www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 02-03-20, 21:22   #61
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Death is not too big of a penalty. Especially today when games have checkpoints all the time. Nothing wrong with one failure killing the character. Games should be like a rollercoaster, with some sections (generally ends of sections) being harder than others. So that then the games can play with the gamer's emotions. So insta-kill is actually a good game design element, to be used in conjunction with other elements, to be used to elevate games, to contrast with other non-instakill parts.
In deadly obsession difficulty of shadow(the difficulty setting i played shadow) death was a huge penalty that meant replaying 1 hour section.

Last edited by dg1995; 02-03-20 at 21:37.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 23:31   #62
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
In deadly obsession difficulty of shadow(the difficulty setting i played shadow) death was a huge penalty that meant replaying 1 hour section.
Your point?
Old 02-03-20, 23:42   #63
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
And if you actually browsed the forums you would know that Shadows deadly obcession is poorly designed. It is not difficulty, it's artificial difficulty.

Is this why your against insta kill traps because Shadow is a very poor example of that style of Tomb Raiding. I tried deadly obcession myself and I can speak to how bad it is. Luckly you can get the same stuff like health Regen disabled on One With The Jungle, which is the difficulty I'd recommend 1000% for that game.

Other games who do difficulty right have insta kill traps that aren't broken or frustrating as Shadow.
Old 03-03-20, 00:16   #64
Error96
Explorer

I don't mind instant kill traps or some where you have injuries. I think the problem is with activation. I would much rather go back to the classic system of having a piece of creepy music alert you to a dangerous area and you have to be prepared to dodge traps in normal play. It would be an improvement over a slow-motion or tripwire set-up.
Old 04-03-20, 10:30   #65
ANoDE
Gold Membership

I'd opt for a mixture of both. There are things that obviously kill a character - say - a boulder crushing them, a sword chopping their head off and so on. There's also things that just hurt - like running through barbed wire, getting shot from (poisonous) darts, etc. And there's things that continously inflict damage - like fire, poison, coldness, etc.

I'd like to see a game with a well designed mixture of all of these. It should provide challenge without being overly frustrating.
Old 05-03-20, 13:52   #66
Eliana Croft
Hobbyist

i honestly think it's balanced this way, in the older games yes it was very frustrating but i wasn't too mad about it either, i hate the fact that in the recent trilogy you had so many options to avoid it ( slow motion mechanic) which was unrealistic and it just seemed wrong.
Old 10-03-20, 20:07   #67
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
All TR games were always easy.

In classic games you can just use the quicksave/quickload tactic whenever you have difficult booby traps in your way.
I'm not sure this has been brought up yet, but that isn't entirely accurate.

For consoles, save crystals determined where and when you could save. So, in TR1, for example, a PlayStation player would potentially have to repeat large swathes of the game if Lara died via a trap.

There was no quicksave / quickload during the PSOne / Saturn era, at least for some of the titles. Having to replay large amounts of the game due to a single mistake is partially why the CORE-era titles were believed to be so difficult amongst the console audience. You could be replaying 30-40 minutes of game time, depending on your skill level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
And if you actually browsed the forums you would know that Shadows deadly obcession is poorly designed. It is not difficulty, it's artificial difficulty.

Is this why your against insta kill traps because Shadow is a very poor example of that style of Tomb Raiding. I tried deadly obcession myself and I can speak to how bad it is. Luckly you can get the same stuff like health Regen disabled on One With The Jungle, which is the difficulty I'd recommend 1000% for that game.

Other games who do difficulty right have insta kill traps that aren't broken or frustrating as Shadow.
I personally disagree with this assessment. Deadly Obsession is the closest I've come to re-experiencing the difficulty of the first game when save crystals were involved. Mileage varies, of course. I'm not saying you're wrong, only that my perspective is different.

Last edited by Ashnod; 10-03-20 at 20:11.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-20, 21:21   #68
Lyle Croft
Relic Hunter

Shadow's deaths were ugh.

I ilked Rise's highest mode because the basecamps were actually spaced out nicely. Shadow's was just unfair
Old 11-03-20, 23:34   #69
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Some slower death traps like the slowly desceinding spike ceilings are fun, but we can also have the instant death traps. A balance makes things trickier and keeps you alert.