Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 30-08-23, 11:35   #2321
Dennis's Mom

Or . . . you could be spouting nonsense.

If "viruses evolved to be less dangerous," then please explain why smallpox was a scourge for 100s of years.

Actually, don't. You're not a scientist, you have zero background or education in communicable disease, and I'm really sorry that someone lied to you and told you that you could understand this stuff from a Youtube video. They lied to you because they are liars and grifters.

Quite possibly my favorite Twitter thread of all time: You don't have the math.

Last edited by Dennis's Mom; 30-08-23 at 11:47.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-23, 13:01   #2322
xtimz

Someone is using the effectiveness of smallpox vaccine to prove the effectiveness of covid vaccine.
xtimz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-23, 14:03   #2323
Dennis's Mom

Someone is upset that someone proved their point about "viruses evolving to be less deadly" wrong.

At any rate, it took 19 years to eradicate smallpox. We're in what . . .year two of COVID vaccines?
Old 30-08-23, 14:07   #2324
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
You do realize the reason we think those other vaccines "work" is because the virus was virtually non-existent in the population? Anytime the virus enters the population, even vaccinated people can get measles, et.al., because NO vaccine is perfect. Hence Ben Shapiro being upset his vaccinated daughter got whooping cough because someone didn't vaccinate their kids.
[/URL]
No vaccine is perfect, but the COVID vaccines seem to be a lot less perfect.

RE: xtimz and the less lethal virus theory, it's more of a thing that the HOST becomes more resilient, rather than that the virus becomes less lethal.

In humans, consider what happened when pox-ridden Spaniards first showed up on the shores of the New World. Native populations were absolutely devastated by smallpox and other diseases, as those populations had no exposure to them previously.

It will take many years before we have a more or less COVID resistant populace, because human breeding rates are so slow.

Anyway, the MSM is now popping stories about how we may have to have "mandates" again, to "save" us. Which I take to mean that "they" will try to make us wear masks, at least in some places.
Sir Launcelot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-23, 15:41   #2325
Dennis's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
No vaccine is perfect, but the COVID vaccines seem to be a lot less perfect.

RE: xtimz and the less lethal virus theory, it's more of a thing that the HOST becomes more resilient, rather than that the virus becomes less lethal.

In humans, consider what happened when pox-ridden Spaniards first showed up on the shores of the New World. Native populations were absolutely devastated by smallpox and other diseases, as those populations had no exposure to them previously.

It will take many years before we have a more or less COVID resistant populace, because human breeding rates are so slow.
But even if they had had exposure, it's probable it would have been a scourge.

For generations. Just like it was in Europe.

Viruses don't get weaker, provide natural immunity and remain a dreaded disease for generations.

Also, I think, "So sorry, Judy, we could have saved you through basic public health safety measures, but we're going to let you get sick and die because a few generations down the line, this problem might just resolve itself" is a ****ed-up way to run a society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
Anyway, the MSM is now popping stories about how we may have to have "mandates" again, to "save" us. Which I take to mean that "they" will try to make us wear masks, at least in some places.
Yeah, I'm in a fight with a FB friend about this. He's a conspiracy nut. There may be some local recommendations, but it's all speculation for clicks. He thinks being an edge lord is something to be.

I think the source for all this is an Alex Jones show bit where he had a "TSA whistleblower". My friend has moved the goalposts multiple times and his initial proof was some .gov page geared toward youth that's brainwashing kids into accepting restrictions? I have no idea how he found it, and I'm sure some right-wing hack decided to Streisand-effect it which is where he got it.

Again, private companies have the right to require these things, but I seriously doubt many will barring a a virulent new strain that is far more deadly than previous variations.
Old 30-08-23, 19:25   #2326
Mr. Mr.

At the very least, the lockdowns aren't coming back, at least not in most countries. They weren't popular, hurt many businesses' bottom lines (some outright closed, sadly) and increased depression because people were stuck at home.

So barring a ridiculously contagious/deadly variant, things will stay open this time around. So now the question is, how to slow the spread of new variants. Well, there's wearing masks in public indoor places, but some don't want to do it for the greater good because MASKS ARE TYRANNY or some garbage. Well, there are vaccines that, while not foolproof (and BTW no vaccines are), greatly reduce your risk of dying from COVID. But oh, can't do that because [insert the literally thousands of conspiracy theories here: They're poison, contain secret tracking chips, I won't list them all].

So........ what exactly do you propose we do? Just let 'er rip and pretend like nothing's wrong, and defiantly hold big gatherings to pwn the libs? That's a horrible idea, and we all saw how well that strategy worked the first time.

Last edited by Mr. Mr.; 30-08-23 at 22:15.
Mr. Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-23, 21:20   #2327
Dennis's Mom

"Do Not Comply" is trending on Twitter which tells you all you need to know. There's no serious reason to think restrictions are coming, but the right-wingers need to engage their base, so they say things like this so they'll all scream on cue.