Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-09, 15:19   #391
na_th_an

All my questions have been addressed, but I just wanted to say that I absolutely admire Mr Eric Lindstrom and I consider him to be one of the best things to happen to the TR franchise ever.

You saved Lara Croft, I will always be grateful for that.

Thank you Eric.
Old 12-01-09, 15:20   #392
ZIP!2009

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Raid View Post
I agree on you here. That is not what all the drama is about though. Apparently people from Eidos have claimed here that the DLC was new and not cut from the game.

Now I don't know if this means 1. never intended to be in the game (so stuff they ditched very early in the process), or 2. created specifically for the DLC.

But if they meant option 2 by saying 'not cute from the game', than that would be a lie, since we have learned today part of it was old stuff from the game.
i understand that, but if it had turned out eidos lied to its fans about everything?...then it would be bad for tomb raider. we dont want that,eidos could turn around and say..well you lot can make your own games and end tomb raider. we would be devastated, tomb raider has alot to give, and fans need to stop bashing eidos at every wrong turn..its not good for them or us.
Old 12-01-09, 15:20   #393
CrystalGecko

I don't really have any questions about Tomb Raider past, present or future.

I have been playing Tomb Raider since it first came out. I was in my twenties then. I am a female gamer and straight (in case anyone is wondering) and I love Lara Croft. I have enjoyed playing through her many adventures including the recent ones by Crystal Dynamics & Angel Of Darkness...I still havn't got through Legend, Anniversary & Underworld (yet) as I like to take my time. As for people who complain about storylines - why don't you read a book? Thats what books are for. Games are for having fun & enjoying yourself without worrying too much about characters getting killed etc. As long as there is a beggining, middle & end and straight forward gameplay...I am usually happy. Maybe people try to read to much into what goes on in games to just enjoy them. If they really are serious about getting a good storyline into Tomb Raider, hire a proper writer. Someone who actually is good at writing...most of the time it is just developers ideas that get used & knitted together...

I think it is wrong to fire people based on sales...this happened where I used to work. If you didn't sell well you got fired. It is a horrible situation to be in. Apart from that we are in an economic slump at the moment (a recession here in the UK) people just may not be paying out on the brand new games and are waiting to get pre-owned ones instead...I know I do!

I am sure I would buy Tomb Raider whoever made her...it would take something pretty bad for me to go off it...for example if they changed Lara too much or the locations got to boring/hard.

Lara Croft will always be an icon...even my grandparents know who she is!

That is all I have to say on the matter...
CrystalGecko
Old 12-01-09, 15:24   #394
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamula View Post
Carbonek 0051: No cheats in Underworld because even cheats take development time, and it was clear in the final months that we needed to spend all out time on the up front game. We had some pretty cool things we could see, but couldn't afford even a half-day to put them in. I hesitate to say this because people will be jealous, but one of our animatorss put different models on Lara's rig and it was hilarious! He put the Med Sea shark on Lara's rig, so you could play the game in what looked like lara wearing a shark costume. He also made one that was tomatoes, a big one for a body and a small one each for lara's arms and legs. God, we wanted to put that on the disk, but couldn't.
Haha

Sounds like that would have been funny to see or even play around with. Shame it wasn't featured, but like I said I enjoy Underworld for it is not what it could have been. Thank again for your time Eric.
Old 12-01-09, 15:25   #395
Love2Raid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIP!2009 View Post
i understand that, but if it had turned out eidos lied to its fans about everything?...then it would be bad for tomb raider. we dont want that,eidos could turn around and say..well you lot can make your own games and end tomb raider. we would be devastated, tomb raider has alot to give, and fans need to stop bashing eidos at every wrong turn..its not good for them or us.
I am not saying they lied about everything, or even lied about this. I am just saying that there are some discrepancies between what Eric is saying, what passing_by (whoever he/she is) is saying, and what the Eidos people (Keir, Jay) have been saying.

But I am not accusing anyone of telling lies right now, just to clarify
Old 12-01-09, 15:26   #396
Dia2blo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGecko View Post
I don't really have any questions about Tomb Raider past, present or future.

I have been playing Tomb Raider since it first came out. I was in my twenties then. I am a female gamer and straight (in case anyone is wondering) and I love Lara Croft. I have enjoyed playing through her many adventures including the recent ones by Crystal Dynamics & Angel Of Darkness...I still havn't got through Legend, Anniversary & Underworld (yet) as I like to take my time. As for people who complain about storylines - why don't you read a book? Thats what books are for. Games are for having fun & enjoying yourself without worrying too much about characters getting killed etc. As long as there is a beggining, middle & end and straight forward gameplay...I am usually happy. Maybe people try to read to much into what goes on in games to just enjoy them. If they really are serious about getting a good storyline into Tomb Raider, hire a proper writer. Someone who actually is good at writing...most of the time it is just developers ideas that get used & knitted together...

I think it is wrong to fire people based on sales...this happened where I used to work. If you didn't sell well you got fired. It is a horrible situation to be in. Apart from that we are in an economic slump at the moment (a recession here in the UK) people just may not be paying out on the brand new games and are waiting to get pre-owned ones instead...I know I do!

I am sure I would buy Tomb Raider whoever made her...it would take something pretty bad for me to go off it...for example if they changed Lara too much or the locations got to boring/hard.

Lara Croft will always be an icon...even my grandparents know who she is!

That is all I have to say on the matter...
CrystalGecko
I would love to agree with you for the sake that i think gameplay is a hugely important aspect of the games, but personally i look to games for storylines, soundtracks etc. as i feel they have much more of an impact because of these features. Some of my favourite games are only because of the stories, and when you have such a fantastic character to work with as lara croft, a decent story is to be expected!

Oh and Mr Lindstrom, you have often mentioned going back to the storyline, when you come online i would really like to hear what you have to tell us

Last edited by Dia2blo; 12-01-09 at 20:50.
Old 12-01-09, 15:35   #397
ZIP!2009

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Raid View Post
I am not saying they lied about everything, or even lied about this. I am just saying that there are some discrepancies between what Eric is saying, what passing_by (whoever he/she is) is saying, and what the Eidos people (Keir, Jay) have been saying.

But I am not accusing anyone of telling lies right now, just to clarify
oh dot worry I get you, and there is no way to say who is lying
its a little conspiracy in itself
maybe the remaining employees need to sit down and have a discussion
i wonder if this sort of thing happens in development of prince of persia or ratchet and clank??
Old 12-01-09, 15:37   #398
Squamula

Awake again. Skimmed what I missed...hi, Justin! I'm really sorry for what's going on with "passer by" ... I think it might be a ot of misunderstanding, not willful antagonism. I would go myself and look for posts by Keir and Jay myself to see what they say about DLC content, but really, it's like Justin said, if they did go on about there being no content that was cut from Underworld, it was likely that they honestly didn't know, being on the other side of the pond. And DLC isn't a lot of recycled stuff anyway...there is much more new content than Undwerworld content, and all that I said about untold stories is true...I really can't say more until the DLC is released, though...I can come back to it then.

Oh, and not to cause a row or anything, but I wasn't going to get into the whole Story story until after I caught up with the myriad questions being asked, or saw that the same questions are being asked because the thread is getting long. In fact, in the sake of time, I'll write "already answered that" when this happens, so please don't take offence at my terseness...it's not impatience talking, just me trying to go as fast as I can. I want to answer all the questions I can, but I also have to push the cat off my lap, change out of my pajamas, and get looking for a new job today!

More answers in a moment, picking up where I left off...
Old 12-01-09, 15:39   #399
Rivendell

I've had a thought about something - when you get onto the topic of TR:U's Story -

Who built the Jormungandr Device in Helheim?
Was it the Atlanteans? Or a race older than the Atlanteans? If so, who?
I'm asking because I'm sure it's bound to have been discussed.

Old 12-01-09, 15:40   #400
CrystalGecko

Wink

Which was why I suggested they hire a better writer...I know storyline is important to fans these days but I don't think it was so back in the early days of TR1/TR2 etc...you were just happy to get Lara through a level alive and in one piece (or if you was as bad a player as I was in those days, several pices...lol)

I think the problem is that gamers do want more these days...it has to look good, sound good etc. I suppose I am a dinosaur when it comes to gaming. I only recently got the XBox 360 and I am enjoying the recent TRs on there. I find the handling of Lara much easier on that console than the PC and I was an avid PC user.

I will admit I don't play many games...in the past I have played games like the Alien vrs Predator series, The Sims/The Sims 2 (not very taxing but very time consuming), Silent Hill, Ridge Racer as well as Tomb Raider so I am no gaming expert...but every other similar puzzle/explore type game I tried didn't compare to Tomb Raider. I tried the Indiana Jones PC game once...a similar idea to Tomb Raider but he moved like a tank. He was slow & clumsy. I missed the running & jumping Lara Croft so I returned to Tomb Raider.

I just hope that whoever does do the next game doesn't sacrifice too much or make the game unplayable...judging by some threads if they did everything the fans said, I would never be able to complete the game!

CrystalGecko
Closed Thread