www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 31-10-19, 10:59   #1
killchan
Explorer

Default Interactions: contextual vs consequential (aka Should TR take notes from Zelda BoTW?)

When you think of actions such as opening doors, climbing walls, destroying stuff, picking up items etc., in TR (classic and modern) we're used to being able to climb only specific parts of certain walls, open tiny little doors with nothing other than the right tool for the job (e.g. a crowbar found in a box hidden in strange corner of a random room with nothing else in it) and all that stuff.

BUT

What if we could just kick that door down with anything that deals damage, or climb every single wall on the map as long as we have enough stamina, or be able to hit that huge bell up there with a random object we find on the ground instead of having to find a random revolver with laser sight someone left in a canteen for no reason, or make actual use the grappling hook?

Last edited by killchan; 31-10-19 at 11:00.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 11:14   #2
Portugalraider
Professor

Yes and no and my opinion.

Yes in the case that everything that looks climbable should be, and that a physics systems as sinergetic as the on in BotW could be very interesting in terms on puzzle, combat and level design.

But I don't think Tomb Raider should have as many degrees of freedom than BotW has, especially in the climbing department. It's a bit hard to explain, but I feel that making literally everything climbable would take away the challenge from climbing and platforming (having to figure out the correct way). And I think a stamina meter would be terrible for Tomb Raider: AoD proved it.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 31-10-19 at 19:06.
Portugalraider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 11:24   #3
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

I'm open to new experimentations, but please don't ever bring stamina bar back. That was so terrible. Never again.

I don't think TR should have everything climbable - maybe multiple paths to reach a place (which already happens to some degree - such as for example, in ROTTR when you start to climb the tower to meet Ana inside, there's two ways you can start making your way up (though, both converge rather quickly)
Old 31-10-19, 12:11   #4
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

I agree that everything that looks climbable should be climbable, but we should not climb literally everything.
More Assassin's Creed than Breath of the Wild then. The fun with Tomb Raider is to find your way to reach a place. You have to look carefully, to use your platforming skills or/and to solve puzzles to reach this place. I love BOTW freedom but pushing the stick to climb your way is boring (fortunately the stamina and the weather make it a little bit more interesting). If I want Tomb Raider to take inspiration to this Zelda, it's about the fact you could deal with dungeons in the order you want. I would like a non linear set of levels/sections.
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 15:35   #5
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Iím all for the next game taking lots and lots of inspiration from BOTW. Without a doubt one of my favorite games, and I think TR would great benefit from taking notes.

Iím still a tad unsure about an open-world element but if itís done as masterfully as BOTW, then Iíd give it a shot.
Old 31-10-19, 20:02   #6
Cal20608
Student

I like the idea that everything that looks climbable should be and if I see something in the distance I can somehow get there but I think there should be limitations like smooth rock canít climb that. I also think that the would should look natural and not just by looking at it you can see the path from A to B.
Multiple paths would be more favorable and new mechanics to get there not just shimmying and axe climbing.
Old 01-11-19, 07:17   #7
XXIIXX
Student

Not really no.

Wouldn't be opposed to the idea of the developpers taking inspiration from Assassin's Creed though when it comes to climbing on stuff, like Chamayoo already suggested. But not Legend of Zelda.

Last edited by XXIIXX; 01-11-19 at 07:19.
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 14:02   #8
killchan
Explorer

Ok, time for my take, I guess.

Being able to climb everywhere would allow for less obvious solutions, and also push the player to do some actual thinking: instead of having all those "no **** Sherlock" moments where you turn the camera and say "Oh look, that looks that's where I rappel down" and "I guess that's where I climb up" (memory is all you need if you think about it), just make everything climbable/pickaxe-able etc and leave the rest to Lara and her climbing gear (grappling hook, pickaxe, rope ascender...).

Also, maybe not a stamina system, but a limitation the grappling hook's lenght and stuff like that. And why not, possibly a slo-motion button to make complex decisions on the fly (literally ).
The rest would be up to the level designers of course, they're the ones in charge of designing levels around the character's capabilities.