www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 01-06-19, 17:05   #3191
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanosCroft View Post
Yes, things changed in the bad way once reaching P*ititi. Tho I liked that abandoned little village where you find Etzli for the first time, it reminded me of Vilcabamba.
I still think that evil-wild paititians would have worked better; I mean, the dark atmosphere of the reveal trailer was amazing.

At least they could have made the cult scarier, they had a lot of historical material to take inspiration from to build a creepy setting but they kind of decided to tone it down (they even almost removed blood completely).
CD had been really good at making a scary cult in TR13, the Solarii were really creepy (caves full of dead bodies, blood everywhere, the ritual of burning women alive, geothermal caves with cannibals inside.... I really felt like Lara was in danger; the cult never gave me that impression, and neither the Yaaxil, the first encounter was really good but after that they lost their "scary factor").

It's a shame because some of the best sections of Shadow were the darkest scenes: the jaguar fight, the first encounter with the Yaaxil in the Cenote, the sacrifice scene, etc.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 01-06-19 at 17:07.
Grizzly Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 19:28   #3192
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
I still think that evil-wild paititians would have worked better; I mean, the dark atmosphere of the reveal trailer was amazing.

At least they could have made the cult scarier, they had a lot of historical material to take inspiration from to build a creepy setting but they kind of decided to tone it down (they even almost removed blood completely).
CD had been really good at making a scary cult in TR13, the Solarii were really creepy (caves full of dead bodies, blood everywhere, the ritual of burning women alive, geothermal caves with cannibals inside.... I really felt like Lara was in danger; the cult never gave me that impression, and neither the Yaaxil, the first encounter was really good but after that they lost their "scary factor").

It's a shame because some of the best sections of Shadow were the darkest scenes: the jaguar fight, the first encounter with the Yaaxil in the Cenote, the sacrifice scene, etc.
Exactly, that's exactly what I thought the game was going to be. I loved the idea of Lara being hunted for a change and maybe being completely out matched and out manuvered. Lara trying to dodge Gators and killer apes while being hunted down by skilled hunters, that would have been something.

But unfortunately we have the boring version were everyone is nice and everything is so rosy. Barely anything dark or shocking happened in that place which made me hate it so much more besides the outfit restriction.

From all the promotion I was expecting a pretty dark game, but the whole thing ended up being practically nothing.

I think that's why I rag on Shadow so much. It isn't just really because of classic stuff, it's because the whole build up of the game being this dark and chilling Adventure, on par with AOD, was what go me really excited about the game originally.

But everything turned out to be roses besides some dude being killed on the pyramid that we actually don't get to see as the camera focuses on the slow walk.

That's what's so frustrating now that I think of it. The reboot games, especially 2013 have been marketed for being dark and gritty, but that was completely lacking in Shadow besides the tsunami at the beginning.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 01-06-19 at 19:29.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 19:42   #3193
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
That's what's so frustrating now that I think of it. The reboot games, especially 2013 have been marketed for being dark and gritty, but that was completely lacking in Shadow besides the tsunami at the beginning.
I actually agree. My mind’s been going back to the CGI trailer recently and I’m beginning to wish that dark, ominous vibe had been represented in the game. Paititi certainly would’ve been more interesting if it was sinister rather than mundane.
Old 01-06-19, 19:55   #3194
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

I must be the only one (or one of the very few) who was glad Paititi wasn't a graveyard and that "dark and gritty" didn't make it into Shadow.

Sun, greenery, blue waters, Isabela...honestly, I welcome this direction.

Especially after 2013 and Rise. These two fill my heart with anxiety and sadness.
Old 01-06-19, 20:04   #3195
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
I must be the only one (or one of the very few) who was glad Paititi wasn't a graveyard and that "dark and gritty" didn't make it into Shadow.

Sun, greenery, blue waters, Isabela...honestly, I welcome this direction.

Especially after 2013 and Rise. These two fill my heart with anxiety and sadness.
I am not really bothered by the atmosphere in Shadow either to be honest. Sure if it was a bit darker it would have been even better, but there's more other concerning stuff about SOTTR that bother me more. Rise and 2013 are too tense, from beginning to end what reigns is a sense of dread.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 01-06-19 at 20:06.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 20:10   #3196
biscuits
Professor

The CG trailer had a much richer atmosphere than the entire game. I expected to see an atmosphere similar to that of Mel Gibson's 2006 movie, Apocalypto, which is a movie featuring Mayan culture. And a Mayan protagonist. That movie was far more enticing, compelling, and atmospheric than Shadow could ever hope to be. How it managed to make Mesoamerican culture look both lame and boring is beyond me.

Last edited by biscuits; 01-06-19 at 20:11.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 20:23   #3197
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
The CG trailer had a much richer atmosphere than the entire game. I expected to see an atmosphere similar to that of Mel Gibson's 2006 movie, Apocalypto, which is a movie featuring Mayan culture. And a Mayan protagonist. That movie was far more enticing, compelling, and atmospheric than Shadow could ever hope to be. How it managed to make Mesoamerican culture look both lame and boring is beyond me.
I love Apocalypto, Mel Gibson did an amazing job with that movie. In that movie there is a deep tension and a strong feeling of fear and anxiety that is missing from Shadow; they could have kept the "good" paititians and made the cult scarier, exactly like in Apocalypto.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 01-06-19 at 20:27.
Grizzly Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 22:05   #3198
Robwood
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
You just put a thought into my head!

Lara enters Paititi from the Abandoned Village to find a civilization long since dead, but comes with an air of mystery. She sees dead bodies lying in fields, by the river in the fishing district, and beside animal pins. Those who work in shops are slumped over their tables while residents are either sitting in their homes or lying in their beds. The children are found in either homes or in play areas--maybe even in a cave or two. What makes their deaths so mysterious isn't just how the entire population died instantly in the middle of their activities but also because the entire area is perfectly preserved! Despite being dead for hundreds of years, all the inhabitants and animals appear to be sleeping. On top of that, all of the food--from the crops to the stashes to the shops...even to the meals on the tables--seem to be fresh. But, whatever caused all this is nowhere to be found. It's touch, however, hasn't forgotten the feeling of life and Lara quickly begins to succumb to its presence.
Old 01-06-19, 22:25   #3199
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwood View Post
You just put a thought into my head!

Lara enters Paititi from the Abandoned Village to find a civilization long since dead, but comes with an air of mystery. She sees dead bodies lying in fields, by the river in the fishing district, and beside animal pins. Those who work in shops are slumped over their tables while residents are either sitting in their homes or lying in their beds. The children are found in either homes or in play areas--maybe even in a cave or two. What makes their deaths so mysterious isn't just how the entire population died instantly in the middle of their activities but also because the entire area is perfectly preserved! Despite being dead for hundreds of years, all the inhabitants and animals appear to be sleeping. On top of that, all of the food--from the crops to the stashes to the shops...even to the meals on the tables--seem to be fresh. But, whatever caused all this is nowhere to be found. It's touch, however, hasn't forgotten the feeling of life and Lara quickly begins to succumb to its presence.
The curse of helltaiti
Old 02-06-19, 18:43   #3200
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

So I've been going back to play the DLC tombs, (I bought the Croft Edition that came with the season pass, but never played any of the tombs beside the first two that came out) and I didn't realize that there are actual cutscenes and story for the tombs? I had been accessing the tombs by using the main menu which cuts out all of that story content and just puts you directly into the tomb. It's weird that they don't mention this at all? Idk, maybe I missed something?

Anyway, I've been going through each DLC tomb and I have to say, I'm very impressed with the DLC. Sure, they are all basically fetch quests for random nobodies, but the tombs are really well designed, some of them better than others in the puzzle department, but they've all been really fun.

The Nightmare is definitely my favorite so far, I actually played through the tomb already, I went through the main menu to play it when it first released so I never got to see the nightmare sequence and what a shame that was! It was so well done! This was such an effective way of portraying Lara's PTSD and guilt she's still dealing with, and I like that the shadow Lara can be interpreted as Lara's suicidal thoughts, I think that's a very interesting yet unexplored theme of Lara's internal struggle. This whole sequence was way better than anything else they've done to try and achieve this throughout the trilogy. Makes me wonder how much better this trilogy could've been with better writers.

EDIT: Oh my god, I'm QUAKING. One of the characters in the forge DLC told Lara her hair could be better! The tea!!

Last edited by Daft Raider; 02-06-19 at 20:20.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote