www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 26-01-20, 18:21   #1
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Lightbulb Random Facts About Tomb Raider

You can post any random fact or trivia about Tomb Raider in this thread.
So here I start:

• The TR1 and Chronicles skins in Rise aren’t really the models of their representive games. It’s the TR2 model re-textured.

• In TR1’s Mac release, Lara says ‘Aha’ a la TR2.

• Legend Lara was modeled after AoD Lara.

• Temple of Osiris Lara and ROTTR Lara shares the same face polygonally.

• In SOTTR, Lara was going to get her hair braided by a Paititian hairdresser.
Old 26-01-20, 18:33   #2
Joey79100
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
• Temple of Osiris Lara and ROTTR Lara shares the same face polygonally.
I knew they looked too similar to be a coincidence.

In the classics, the engine actually has code that allows Lara to roll in air while jumping sideways. They just never made the animations.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 19:41   #3
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
I knew they looked too similar to be a coincidence.

In the classics, the engine actually has code that allows Lara to roll in air while jumping sideways. They just never made the animations.
First I've heard of that, I guess it couldn't look right, the regular backflip and turn already is prety jank.

AOD and Chronicles are the only Core-Design Tomb Raider games with respawning ammo.

Kurtis's Boran-X is actually the same design (Browning Hi-Power) as Lara's pistols in gameplay/CGI art of 1-3 and the in-game models of 4-5, makes me wonder if it was done initally that way as a nod to the older ones or if the Vector R-35 was added because of the movies.

The Magnums do more damage than the Uzi's in Tomb Raider 1, the Uzi's just fire that fast.

Lara's pistols change between 3 different designs in Last Revelation/Chronicles. Browning High-Power in-gameplay, Colt 1911's in the inventory/some FMV cutscens in Last Revelation and Desert Eagles in FMVs in Both Last Revelation/Chronicles.

The Mercenaries in AOD actually only get KO'd for a few seconds from the dart gun as opposed to "dying" like the other human enemies effected by it.
Old 26-01-20, 20:09   #4
MBog
Archaeologist

Lara Croft was initially named Laura Cruz and they found her current name in a phone book to make it sound more british

in tr3 Lara was supposed to have a knife to cut spider webs or plants. she would have hide it in her boot. this was later transformed in the crowbar in tr4 ~ i believe

Last edited by MBog; 26-01-20 at 20:11.
MBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 20:18   #5
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
Interesting. I think I’ve heard this in the TRLE section...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Lara's pistols change between 3 different designs in Last Revelation/Chronicles. Browning High-Power in-gameplay, Colt 1911's in the inventory/some FMV cutscens in Last Revelation and Desert Eagles in FMVs in Both Last Revelation/Chronicles.
Really? I never noticed this! Thank goodness the company that did the FMVs for TR4 and TR5 never did anything anymore for Tomb Raider... All those inconsistencies in the FMVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBog View Post
Lara Croft was initially named Laura Cruz and they found her actual name in a phone book to make it sound more british
I never believed this story. Where’s the real Lara Croft after all these years? Is she dead or something? If something like that happened to me {my unique name getting famous} I’d have sued the ones that used my name...
Quote:
in tr3 Lara was supposed to have a knife to cut spider webs or plants. she would have hide it in her boot. this was later transformed in the crowbar in tr4 ~ i believe
I remember this. But the TR4 crowbar was the evolution of the TR3 crowbar. Related fun fact:
• Lara was going to roll a la LAU in TRIII but this move got deleted because it was buggy. Lara went into walls.

• The crawlspace roll-out move from TR5 is coded in TR4 but disabled. Probably because of bugs...

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 26-01-20 at 20:22.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 20:25   #6
Zsott
Archaeologist

-TR3 at some point had a usable knife
-Early Crystal version of AoD Lara is buried in the Peru flashback level
-Lara has an extra line in RoTR, when she uses the third trebuchet in Kitezh (I never saw anyone mention it):

Normally, when it's free to use, Lara gets attacked. Your goal is eliminate the archers, then shoot the gate.
Now, if you shoot the gate first, she going to shout at them: Ha!Direct hit!

proof:

-In AoD, if you shoot the cleaner with automatic weapons (scorpions are the best choice) in mid/close range, then his animation of falling down the stairs will play.
-In Von Croy's apartment, every floor is properly connected (one starcase is blocked, the other will blow up)
- TRA's lost valley is different on psp, than on PC
-in reboot 2013, there was a hunter, or Mathias himself, who'd give Lara some fetch quests
- in TRU, if you aim the mjolnir at Natla and shoot, then she will teleport to an another location
- Amanda was somehow nearby the lost island, by the time of TRA. After Lara escaped the island, she dug up Natla. (TRU PDA journal entry)
-In TR1, Lara was supposed to have a braid, but because of the technical limitations, it got removed. (if I'm not mistaken, that braid is still located in the game's files)
-In TR3, the jungle level can be skipped, trough the trees, above the swamp
-in TR2, in the great wall level, you can climb up to the top of both guard towers
-TRA has a machine gun, works perfectly, but it is only available in the test level

proof:

Last edited by Zsott; 26-01-20 at 20:29.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 22:53   #7
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
-TRA has a machine gun, works perfectly, but it is only available in the test level

proof:
It's the assault rifle from Legend, I guess as a left-over from them not removing the code entirely for it.

I wonder if it's possible to mod it into other levels? but it seems to use the shotgun "slot" so it's possible that the data for it is missing.
I guess it was simply left in since it's the same engine, pretty sure it wouldn't fit the Timeframe of TRA. (Considering how its quite a modern design.)
Old 27-01-20, 01:17   #8
LaraCablara
Professor

Animations were made but not used for a 180 monkey swing turn, being hit while crawling, picking up objects while on all fours, hanging from the rope with just hands, and some weird one for moving from rope to rope.

I guess they never made a knife a thing because the Area51 level would make no sense unless they let her massacre the guards with a knife somehow.

Last edited by LaraCablara; 27-01-20 at 01:19.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 01:24   #9
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
It's the assault rifle from Legend, I guess as a left-over from them not removing the code entirely for it.
I'm 100% sure, that if someone has the debug exe, it can be done easily, just like in TR7 with the rocket launcher.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 13:08   #10
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
proof:
Interesting! I would have loved using it in the normal levels. It was probably either a leftover from Legend or it was considered as a weapon and ultimately didn’t made it into game because of Classic fans...

But what’s up with the shotgun that looks exactly like the spear-gun from Underworld? o.O

• The Last Revelation had a considered ending where Lara was going to get beheaded {probably by Seth}.

• TRIII had Peru levels at some point in development. The devs insist that they didn’t build the levels, it was just considered according to them.

• Chronicles and AoD share some soundtracks.

• Chronicles and AoD share some SFX.

• A deleted bossfight theme from TRIII returned in TRIV.

• The jumping-from-the-train death in TRIV uses the spike-death SFX from TRIII.

• Chronicles was going to feature a new crossbow.

• Core Design promised some new revised WADS for TRLE, but it never came. And it will never come.