DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

The Matrix PS5 demo is to be delisted
https://www.playstationtrophies.org/...this-week.html
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-22, 13:14   #192
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Yet another dumb decision by the local council.

Long story short a piece of paper came through the letterbox a few days ago saying that the council would be doing a trial run of changing the traffic layout where I live by installing a cycle lane, this will be done by blocking an entire road for the cycle lane, this means that the right turn that we take to get to the city centre will be inaccessible and will be for cyclists only, two way access will be maintained on one road only for residents but everyone else will not be accommodated.

They claim that advanced warning signs will be put up in the immediate area I call bull 💩 on that, a year or more ago the same local council tried the same thing at an intersection on the main road heading into the city centre.

They blocked one part of the intersection and put temporary bollards there to create a cycle lane and didn't bother putting up signs to say that the right or left turn depending on what direction you were coming from was no longer accessible, one driver didn't know that the right turn was no longer accessible until he tried to take the right turn the car that was waiting to get through the intersection had to reverse to let him through.

It was there for a month during which time no-one used it it was then removed, the temporary not used cycle lane was an inconvenience to everyone like the residents and businesses in the area.

It was a stupid idea to do a trial run of a cycle lane at an intersection of all places with traffic constantly passing by, many years ago I went to stay with someone for a week, when I went home they went ahead of me in the car with my stuff while I followed on my bicycle I spent 25 minutes waiting at a very busy intersection waiting for the green light to cross the road, I wasn't going to try and cross the road with all that traffic coming from all sides at various speeds.

There is opposition to the planned trial as there should be there are speed bumps already installed in the area to slow traffic down, housing estates don't need cycle lanes or the clutter that the council intend to put on the roads like cones, bollards or temporary planters as part of the trial.

If it isn't broken don't fix it.

It's a half baked idea from the bad ideas department and it shouldn't go ahead, very few people if any around here use bicycles anyway.

I'm not against the idea of a cycle lane I'm against it being around here as it's not necessary, main roads would be a better place for cycle lanes as long as they don't block intersections.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote