www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 13-03-20, 17:45   #1
GlitteryRose
Hobbyist

Question Knockout Enemies Using Crowbar

I've been searching and searching for a tutorial for this. I've seen many authors incorporating crowbar knockout in their levels like in TR5. How do you do that? Btw, I'm using TRNG.

Also, is it the same when using chloroform + cloth knockout?

Thank you!
GlitteryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-20, 03:48   #2
Kapu
Professor

I'm afraid there aren't any step by step tutorials at this time, but when you asked this question before I did lay out the basic fundamentals (of one version) for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Not the crowbar, but I experimented with the chloroform soaked cloth many years ago.

I was using TREP, but the general setup involved an enemy with the GUARD_AI that makes him stand still unless you run in front of him. There was an invisible switch behind him (not so invisible in the video, and ideally you'd want to use a puzzle hole with the chloroform soaked cloth as the puzzle item and the animation of Lara using the cloth as the OCB). The guard's death anim was linked to play when Lara started playing the kill animation via flipeffect (not perfectly synced in the vid but fixable), and after he was dead there was a flipeffect to remove him from the map. There were also triggers running horizontally in line with the guard for a flipeffect that would "kill" the invisible switch/puzzle hole because the guard would then become altered - so the switch needed to disappear to prevent the player from activating it once the guard moved.

That's a rough idea of the schematics. I believe you could adapt it to TRNG, I just don't know how (never evolved from TREP, don't hate lol)
Titak commented after that the same principals would be used with TRNG, although there may be a different setup too that I haven't thought of. I'm super old school and stuck on TREP, so I can't give you step by step instructions - but I would if I could.

How much experience do you have with TRNG scripting? If you have a grasp on it, I should think that with a bit of experimenting you could get this working. If scripting is still a bit advanced, perhaps someone with a bit of time could write up a detailed guide for you to follow.

There's a lot of great resources for TRLE online, but a lot of things come down to experimentation. It can actually be pretty fun to see what you can and can't achieve with this old engine...but it takes a lot of creativity!
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-20, 10:05   #3
MBog
Archaeologist

Some other levels out there used an invisible crowbar_switch, like the one from the train levels of TR4, replacing the usual crowbar animation with a kick and once the switch was activated it would trigger the baddies animation too.
Old 14-03-20, 12:30   #4
GlitteryRose
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
How much experience do you have with TRNG scripting? If you have a grasp on it, I should think that with a bit of experimenting you could get this working. If scripting is still a bit advanced, perhaps someone with a bit of time could write up a detailed guide for you to follow.
I'm pretty okay when it comes to scripting. Though, I still struggle a little bit when it comes to understanding how scripting works in TRNG's script itself. But regardless, I can follow instructions very well. I've experimented with triggers and animations and found satisfying results. Thanks for giving me an update on this matter.

Now you said something about killing the trigger in case the sneak attack fails. Can you elaborate? Is this a heavy trigger? I know you use TREP, but I would like to know the general basis of this.

In addition, I'm making a level where Lara doesn't have weapons and has to use stealth to get to point A to point B. So if anyone has advice on how to do this, it's always welcomed. In fact, my next question is about snipers in TR5. There were a couple of moments when Lara had to escape from a sniper. (You don't see the sniper, rather, you see Lara through his laser sight.) I only saw this ability used in one custom level. So I was wondering if anyone knows the secret behind that?

Last edited by GlitteryRose; 14-03-20 at 12:31.
Old 14-03-20, 15:00   #5
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBog View Post
Some other levels out there used an invisible crowbar_switch, like the one from the train levels of TR4, replacing the usual crowbar animation with a kick and once the switch was activated it would trigger the baddies animation too.
That would be the way to do it!! Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteryRose View Post
Now you said something about killing the trigger in case the sneak attack fails. Can you elaborate? Is this a heavy trigger? I know you use TREP, but I would like to know the general basis of this.
Nope, no heavy trigger required. Just a plain old trigger with no special type. This is how my setup looked:

The horizontal row of triggers across the floor are a flipeffect that would deactivate the puzzle hole item. In TREP the command is literally "KILL ITEM." It makes whatever item you call on disappear from the map. Since walking on those tiles will alert the guard (by default as part of his AI) and he will move, you have to remove the puzzle hole so Lara can't walk up to it and perform the stealth kill when the guard isn't standing there.

Last edited by Kapu; 14-03-20 at 15:02.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-20, 21:04   #6
GlitteryRose
Hobbyist

Oh! I gotcha. Thanks for sharing that.