Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 28-10-16, 16:13   #5791
Xopax

I can't wait!
Wish there was something Natla related, but whatever you have will surely be nice.
Xopax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 16:55   #5792
Ashnod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Not quite. I mean, yes, the things you mentioned do (and I do agree that things can sometimes get a bit out of hand on here when we're criticising Crystal's games) but this is a different situation in the sense that the games Crystal is working on will see the light of day either way, whether we complain about them or not (and most of the people criticising them are paying customers). With Core's TRAE, us getting to see more of it is directly tied to whether the people who worked on it feel like sharing more of it.
I understand the situation with CORE's TRAE is different than content currently being developed by Crystal Dynamics. But that has nothing to do with my point, which is being hateful the efforts of those developing the content.

Like I said, I'm not trying to compare the situations of the companies, only the feeling of the artists and personnel who work hard to create this content for us only to come here and be told how they must be terrible people, lazy, and uncaring.

Last edited by Ashnod; 28-10-16 at 22:20.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 20:39   #5793
Hazelphoenix

I took a peak at some of the pages dedicated to Core's Anniversary Edition in Megan's book to see if something interesting came out of it, and actually I noticed something quite odd.

There is a quote from Anniversary's game director Jason Botta that caught my attention, which is the following:

"We had absolutely no idea" said Crystal Dynamics' Anniversary game director Jason Botta, when asked about the day the Core trailer went online. Immediately after putting Legend to bed, they were tasked with starting a ten-year tribute. "After we were in production, that video leaked on the PSP one and it hit everyone on the team as a complete surprise"

(Should this be against the rules, mods feel free to edit my post. Since the book already came out I figured it wouldn't be illegal to post this)

He clearly implies that Crystal wasn't aware of Core's version until the trailer leaked onto the web, and this came as a huge surprise to all of them. Apparently, Eidos asked Crystal to do the same thing and start a remake after they were done with Legend, making it easier to believe that both software houses were working at the same time on the same project without knowing anything about each other's work.

However, Core's producer at the time they were developing AE, Steve Pritchard, wrote a bunch of comments on a fan page a while ago, and this bit is particularly interesting in relation to Botta's statement:

"The last presentation to the SCi board had Gav and I demoing the Playstation version AND the PSP version, both of which had co-op gameplay in it. They were rough around the edges, still some way from alpha, but if you knew the original game well you could see where we had added real fan service, extra content and just cool stuff that expanded on the original narrative. It felt good to show off, it was received well, but that last presentation had us re-introduced to Toby Gard and some of the CD team who were there to see it. Two days later we got the news that they were going to do the Anniversary project, using their engine and tech from TR Legend. And that was that."

So, Core held a few meetings to showcase their progress with the remake and the last one involved Toby Gard and some Crystal member too surprisingly. Two days later they were told the project was cancelled, meaning that Crystal was actually aware of their project even before the trailer leaked and Core got canned, and clashing with Botta's version of the facts.

So... Did Crystal know about this secret project of Core before the cancellation, or not? Some things don't quite add up.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 20:56   #5794
ashka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
I took a peak at some of the pages dedicated to Core's Anniversary Edition in Megan's book to see if something interesting came out of it, and actually I noticed something quite odd.

There is a quote from Anniversary's game director Jason Botta that caught my attention, which is the following:

"We had absolutely no idea" said Crystal Dynamics' Anniversary game director Jason Botta, when asked about the day the Core trailer went online. Immediately after putting Legend to bed, they were tasked with starting a ten-year tribute. "After we were in production, that video leaked on the PSP one and it hit everyone on the team as a complete surprise"

(Should this be against the rules, mods feel free to edit my post. Since the book already came out I figured it wouldn't be illegal to post this)

He clearly implies that Crystal wasn't aware of Core's version until the trailer leaked onto the web, and this came as a huge surprise to all of them. Apparently, Eidos asked Crystal to do the same thing and start a remake after they were done with Legend, making it easier to believe that both software houses were working at the same time on the same project without knowing anything about each other's work.

However, Core's producer at the time they were developing AE, Steve Pritchard, wrote a bunch of comments on a fan page a while ago, and this bit is particularly interesting in relation to Botta's statement:

"The last presentation to the SCi board had Gav and I demoing the Playstation version AND the PSP version, both of which had co-op gameplay in it. They were rough around the edges, still some way from alpha, but if you knew the original game well you could see where we had added real fan service, extra content and just cool stuff that expanded on the original narrative. It felt good to show off, it was received well, but that last presentation had us re-introduced to Toby Gard and some of the CD team who were there to see it. Two days later we got the news that they were going to do the Anniversary project, using their engine and tech from TR Legend. And that was that."

So, Core held a few meetings to showcase their progress with the remake and the last one involved Toby Gard and some Crystal member too surprisingly. Two days later they were told the project was cancelled, meaning that Crystal was actually aware of their project even before the trailer leaked and Core got canned, and clashing with Botta's version of the facts.

So... Did Crystal know about this secret project of Core before the cancellation, or not? Some things don't quite add up.
Here's a year old interview with Core where this situation was commented on
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/0...core-design/3/
ashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 21:20   #5795
Blackmoor

Quote:
I took a peak at some of the pages dedicated to Core's Anniversary Edition in Megan's book to see if something interesting came out of it, and actually I noticed something quite odd. [...]

We can't know for certain, but on the balance of probabilities, I'd say Crystal knew before the Core version was cancelled.

As well as the Core employee interviews saying that Crystal knew... At the time when the TRAE trailer leaked, someone on here linked a Crystal employee's social media page / blog (something like that) where this person talked about how they at Crystal Dynamics were so shocked & nervous when they heard that Core were making a 10 year anniversary edition of TR1, and that they were worried that Core were going to get the franchise back. And that Crystal worked to ensure that did not happen.

I tried to find it on here before but couldn't. But it definitely happened because I remember reading the blog, etc.

I don't blame Crystal for fighting to keep the franchise, however I will say this concerning Eidos / SCi - for god's sake did they not realise that the FANS would want the original creators to remake TR1 for the 10th Anniversary celebration? Have they never been fans of anything? [I suppose they did have Toby Gard on TRA - but to me it's obvious that in no way was he in charge of the direction the game went in, he was only a consultant]

Also, if Crystal did know, and I think they did, I think it would be better if they just said they knew. I'd respect that.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 28-10-16 at 21:23.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 21:23   #5796
CheshireBitch

I hope the model you'll show is another character than Lara and Melissa, I would just LOVE to see how Larson, Natla, Pierre,ect... looked like !

Thanks a LOT for all of this !
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 08:07   #5797
Hazelphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
As well as the Core employee interviews saying that Crystal knew... At the time when the TRAE trailer leaked, someone on here linked a Crystal employee's social media page / blog (something like that) where this person talked about how they at Crystal Dynamics were so shocked & nervous when they heard that Core were making a 10 year anniversary edition of TR1, and that they were worried that Core were going to get the franchise back. And that Crystal worked to ensure that did not happen.

I tried to find it on here before but couldn't. But it definitely happened because I remember reading the blog, etc.
Is this what you're referring to? (There's also your post )

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...66159&page=207

Quote:
This is hilarious. When I first heard it I thought it was a joke but apparently Core the UK developer that created the Tomb Raider Franchise in the 90's was very very busy while we were wrapping up Tomb Raider: Legend. In a last ditch effort to remain a company they were hard at work trying to take a project right from under our noses. Check out this video, in it you will notice that it's Lara Croft and what...she's raiding tombs. But what isn't initially apparent is the fact that we had NOTHING to do with this. We just found out that Core was trying to sell this Tomb Raider to SCi and take back the franchise right from under us. You can imagine that most of the staff here at crystal was not too please by the move and we all would be downright ****ed if we lost that IP. But luckily, SCi did not bite on the project and Core has recently been bought out by Rebellion. The weight of the situation is huge. I mean here they probably spent 6+ months developing this half game and in the end nothing comes of it. I love it, serves them right, and anyway, after Angel of Darkness came out, who wants Core to handle any project anymore? Especially Tomb Raider, they beat it into the ground. Cheers, TGIF.
I still can't help but cringe everytime I read this mess
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 08:14   #5798
ggctuk

Heaven help them if they ever have a single public misstep with the Tomb Raider franchise (let's be fair, AoD had a load of good ideas, but it was a single public misstep that they could have easily been allowed to rectify), because they'll have the same done to them that Core did.

Could you just imagine what would happen if other publishers took that stance? For instance, EA would have pulled Battlefield from DICE and handed the franchise to somebody else.

Or perhaps that thought did not enter the mind of the person who wrote that hogwash. I wonder if he has any retractive thoughts on what he wrote... probably not. The funny thing is, TRAE still garners attention, ten years after it was canned, while their own LAU trilogy gets less and less attention.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 08:35   #5799
ESCachuli

Every time I read that, I feel the urge of burning everything related to Crystal Dynamics. It's the meanest thing I've ever read. I really hope next game fails miserably and get the franchise out of their hands. They don't deserve a thing.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 09:00   #5800
lizardspock110

Quote:
Quote:
This is hilarious. When I first heard it I thought it was a joke but apparently Core the UK developer that created the Tomb Raider Franchise in the 90's was very very busy while we were wrapping up Tomb Raider: Legend. In a last ditch effort to remain a company they were hard at work trying to take a project right from under our noses. Check out this video, in it you will notice that it's Lara Croft and what...she's raiding tombs. But what isn't initially apparent is the fact that we had NOTHING to do with this. We just found out that Core was trying to sell this Tomb Raider to SCi and take back the franchise right from under us. You can imagine that most of the staff here at crystal was not too please by the move and we all would be downright ****ed if we lost that IP. But luckily, SCi did not bite on the project and Core has recently been bought out by Rebellion. The weight of the situation is huge. I mean here they probably spent 6+ months developing this half game and in the end nothing comes of it. I love it, serves them right, and anyway, after Angel of Darkness came out, who wants Core to handle any project anymore? Especially Tomb Raider, they beat it into the ground. Cheers, TGIF.
Utterly Disgusting. Shocking. They clearly have zero respect for anything Core created. They try so hard to make core look bad, they clearly were a really big threat even though they constantly deny it.
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote