www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 18-01-21, 09:56   #39341
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Tenet

I wasn't going to watch this because of the mixed reviews but in the end I was drawn in because it was about time travel. And how often do we even get a time travel film?

Anyway, it has a really interesting central premise / concept (or, gimmick, depending on how you feel about it) around which the story unfolds.

It's cleverly put together in that regard, and the concept *is* an interesting one, and I don't recall seeing it done before.

However, where it falls down is that the actual story beyond this "mechanism" is bare bones and dull.

If the writer could have come up with an equally interesting story to wrap around the complex central concept, if the central character (the protagonist) had an emotionally gripping story, then this would have been a really good film. As it stands at the moment, it's a novelty that doesn't quite work.

It still kept my interest to the end though. The main guy (John David Washington) was good and so was Robert Pattinson.

7 - 8 /10
Old 18-01-21, 13:01   #39342
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
And how often do we even get a time travel film?
More often than you think nearly every Star Trek movie and TV show has featured time travel except for Star Trek Picard which has no time travel yet, have to wait for Picard season 2 to see if time travel will feature in season 2.

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe all featured time travel so did Dark Matter in one episode of season 3 they accidentally travel back in time to the 21st century.

Trying to think of a TV show or a movie that doesn't feature time travel is difficult as time travel is so frequently used.

Next to Zombies which have been done to death, time travel is the second most used plot device in movies and TV shows.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 13:50   #39343
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post

Trying to think of a TV show or a movie that doesn't feature time travel is difficult as time travel is so frequently used.
Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, The Expanse, Dollhouse, ...

In all seriousness, though, the overuse of time travel is one of my biggest problems with Star Trek.

Specifically, the idea that changing the past is a good thing because we live in a crapsack present. The number of occurrences someone messes with time, willingly, because they are utterly convinced that whatever present overrides the one they currently live in will be better is vast.

One of the biggest offenders on this front to me was an episode of Voyager where Kim and Chakotay decide to undo fifteen years worth of time because they cannot move past the destruction of Voyager. These two individuals decide that everything that has happened since the Voyager was lost, all children born, all romances, all advancements in science, all life that has happened in that fifteen years, is meaningless in the context of stopping the destruction of this one ship.

It is convenient, to us as the audience, that the characters who take these actions never make things worse. They never bring about a worse future for themselves. Time is conveniently and cleanly altered.

And I hate how often Star Trek does this.

I was soooooooooo relieved in the Star Trek film where the changes made by Nero, such as the destruction of Vulcan, were not undone by the end of the film. The changes to time happened and the characters in that present simply had to deal with them. There was no effort to undo them, to set things "right."

For all the faults of the Kelvin timeline might have, at least THAT wasn't one of them.

Last edited by Ashnod; 18-01-21 at 13:51.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 17:30   #39344
perryloo
Explorer

Talking about star trek, I just never liked the new series Star trek discovery, its story line was so dark and the crew had animosity to each other, did not like the characters and the klingons spoke like the clangers (an old childrens TV program )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6CoIwcJ-E

But, at the same time as Star trek discovery was on TV another show called 'the Orville' appeared starring Seth MacFarlane , and it was fantastically funny and so Star trek like, in fact almost like Star trek the next generation. As a star trek fan I loved it, but not Discovery. and the reason being is that the crew of 'the orville' gelled together, much like the Star trek format of old.
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 19:23   #39345
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, The Expanse, Dollhouse, ...

In all seriousness, though, the overuse of time travel is one of my biggest problems with Star Trek.

Specifically, the idea that changing the past is a good thing because we live in a crapsack present. The number of occurrences someone messes with time, willingly, because they are utterly convinced that whatever present overrides the one they currently live in will be better is vast.

One of the biggest offenders on this front to me was an episode of Voyager where Kim and Chakotay decide to undo fifteen years worth of time because they cannot move past the destruction of Voyager. These two individuals decide that everything that has happened since the Voyager was lost, all children born, all romances, all advancements in science, all life that has happened in that fifteen years, is meaningless in the context of stopping the destruction of this one ship.

It is convenient, to us as the audience, that the characters who take these actions never make things worse. They never bring about a worse future for themselves. Time is conveniently and cleanly altered.

And I hate how often Star Trek does this.

I was soooooooooo relieved in the Star Trek film where the changes made by Nero, such as the destruction of Vulcan, were not undone by the end of the film. The changes to time happened and the characters in that present simply had to deal with them. There was no effort to undo them, to set things "right."

For all the faults of the Kelvin timeline might have, at least THAT wasn't one of them.
Which Battlestar Galactica are you referring to the original or the remake, I prefer the remake I've seen very little of the original I can only remember one scene from the original Battlestar Galactica where they made it to Earth and a kid used an invisibility gadget from Galactica to get his revenge on another kid who had been bullying him, that scene and the theme from the original are all I can remember from the original.

That Voyager episode you mention is one of my favourite Voyager episodes, seeing Voyager hit the ice like that, Geordi La Forge being a Captain and Harry watching the message from his future self are my favourite scenes.

I'm not the biggest fan of the JJ Trek movies, the first of the JJ Trek movies is the best one, the second movie is a copy of The Wrath of Khan and Benedict Cumberbatch was miscast in the role, he felt out of place in Star Trek, Cumberbatch should stick to movies that aren't Star Trek Cumberbatch and Science Fiction just don't go together.

Two things I remember from the second movie Admiral Pike removing Kirk from command of the Enterprise because he violated the Prime Directive by revealing the Enterprise to the primitive aliens at the begining, JJ clearly knows nothing about the Prime Directive interfering with a pre-warp civilization by switching off the volcano with their fancy device is a violation of the Prime Directive, revealing the Enterprise to the aliens is not a violation of the Prime Directive.

The other thing that was annoying Spock and Uhura's bickering over their relationship got irritating very quickly, that should have been kept off mission and to the very bare minimum when they weren't on a mission, what they should have done was contact Jeremy Kyle over subspace and let him sort them out.

As for the third JJ Trek movie it's got the weakest plot of all 3 JJ movies with the bad guys motivation for seeking revenge against Starfleet not really made clear in the movie, it wasn't until after I saw the movie that I read somewhere that his reason for seeking revenge against Starfleet is that the message he sent to Starfleet went unanswered because of subspace interference which is a lame reason to seek revenge.

The worst parts of the movie were using a Beastie Boys song to destroy the whatever it was that was attacking the Snowflake space station, sending a starship over the edge of a mountain to jumpstart the engine and Kirk riding a motorbike.

When Kirk rode the motorbike I said to myself this just became Star Trek Fast and Furious edition, any minute now Dom Toretto and his team are going to show up to save Kirk and the others from themselves.
Old 18-01-21, 20:13   #39346
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
More often than you think nearly every Star Trek movie and TV show has featured time travel except for Star Trek Picard which has no time travel yet, have to wait for Picard season 2 to see if time travel will feature in season 2.

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe all featured time travel so did Dark Matter in one episode of season 3 they accidentally travel back in time to the 21st century.

Next to Zombies which have been done to death, time travel is the second most used plot device in movies and TV shows.
Yeah, I agree, but I did say movies not TV shows!

But what I really meant by that was films where time travel is what the film is about, that it's the main element of the story.

I mean, Star Trek also feature lots of wars and fighting, but they aren't considered war films. They include romances between characters but they aren't a romance film.

They're space operas that incorporate many elements and may include time travel but that doesn't necessary make them time travel films (although some of them could be, I can't remember the plots of most of them).

A time travel film (as I'm meaning it) will have the time travel be what the film is about, like Back to the Future or Looper. And I think these are a bit rarer.
Old 18-01-21, 20:42   #39347
Los Angeles
Inactive

Dawson's Creek. I always wanted to watch that show and it's finally on Netflix. Love the first episodes so far.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 21:57   #39348
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryloo View Post
Talking about star trek, I just never liked the new series Star trek discovery, its story line was so dark and the crew had animosity to each other, did not like the characters and the klingons spoke like the clangers (an old childrens TV program )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6CoIwcJ-E

But, at the same time as Star trek discovery was on TV another show called 'the Orville' appeared starring Seth MacFarlane , and it was fantastically funny and so Star trek like, in fact almost like Star trek the next generation. As a star trek fan I loved it, but not Discovery. and the reason being is that the crew of 'the orville' gelled together, much like the Star trek format of old.
I didn't like Discovery either I watched a few episodes from its first season then stopped and didn't bother watching anymore episodes after that, I especially hated the way the Klingons talk very slowly and for what feels like hours, forget counting sheep if you want to fall asleep quickly just watch the Klingons talk.

4 things that bothered me the most in Discovery.

1 A puny human killing a Klingon warrior with one blow to the head that's very unlikely, a Klingon warrior would never be that easy to kill.

2 The reason the Klingons decided to declare war on Starfleet is lame, it's stupid that they decided to declare war on Starfleet because Starfleet deployed a communications relay, I know Klingons love a fight but going to war because of a communications relay is just really stupid, the Klingons in other Star Trek TV shows wouldn't go to war over something as trivial as the deployment of a communications relay.

3 The Federation ships being more advanced than Captain Kirk's Enterprise despite being set 10 years before The Original Series, the ships in Discovery have holographic communications technology, forcefields and the spore drive, Kirk's Enterprise never had any of that stuff, I don't like the look of Discovery either since the ships class type hasn't been mentioned on screen AFAIK since I stopped watching Discovery I call them the pizza cutter class ship.

4 Spock suddenly having a human sister when according to the canon that existed prior to Discovery being made that Spock has no human siblings, Discovery is nothing more than a soap opera set in outer space, all that's missing is the EastEnders theme, for season 3 they will probably do an incest story between Spock and his sister.

They might even do a Dallas inspired who shot JR story, if they can have a sister for Spock where previously none existed then they can do anything.

Discovery should be cancelled it's not Star Trek, they don't even do any exploring or visit and planets like the crews in previous Star Trek shows did, every episode of Discovery I saw took place inside the ship trying to get the spore drive working, in addition to that Discovery's characters appear to be very lacking in intelligence.

In one episode of Discovery a character released a dangerous creature that killed the entire crew of another ship and was quickly beaten to death, does Discovery's version of Starfleet not include an IQ test as part of the entrance exam for Starfleet Academy.

I too like The Orville, it's everything that Discovery should be and most importantly it's funny Discovery could learn a lot from The Orville in how to make a show fun to watch.

The one change they need to make with Discovery is get Ensign Tilly Discovery's only likeable character who isn't full of herself like the rest of the characters off the ship and send her to The Orville she'd fit right in on The Orville, she could beam aboard The Orville and say I'm from Star Trek Discovery get me out of here or alternatively I'm from Star Trek Discovery please don't send me back.

The only thing I dislike about The Orville and it's nothing to do with the show itself is how for the shows third season it was moved to a streaming service I can't remember which one, anyway I'm not signing up to a streaming service to watch one TV show I'll either get it on DVD or just download it, why couldn't they leave it as it was and have it on TV and whatever streaming service they moved it to simultaneously, if it isn't broken don't fix it.
Old 19-01-21, 00:03   #39349
Rai

Room, with Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay. Omg, this is incredibly well acted and very emotional. Jacob Tremblay who plays five year old Jack is so good. Based on the novel by Emma Donoghue.
Old 19-01-21, 16:58   #39350
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air Reunion.

Pity Uncle Phil couldn't be there RIP James Avery wherever he is I'm sure he was watching.

Two of my favourite Uncle Phil lines are ones that were said by other characters.

Geoffrey the Butler, if that's a groove then the Grand Canyon's a ditch.

Will Smith waiting for Uncle Phil to decide what drink to order.

Uncle Phil I don't know I just can't seem to decide.

Will, well sir we've got all 3 flavours of Slim Fast.