www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 17-03-20, 12:16   #41
_Seth
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
They are lower res (320x240) but because of the codec they appear to be better quality than both pc and ps1 versions... except for a couple issues. The FMV used before the train level has an issue with missing frames at a specific part (could just be a playback issue from a third party player). The fmv played after beating the Spear of Destiny levels is encoded straight from the pc version's fmv, so ends up having the same color issues along with being lower res. That's pretty much it.

For people that are curious about the format specifically, the games use CRI's Sofdec format, which is just mpeg1/2 with their proprietary adpcm format.
Well that's a shame... and very strange. The DC was built on having a higher resolution than PS1 so it's a shame Core didn't take advantage...unless it was a disc space issue.
Old 17-03-20, 14:26   #42
Kirishima
Historian

They're still better quality than the ps1 versions. Also I've come across Xbox games with FMV's at that resolution... even though initial ps2 releases had higher resolution FMV's. It could just be a limitation of the chosen format.

Last edited by Kirishima; 17-03-20 at 14:29.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-20, 00:06   #43
calico25
Historian

I just started playing this again on the DC. Got my old copy and Dreamcast outta storage and have it hooked up to my 4k tv with a gekko hdmi and an mClassic. It looks real good. Having some fun with it so far. I never finished this one back in the day.
calico25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-20, 18:40   #44
_Seth
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
They're still better quality than the ps1 versions.
Just tested on a DC emulator, and yes the TRC FMV quality is the best I've seen, but the image is rather soft. Regardless, if these FMVs could be ripped from the disc, perhaps a talented fan could work some magic to improve the image a bit.
Old 26-03-20, 19:06   #45
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Visually the Dreamcast version is lovely. It also has some sound differences too. For instance, the pistols sound different and much more crisp. You can hear the emtpy shells dropping to the floor. I would never get past the more fenickety control scheme though due to lack of buttons. Crouch and sprint being remapped to the same button and walk/run being mapped either to the Dpad or thumb stick I could cope with but having to pause the game to enter the inventory when you do it so often was a nightmare. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?