Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 05-12-14, 21:03   #21
tomb2player

Hey i have question: I noticed teme9 that on your screenshot all models have similar number of polygons and vertices. Original Core Design meshes are similar. But my meshes almost always has about half more vertices than polygons, for example 300 vertex and 150 polly. Am i doing something wrong?
tomb2player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 00:19   #22
sapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme9 View Post
This technique will make texturing a lot more easier but as everything this technique has its bad sides too!

Generating the textures for each polygon will cause huge amount of textures so while modelling every single polygon you create needs to be thought out - optimizing is important now more than ever! The less the better

I would also add that this is a addition to the texturing tools - it won't and it should not replace the old methods totally! Combining this method with manual texturing will ensure that the result is low in unique texture amounts and great in visual quality!
If you use no padding you can reduce the number of texinfos but the results may not be as good as with padding.

After you have the textured object in its own wad and then open and save with Wadmerger the duplicate texinfos will be consolidated.

However, Wadmerger rearranges all the textures and doesn't pack them as well as Blender so you end up with more than one texture page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
OH-MY-GOD

This made my day!

I hope as well that sapper can make it work on 3ds max. o:
Well I don't plan to since I only have access to gMax.

But don't worry.

TurboPascal is still working hard on the importer for StrPix based on the assimp http://assimp.sourceforge.net/ library and reports progress for converting UV information.

Assimp can import many 3D formats including 3DS.

I mainly coded a separate addon for Blender since at the moment assimp cannot import the latest version of .blend files.

Last edited by sapper; 06-12-14 at 00:27.
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 00:49   #23
Mordyga

[Mod edit: oversized gif removed]

I can't. That is a nice christmas gift for us!

Last edited by Titak; 06-12-14 at 15:27. Reason: Mod edit: oversized gif removed
Mordyga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 12:17   #24
teme9

Thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR2010 View Post
im betting much easier to texture outfits as well

too bad theres no way to drastically increase the text info limit

TRNG has a small piece of script that can make the engine accept more texture infos If I am not totally wrong If I remember correctly it will raise the amount of texture infos to a 32000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb2player View Post
Hey i have question: I noticed teme9 that on your screenshot all models have similar number of polygons and vertices. Original Core Design meshes are similar. But my meshes almost always has about half more vertices than polygons, for example 300 vertex and 150 polly. Am i doing something wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong! I would only guess that you use more polygons and vertices than I do. I have a quite "strong" background from mobile game graphics and I like to optimize my models so that there is no more polygons and vertices than they do need. I also use textures to fake the shape so I don't model every single detail in 3d This is something that you can learn by checking other peoples work and especially checking how other people (as for example in polycount.com) do their lowpoly work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
If you use no padding you can reduce the number of texinfos but the results may not be as good as with padding.

After you have the textured object in its own wad and then open and save with Wadmerger the duplicate texinfos will be consolidated.

However, Wadmerger rearranges all the textures and doesn't pack them as well as Blender so you end up with more than one texture page.

Well I don't plan to since I only have access to gMax.

But don't worry.

TurboPascal is still working hard on the importer for StrPix based on the assimp http://assimp.sourceforge.net/ library and reports progress for converting UV information.

Assimp can import many 3D formats including 3DS.

I mainly coded a separate addon for Blender since at the moment assimp cannot import the latest version of .blend files.
Thanks for clarifying this!
teme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 02:30   #25
tomb2player

I can't believe this - I exported mesh to .dxf format then imported again and... it drastically decreased number of vertices, now I have similar values to polygons .
You wrote couple of days ago that strpix mqo importer don't merge correctly vertices together... maybe this was the problem. It didn't merged for example 3 vertices and counted it as 3 separated
Old 08-12-14, 02:30   #26
sapper

In the object Menu in Metasequoia is an option to join close vertices.

The menu actually says "Join closed vertices".

How did you mesh get the separate vertices?
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 13:53   #27
Titak

Quote:
I can't believe this - I exported mesh to .dxf format then imported again and... it drastically decreased number of vertices, now I have similar values to polygons
Then it simply means the vertices hadn't been merged.
And merging means sort of glued together to form just one vertice, instead of two or more vertices occupying the same space.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 14:49   #28
tomb2player

Sapper, I am importing mesh as .mqo to Strpix and as I said, vertices are not merged, at least not all of them. But when I export again mesh to .dxf format and then import back, it gets fixed. I didn't knew about option you described, maybe this could help as well

EDIT: I forgot to say that it happens only with meshes made by me from scratch. I don't use in metasequia any option to glue vertices together so maybe here is the problem, I don't know

Last edited by tomb2player; 08-12-14 at 14:53.
Old 08-12-14, 18:08   #29
Titak

Quote:
I don't use in metasequia any option to glue vertices together so maybe here is the problem, I don't know
I do know.
If you don't merge (=join) vertices in Meta, they won't be joined either when exporting/saving the object. Unless you export as dfx ofcourse.

I now prefer using mqo files because you can keep the texturing intact when wanting to make small changes to an already existing object.

Going oftopic by now...
This new method sounds very promising.
I don't know anything about Blender, so I'll have to go and learn about it.
Either that or I'll switch to UV-mapping most of my objects when Meta2TR-ing my level.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 18:16   #30
tomb2player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
I now prefer using mqo files because you can keep the texturing intact when wanting to make small changes to an already existing object.
When mesh is exported and imported again in dxf format, which was previously imported as .mqo, there is no need to retexture because all textures stay intact

Last edited by tomb2player; 08-12-14 at 18:18.