Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 12-05-19, 17:42   #21
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
....In fact TR5 is the only game where there is one place the crawl mechanic annoyed me. That was the Black Isle > Old Mill right near the end where you jump to the barn then either have to crawl back into the narrow entrance space or crawl and roll forward into it.

It is very pedantic there on the positioning and first play through I had to refer to guide just to check I was in the right place and had not missed anything. I was and I had not it was just a precise positioning issue..
The problem was the really bad fixed camera view at that location, that made it difficult to see where and how young Lara had to crawl. This has been mentioned a lot over the years .

I do not mind crawspaces in general, though many custom games with Lara trying to enter half click high crawlspace entrance from a vertical ladder can be difficult, as sometimes Lara will not raise her body into the crawlspace with the normal controls, so you have to lift her up towards the crawlspace entrance and drop her on the top of the ladder so she is hanging there, and then that will let her go in with normal controls. Not sure why that happens, but it does. At least there is the above solution
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 21:18   #22
Maverin

I don't know why but TRIV felt like a step back in some ways, compared to TRIII. For example:
  • dead enemy bodies now disappear
  • draw distance got reduced and it really shows
  • levels are shorter and now split into different segments
  • A.I. is sometimes lazily coded (assassins have 100% accuracy and magically turn towards Lara no matter how you move)
  • harder to keep track of your statistics per location
  • crazy amount of shotgun ammunition
  • Lara becoming transparant when using the look function
  • Sometimes a sound bug when pulling up a ledge (as if it played twice in a row)
  • Underwhelming and few boss fights

There are more of course but to me personally, it really felt like a step down from TRIII. And I agree, the crawling didn't really improve the experience. Although it's not the worst either. And I agree with Noah, it adds to the whole tomb raiding atmosphere.

As for Cairo. It's not my favorite section either, but it was never supposed to be beautiful. It wasn't meant to impress with sunshine and beautiful Egyptian paintings or sculptures like we saw before. Instead it's supposed to show a poor city in chaos and I think it does that fairly well. You get horror vibes from it which I quite like since it adds tension. Although it shouldn't have been any longer than what we've got.

In my opinion it's Gaza where the quality really starts to drop. The puzzles there aren't as original anymore and show few signs of effort. The environment is very lazily designed and often tedious and there is just not much going on.. you just go over a thousand pits and you have to repeat the same thing like a hundred times.

The first half of the game is definitely the best. That's where it shines and where it impresses. I do like the game overall though, don't get me wrong!

Last edited by Maverin; 12-05-19 at 21:22.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 21:42   #23
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I don't know why but TRIV felt like a step back in some ways, compared to TRIII.
I hugely disagree . TR4 is heaps and bounds above the rest of the classics imo , especially TR3 , TR4 overhauled the classic formula and actually took steps into reinventing it and enriching it with new and unique ideas instead of some stale ones , most importantly in the puzzle department .

I didn't mind the enemies disappearing or Lara becoming transparent with the look button , and most of the examples you listed are well-justified by TR4's ambitious approach to the huge non-linear hub design that later got featured in the reboot games , but the PS1 engine was already showing its age .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 23:18   #24
larafan25

I love crawlspaces.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 02:54   #25
Girafarig32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
Forget the crawlspaces. Who's idea was it to make it so you had to hold down crawl in order to squeeze into a crawlspace from a ledge unlike the previous game.
I agree with this.

Also it was kind of random and unnecessary. The amount of crawling in TR4 was a bit much. I think I remember the Lost Library being especially heavy with this.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 08:19   #26
thabani33

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Does this bother anyone else? It's not just Cairo there are more than a tolerable amount, but still a heap more than the rest of the game, especially when Cairo's gameplay is so, so very monotonous and visually ugly.
I finished Chronicles first before playing Last Revelation so I was expecting a few setbacks in Lara's abilities and moves so I didn't mind the gratuitous crawlspaces and the lack of the crawl jump, but boy! Cairo as a whole made me feel depressed by just looking at it.
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 10:22   #27
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
What makes Cairo so amazing to you?

I find it aesthetically ugly because of the sickly green sky, dark lighting and dark buildings and materials.
But... that was the entire POINT.
Its called in-direct storytelling
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 10:47   #28
Woops

I honestly really really love Cairo. It has more gameplay aspects than all the other areas. Heck, it's my favourite right after Chronicles' Ireland.
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 15:36   #29
dg1995

I think levels got shorter with more loading screens because they focused on having more texture variety and better character models compare to TR 3.

TR 4 also made movements better, added invincible enemies, better puzzles , ropes , poles and first person aiming for some weapons.

Also I never felt that draw distance becoming worse than TR 3.

Last edited by dg1995; 13-05-19 at 15:37.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 19:29   #30
Maverin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
I think levels got shorter with more loading screens because they focused on having more texture variety and better character models compare to TR 3.

TR 4 also made movements better, added invincible enemies, better puzzles , ropes , poles and first person aiming for some weapons.

Also I never felt that draw distance becoming worse than TR 3.
I personally disliked the invincible enemies and the ropes were a mess. Puzzles were great though and the poles were nice too.

Draw distance truly did decrease. Most likely due to the hardware limitations of the PS1 and to compensate for the other graphical updates. It's not noticeable everywhere because most of the time they designed their levels in such a way that you don't get to look far into the distance. But I noticed it in Sacred lake for example, as well during several sections in Giza.

Last edited by Maverin; 13-05-19 at 21:42.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote