www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 14-03-20, 16:24   #1
Locke217
Archaeologist

Default Is it possible to edit the base TR4 with TRLE features?

This maybe belongs more in the TR4 forum but I was just wondering, Iíve seen edits to the .exe file for TR4 that made adjustments to the engine, like removing the climb delay or making grenades do damage to Lara.

What I wanted to ask was if itís possible to add custom moves into TR4.
Specifically Iím interested in the ones that would speed the game up a bit:

Removed climb delay (already possible)
Flip out of crawlspace move
Somersault in crawlspace move
Faster shimmy move

I assume adding these things into TR4 wouldnít be so simple, but Iím ever curious considering how much we work with the TR4 engine on this forum.
Old 14-03-20, 16:57   #2
Krystian
Explorer

Adding new animations or adding changes to existing ones is technically possible by opening the already compiled tr4 level files with a suitable program (e.g. FexAnim), doing the modifications (adding animations, adjusting stateIDs, next animation, speed, accel parameters, etc.) and saving the file. It should be as simple as that. From what I know I can tell you that for faster shimmying this will be enough, it's just a matter of replacing the old animations with the new ones, with the same stateIDs, state changes as the original animations and increasing the speed value to make the shimmying faster (note: obviously you'll have to do this for each TR4 file seperately...)

Enabling new moves that weren't already present in the game is a different story. To do this you need to patch the tomb4.exe file. Patching the exe by yourself is very complicated and requires some programming knowledge along with a good understanding of the inner workings of the TR4 game engine.
Have you heard of TREP? It is a patching utility designed to extend the capabilities of the vanilla (i.e. basic) TR4 executable that came with TRLE. It has a bunch of patches which are applied by ticking tickboxes. This allows to select pre-made patches and enable them on the exe without any programming knowledge required. Among those patches are the ones that enable some of the moves you've mentioned and a whole bunch of others.

But there's a catch - TREP is intended to be used with the TRLE tomb4.exe, not the one from the retail game. While both executables are nearly identical, from what I have heard there are tiny differences (if someone is more knowledgeable on this topic, please correct me if I'm wrong) which might cause instability or even crashing after you've added patches. But I also recall people using TREP directly on the retail tr4 exe and it did work (or maybe it was the other way around, the retail exe was replaced by the TRLE exe, which in turn could be patched without problems, again I'm not too sure so someone please correct me). Either way, it has been done before, custom moves and other patches have been added to vanilla TR4, allowing to play the entire game with these extra features. You can get more information about TREP and download it here: TREP website.
ChocolateFan is currently maintaining the program, adding new custom patches to it and is very knowledgable on the subject matter in general, so if you have specific questions she's one of the best people to ask.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Krystian; 15-03-20 at 11:40.
Krystian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-20, 20:56   #3
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian View Post
I also recall people using TREP directly on the retail tr4 exe and it did work (or maybe it was the other way around, the retail exe was replaced by the TRLE exe, which in turn could be patched without problems, again I'm not too sure so someone please correct me).
Nope, it's not possible, but you're probably thinking of the TREP patches that mizuno_suisei (at least I think it was him) manually ported to the vanilla TR4 engine. There's a thread around somewhere about it, can't remember where.

EDIT: You can mod faster shimmy animations into the game with FexAnim, but you have to do it for each individual level file in the game. Load up the level, find the animation, import new animation over the top, change the parameters so they match the name animation (i.e. # of frames), save. I could be mistaken, but I think it's genuinely that simple.

Last edited by Kapu; 14-03-20 at 21:05.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote