dwight
Inactive

Default classic elements in rise of the tomb raider?

while there were many classic assets and iterations in shadow; what are all of the classics in rise of the tomb raider?
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-20, 06:35   #2
charmedangelin

None that I can think of, besides having some swimming and more emphasis on exploring I don't think it was as classic focus as Shadow was.

I guess a shift from combat to more exploration would be something found in Rise.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-20, 07:02   #3
_Seth

Apart from some Easter eggs in Blood Ties, Rise may as well have been a kart racer with how non-Tomb Raider it was, really.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-20, 07:09   #4
Cochrane
Golden

The main character's name was Lara Croft.

That's the best I could think of anyway.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-20, 18:57   #5
New Dwight
Inactive

as i suspected - this is sad rottr. 2 out of 1 games in the trilogy without classic elements/tomb raiding does not sit well.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-20, 02:24   #6
Kapu

It's kind of a broad question, y'know? And it depends on what you consider to be classic elements.

Is it gameplay elements, iconography, sounds?

A large majority of fans seem to favor Rise over the other two games in the trilogy, so it must have done something right to click with those players.

Classic TR gameplay in a nutshell would be platforming and switch/key hunting, imo. Puzzles to the extent that the levels themselves are a puzzle to the player, since most are a bit labyrinth like in nature, and the player has to figure out how to navigate them and find their way to the end.

So does Rise have platforming and switch hunting? Well platforming, yes, but it's not based on momentum or timing like classic TR. So no. Switch/key hunting? Definitely not. I don't remember a single locked door in any game from the trilogy. Puzzles? Yes, but not like classic TR. I think the new games actually have great physics based puzzles unlike in the classics. So yes to puzzles, but no to classic style puzzles.

So in a nutshell, for gameplay...nah, Rise has similar elements but they're executed in a completely different way. Does that make them better or worse? Neither imo, just different.

Iconography? Well reboot Lara herself has long brown hair and brown eyes. She wears boots. She has a single pistol but her signature weapon is a bow. The environments are tombs and outdoor locations, like classic TR, so a yes there. Guess this one is kind of a mix.

For sounds, the music on classic TR was so prominent and very defining to the titles. The music in Rise imo was completely forgettable because it wasn't a focus. So a definite no from me on sound.

Overall I say there's not many classic elements, but again, this game is super popular. People really seem to like it the best out of all three, so clearly it's not a failure. Personally, I think it's ok. I don't strongly dislike it by any means, but it's my least favorite game from the reboot era.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-20, 09:56   #7
Tomb Raidering

• Croft Manor’s return. And as a consequence, the return of the Croft family drama. They’re a signature to the franchise, y’know?

• Winston’s return and Lara locking him in the freezer canonically.

• Venice Violins on the record.

• The Classic skins and the re-imagined Antarctica outfit.

• The TRII Jade Dragon easter egg.

• The TRC Golden Rose easter egg.

• The “Hmmm, I’m not strong enough,” line. Clearly from AoD.

• I mean, Lara’s desert tanktop outfit is clearly a reference the OG default one.

• The return of puzzles, and bigger tombs.

• Swimming, even if not ‘flexible’.

• The grapple. Clearly a reference to the LAU. Or were they out of ideas?
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-20, 20:38   #8
Raider8

I'll go with Kapu and TombRaidering. They've put valid points. There were not many classic elements in rise but the ones we got were really nice. Also as kapu said, most people really did like rise (even I'm a big fan of rise). The game was very nicely done and had no tribal crap that became the focus. Triniy (although it was just a sub-group seemed powerful and well equiped) better portrayed in rise, Shadow just blew it away with it's stupid truth about trinity and it's leader linking everything to Paititi which just killed it for me.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 01:53   #9
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
• Croft Manor’s return. And as a consequence, the return of the Croft family drama. They’re a signature to the franchise, y’know?

• Winston’s return and Lara locking him in the freezer canonically.

• Venice Violins on the record.

• The Classic skins and the re-imagined Antarctica outfit.

• The TRII Jade Dragon easter egg.

• The TRC Golden Rose easter egg.

• The “Hmmm, I’m not strong enough,” line. Clearly from AoD.

• I mean, Lara’s desert tanktop outfit is clearly a reference the OG default one.

• The return of puzzles, and bigger tombs.

• Swimming, even if not ‘flexible’.

• The grapple. Clearly a reference to the LAU. Or were they out of ideas?
Nice list.

I'd also point that:

- Explorer backpacks are clearly a reference to the classic one

- The Cistern side tomb is clearly a small nod to TR1.

Didn't the photo of Lara and Richard in the ruins also first appeared in this game too? One that was a clear reference to the photo from the first film when Lara is chilling on her chair being all sad about it being 15th of May. I think it first appeared in Lara's mural right???
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote