www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-20, 21:20   #1
mathew9r
Professor
 
mathew9r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the depths of Hell, waiting.
Posts: 3,083
Default TR2 Revival(name pending) - Offshore Rig level attempt

It's been a long time since I did one of these, still being a classic user of the NGLE editor and simple things I decided a few weeks ago to take one of my fav levels from TR2 and try to completely overhaul it including objects textures the lot.

This took a good 3 weeks of nonstop work while I learnt more advanced 3d modelling and attempted to upscale and enhance old textures, but I finally finished it.

Offshore Rig:
- Created nearly all new objects, texturing of objects isn't exactly my forte but they work regardless.
- Added new lighting to give it that impression the suns setting like on the old horizon.
- Upscaled and detailed textures from 64 to 128(I never liked using anything over 128).
- Working with engine limitations to recreate those special objects you can't normally copy over.

Of course I used some objects from TRSearch which I have credited in the video description but enjoy the long playthrough of it, I just hope it isn't as bad as I feel like it is hah!



I'm aware of a few bugs like textures and a glitch on the video which was caused when recording but besides that it's all good.

If I get the time again, I might do the Diving Platform and maybe release the stuff to the public, or if it's well received take it further and maybe redo the entire game!

Seriously I swear video compression or such ruins the true lighting of a video which makes it look washed out though...

Anyway thoughts welcomed!
__________________
TR2 Revival Project - Bringing Tomb Raider 2 into the modern age remastering!
mathew9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 01:27   #2
DaroRaider
Historian
 
DaroRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Juan, Argentina
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathew9r View Post
Anyway thoughts welcomed!
It's a perfect masterpiece!
I would suggest you to include the "A-ha" sound when you pick an item up.
What do you think? After all you are trying to recreate the environment of the old TR2 with the best accuracy. I would take it in account..
__________________
To ensure that you are doing a good project is to feel that you are enjoying it.
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 05:48   #3
tlr online
Administrator
 
tlr online's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 57,885
Thumbs up

This looks really good.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 11:05   #4
mathew9r
Professor
 
mathew9r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the depths of Hell, waiting.
Posts: 3,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaroRaider View Post
It's a perfect masterpiece!
I would suggest you to include the "A-ha" sound when you pick an item up.
What do you think? After all you are trying to recreate the environment of the old TR2 with the best accuracy. I would take it in account..
Ah yes I forgot about that, could be very easily achieved, heck might be able to get the old animation working if I go back into it more.

Tbf it's stuff like this which makes me want to push on more with this, might need to consider doing Diving Platform soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
This looks really good.
Heh thanks, I suppose over the vast years I've learnt so much I've decided to just pick it up again and go full steam, who knows, might even revive the entire game in a new light depending on limitations and working around them.

EDIT:
Working on the Title Level as I thought it needed one haha

__________________
TR2 Revival Project - Bringing Tomb Raider 2 into the modern age remastering!

Last edited by mathew9r; 03-03-20 at 18:02.
mathew9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 19:09   #5
Gaga
Hobbyist
 
Gaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 70
Default

Looks awesome, althrough, personally, i'm a little burned out with the TR2 remasters/revivals. I would love to see someone put this amount of work into a TR1 or TR3 remasters, but that's just my opinion. Never the less, it looks great! Good luck.
__________________
STUPID LOVE
Gaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 11:10   #6
mathew9r
Professor
 
mathew9r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the depths of Hell, waiting.
Posts: 3,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaga View Post
Looks awesome, althrough, personally, i'm a little burned out with the TR2 remasters/revivals. I would love to see someone put this amount of work into a TR1 or TR3 remasters, but that's just my opinion. Never the less, it looks great! Good luck.
Tbf I'm rarely ever active on these forums now so I wouldn't have a clue to what's going on here and there, it was more of a technical push for myself with custom 3d modeling and texture enhancing.

However depending on if I remake the diving platform to show off what I can do and release it, I might actually work on a tr3 remaster if people actually want that haha
__________________
TR2 Revival Project - Bringing Tomb Raider 2 into the modern age remastering!
mathew9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 21:05   #7
sackboy123
Tomb Raider
 
sackboy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockfort Island
Posts: 16,453
Default

Just work on what you want to do, if you want to Remake TR2 if you want to test your limits. We do have two TR2 Remakes atm and a TR3 would be nice, but seeing everyone's different ideas is what I love seeing as every TR2 Remake will be different
__________________
Replaying TR4
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 23:47   #8
Gaga
Hobbyist
 
Gaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathew9r View Post
Tbf I'm rarely ever active on these forums now so I wouldn't have a clue to what's going on here and there, it was more of a technical push for myself with custom 3d modeling and texture enhancing.

However depending on if I remake the diving platform to show off what I can do and release it, I might actually work on a tr3 remaster if people actually want that haha
There have been multiple attempts to remaster/remake TR2, although it is my FAVORITE TR hands down, I would just like to see more love for the other classic editions in the series.
But like Sack said, build what you want to build.
I'm actually building a TR2 style level with the Venice BTB package myself and hoping I can show off some screen shots soon.
(If I can fix my room geometry, i'm a perfectionist. )

My comment wasn't in any ill taste at all btw or to discourage you to work on this project, just leaving a comment here and there since i'm barely on the forums nowadays myself.
__________________
STUPID LOVE
Gaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 23:48   #9
mathew9r
Professor
 
mathew9r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the depths of Hell, waiting.
Posts: 3,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
Just work on what you want to do, if you want to Remake TR2 if you want to test your limits. We do have two TR2 Remakes atm and a TR3 would be nice, but seeing everyone's different ideas is what I love seeing as every TR2 Remake will be different
That's true, though I feel it's like I don't wanna take the limelight away from the already two remakes going on.

I do have some great ideas for TR3 If I decide to go down that road, might even remake my fav levels to see how well that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaga View Post
There have been multiple attempts to remaster/remake TR2, although it is my FAVORITE TR hands down, I would just like to see more love for the other classic editions in the series.
But like Sack said, build what you want to build.
I'm actually building a TR2 style level with the Venice BTB package myself and hoping I can show off some screen shots soon.
(If I can fix my room geometry, i'm a perfectionist. )

My comment wasn't in any ill taste at all btw or to discourage you to work on this project, just leaving a comment here and there since i'm barely on the forums nowadays myself.
I get it dw, I too love it but I suppose its due to the uniqueness of the chinese origin story.

A plan to remake the entire game wasn't exactly on the books and that the offshore rig levels were the ones I really wanted to spruce up, but after being liked across various social media sites(friends n all haha) I had put in mind in remaking the entire thing slowly...but now I wanna also give TR3 a crack at.
__________________
TR2 Revival Project - Bringing Tomb Raider 2 into the modern age remastering!

Last edited by mathew9r; 08-03-20 at 23:52.
mathew9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.