Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 27-10-16, 23:43   #5771
Boobandie

It's so amazing to see this stuff. I turned 21 yesterday and my friend Nathan brought them to my attention, best surprise ever! Thank you ashka, we really appreciate your hard work sourcing this, and more importantly the Core team for making it.

You guys really gave the right balance between the original maps and a modern interpretation, I absolutely adore what you've done with the greek levels as they were my favourite in TR1.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 00:11   #5772
the_legend

ahhhhhh super excited
the_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 02:35   #5773
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashka View Post
We honestly worked really hard to get this stuff. It's very difficult to get this out of people who try to move on since TR didn't end very well for them. One of the guest on one of the TR20 events, for example, was criticized for her work very badly and as a result it took me years to get an interview with her and it was a huge surprise when she attended the event. This is not directed at you Victor, just for other people on previous pages.

Even Murti is a prime example, took him years to finally release stuff (YES WE HAVE TONS OF AOD STUFF TO PUSH OUT AS WELL, STARTING TOMORROW) because of criticism that AOD had. So the comments like "ugly " or "hideous" screenshots from clearly a work-in-progress Maya Viewport does not make it easier for us to receive more material. If it is something that you don't enjoy sometimes it is probably for the best to just ignore. These people don't get paid for sending us stuff, and frankly I don't get paid for publishing it or organising events. Whoever sends us stuff thinks that fans still want to see their work.
I particularly often link Core members to TRF threads with praise to Core but then there's always a post or two with something really mean and horrible. Basic self-awareness would go a very long way. Remember, people who did the artwork can also go online and read your comments. Took us ten years to finally get some media, let's just appreciate it?

But yes we are lucky to receive this stuff and we hope for more.
PS. @Victor, no Natla unfortunately but we have someone else
I can imagine what a open wound TR must be for them. But there 2 things some of them need to realize: I'm sure most mean comments are made because they have no idea the original artists will ever read them. It is a lot easier to say something looks ugly when you don't think the people who made it will know what you said.
And also most people don't have even the basic knowledge of game making/3d stuff so it leads to comments such as we just saw, because these people don't know how any better. So if they see something they won't immediately jump to the conclusion that it lacks lighting, alpha channels etc, they'll simply think that's all there is to it. They also might forget that a single level isn't the work of 20 different people, but only a handful or even single one.
So as bad as comments are, it's because they never though the guys at Core would read it.

But I hope ex Core members eventually realise that, for each bad comment they get, they'll have 10 praising them They are still much loved here, and hopefully they'll give us more info and screens (and even TRAE itself, but that is just wishful thinking of my part </3) because despite the fact they haven't released a TR game in over 13 years, they have a very loyal and supportive fan base. Their work influenced not only the gaming industry but also many of our lifes for ever.

And if there is any ex Core member reading this: thank you for making the games that were such a big part of my childhood and helped me shape into the person I am today, your work is what inspired me to follow the path of my career today and each one of you will always have a special place in my heart <3
andpleasereleaseTRAEkthnxbie
lol jk.... or am I?

And Ash: awesome I'm really excited to know who it is and see how they look! 10 years of wondering how the other characters look Oooh my!
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 06:37   #5774
kacpy

I don't know if I'm one of those "other people" (a stretched texture is a stretched texture), Ashka, but let me ask if you are saying the same things to very vocal haters of post-Core games in this thread, too? (Maybe you are, I'm not that active - I just wanted to point out the other "disrespectful" posts, too.)
kacpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 06:49   #5775
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I am a bit confused by the screenshot of the full map because I can't see that one trap room from the second trailer anywhere in it (the one with the orange wall paint).

This is that room. The TR1 moving columns are missing but you can see the holes in the walls where Lara ducked in and out. In the trailer it's looking at the opposite wall. Looks like they were planning to change the puzzle. The sand on the floor would prevent moving blocks by standard TR logic.

I understand why the red and orange are gone from the walls. The level never really did match the earlier ones in the location. Using similar bricks to the other structures in the previous levels makes it fit more. It's not like it's grey anyway. Look at that green moss, and the colourful tiles on the floor. Even when core are doing a grey brick texture it's vibrant. Oranges and reds would be reintroduced with lighting, those torches being a prime example.

Last edited by Boobandie; 28-10-16 at 06:54.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 07:24   #5776
kacpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
I understand why the red and orange are gone from the walls. The level never really did match the earlier ones in the location. Using similar bricks to the other structures in the previous levels makes it fit more. (...) Oranges and reds would be reintroduced with lighting, those torches being a prime example.
Sure, this does make it more in sync with the earlier "open" areas but did it really have to be? I don't think the color scheme in Tomb of Qualopec was so out of nowhere considering the last area of City of Vilcabamba (of course that area could also look different in TRAE). I know this is unfinished/unlit (and it may very well be nostalgia speaking) but from your screenshots I think I prefer the feel of the original. (I did not dislike TRA's ToQ and I guess you did basing on the part I edited out of the quote.)

Last edited by kacpy; 28-10-16 at 07:25.
kacpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 08:10   #5777
ggctuk

Quote:
We honestly worked really hard to get this stuff. It's very difficult to get this out of people who try to move on since TR didn't end very well for them. One of the guest on one of the TR20 events, for example, was criticized for her work very badly and as a result it took me years to get an interview with her and it was a huge surprise when she attended the event. This is not directed at you Victor, just for other people on previous pages.

Even Murti is a prime example, took him years to finally release stuff (YES WE HAVE TONS OF AOD STUFF TO PUSH OUT AS WELL, STARTING TOMORROW) because of criticism that AOD had. So the comments like "ugly " or "hideous" screenshots from clearly a work-in-progress Maya Viewport does not make it easier for us to receive more material. If it is something that you don't enjoy sometimes it is probably for the best to just ignore. These people don't get paid for sending us stuff, and frankly I don't get paid for publishing it or organising events. Whoever sends us stuff thinks that fans still want to see their work.
I particularly often link Core members to TRF threads with praise to Core but then there's always a post or two with something really mean and horrible. Basic self-awareness would go a very long way. Remember, people who did the artwork can also go online and read your comments. Took us ten years to finally get some media, let's just appreciate it?

You know, I 100% agree with this. You see this problem everywhere. It is disheartening when somebody goes and trashes your work without knowing you actually had to work at it to get to that point.

That said, I'm going to agree with everybody above and say that for every hater, there's a dozen people who support your work, and that makes it worth it. Trust me, anything shared by these guys is something we should be appreciative of, especially seing as they don't have to share anything with us at all. It's really, really nice that ten years after the project's cancellation, we're getting to see more of what looked to be a very promising and entertaining remake and reimagining of the first game.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 08:16   #5778
ashka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacpy View Post
I don't know if I'm one of those "other people" (a stretched texture is a stretched texture), Ashka, but let me ask if you are saying the same things to very vocal haters of post-Core games in this thread, too? (Maybe you are, I'm not that active - I just wanted to point out the other "disrespectful" posts, too.)
There's a fine difference between saying things about the ongoing product that you're paying money for and between being "disrespectful" of the artwork that was given to you.
ashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 08:23   #5779
dcw123

Ooooh AOD stuff aswell - will be cool to see.
AOD is still one of my favorite TRs - beautiful animations and the fact Lara can grab and climb onto pretty much anything.

Will be awesome to see some new screens and things - I'm still yet to buy the 20th Anniversary Book.. I've got about a week to wait until I can get it..
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 08:28   #5780
Hazelphoenix

Quote:

It's kinda painful to learn about this, I knew Murti had a hard time trying to swallow the bitter pill but I see where he's coming from honestly, knowing how AOD has been trashed and badmouthed by fans, press, general public and software houses alike for the past 13 years. It's not easy to whitstand such a negative pressure and go on like nothing ever happened, so it's only logical he wasn't willing to open up to people from the fandom in general. Glad this changed though, and after meeting him I can say for sure he deserves all the praise he gets. A super awesome human being.

Didn't know about others who felt hurt by the mean comments around the internet though, sorry to hear that. Hope they all know, deep in their heart, that a LOT of people (not just a small minority like someone always loves to point out) still care about them and cherish every single effort they've done to keep this saga going, both during good times and bad times. Nobody's perfect, everyone is bound to commit mistakes sooner or later, that's what should be kept in mind. Core misstepped and (unfairly) paid for their errors, that's not to say it can't happen to someone else in the future...

Either way, I'm grateful something has changed lately and we're receiving more exclusive goodies about AE. They in no way owe us anything, and if they still decided to do so it just means they care about us and this franchise despite everything.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote