Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 14-02-20, 04:08   #131
robm_2007

I wouldn't say movie Snape is better, Alan Rickman just brought him to life. I couldn't read the books without picturing and hearing Alan Rickman. But the books are way better in that they have infinitely more details, backstory, memories to build. Same with Robbie Coltrane.

Hufflepuff is the lamest house. Saying it was Moaning Myrtle's toilet stall-lite would be insulting the overflowing crapper she haunts.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 04:42   #132
SnatchingEdges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
- Harry is bisexual, I'm convinced
He's the discreet jock that asks you for some 'jobs' in the Room of Requirement through Magic Grindr.

____

-Goblet of Fire's Crouch plot is stupid and uninteresting. Oh, did you think it was Karkarov who put Harry's name inside? No, it was someone you've never seen and you'll never do once this book is over. Gotcha, you've been tricked.

-Harry being a bullying victim feels forced and does not make sense. I get it after the 4th book, but the students are always so bitter to him for no reason.

-The House system is outdated and contradictory to the message of the saga. They books are supposed to convey respect for the different and talk against bullying and prejudice, but the House system only incite categorizing and antagonizing kids since they're 11. Each house has stereotypes that have not been defeated centuries after Hogwarts was constructed, they are telling the students how they are before they even know. Also, Slytherin has been mistreated since the first entry; when Harry just found out what the Houses were, he instantly rejected Slytherin because they're the bAdD gUySs, and that'd be a good point had he learnt that not all Slytherin are bad. However, he does not interact with anybody from that House in a positive way. And the worst thing is when in DH McGonnagall decides to lock up all Slytherin students because reasons omg. Wonderful, Rowling has spent seven books demonizing social rejection and in the last one all Slytherin students go to the dungeon just because they're part of the House.

-Deathly Hallows could be the best book if the deaths were not that lame. It was so cheap how Rowling showed Lupin's and Tonk's death. Don't forger Moody. Offscreen deaths should be ilegal, have some respect for your characters.

-Naming his own son after Snape was the dumbest thing Harry has ever done. Snape was a creep to his mother and bullied him and his friends all 6 years. Snape was literally the worst with Neville. He attacked innocent children for being Gryffindors. He even made Hermione feel bad about her looks. Harry is naming his son after a bully and nazi and y'all treating him like a hero because a teen rejected him omg. Snape WASN'T that brave. Attacking defenseless children because they remind you of someone you hate 40 years ago is not brave in my book.

-Rowling is good at writing Harry Potter; she's terrible at everything else. Well, she was, that last Fantastic Beasts movie is one of the worst I've ever seen.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 16:15   #133
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
I think that's more accurate to Ron and Hermione. They always seem to be exhausted by each other, and bicker over everything. They don't balance themselves out as much as they throw the balance off. It doesn't feel like an equal pairing.

Now that you mention it, though, someone with a personality similar to Ginny's would've fit Ron better. Mischievous, funny, not too serious. Harry/Luna might've been pretty interesting too.
There's probably a fanfic out there somewhere where Ron marries Ginny, you autocorrect it changed Ginny to gummy which made me

I like the idea of Harry and Hermione getting together more than I do the idea of Hermione and Ron, I think she could do better than Ron.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 21:21   #134
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
- Harry is bisexual, I'm convinced
I know someone who is a literal fanatic.
He once told me, he red a fancfic.
It was set during the 6th book:

Malfoy was stressed out, because of Voldemort's task, so he annoyed Harry to hell. Then Harry started mocking him, for his prisoned father...
Later on, after quiddich training, for whatever reason Harry stayed at the field, and spotted Malfoy under the tribunes... half drunk.
Long story short, he was crying because of Harry, because of the stress he was under and because he had a crush on Harry. They were kissing there. Days later, Harry wanted more, so he looked for an opportunity to meet with Malfoy. He shaked off Ron, saying he's a prefect, he shouldn't be there, when he's going to duel Malfoy.
In reality they went to small secret room and enjoyed each other... in many ways, if you catch my drift. Then they've become friends secretly.

The funny thing is, when he red this whole thing for me, it was so well written, that I would've believe, that Rowling herself did it. It really copied her writing style.
Not to mention, the stuff she'd been changing since the last movie, I wouldn't be surprised, if he'd turned out ot be one.

Last edited by Zsott; 14-02-20 at 21:22.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-20, 00:02   #135
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post
I wouldn't say movie Snape is better, Alan Rickman just brought him to life. I couldn't read the books without picturing and hearing Alan Rickman. But the books are way better in that they have infinitely more details, backstory, memories to build. Same with Robbie Coltrane.

Hufflepuff is the lamest house. Saying it was Moaning Myrtle's toilet stall-lite would be insulting the overflowing crapper she haunts.
I think it's how book Snape seems to be a fair bit more emotional and unstable than movie Snape that makes me enjoy him less. Rickman's portrayal of Snape being this "Control your emotions!" master made more sense with the role Snape plays as a master occlumens and spy for Dumbledore. It also added to Snape's mystique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post

-Goblet of Fire's Crouch plot is stupid and uninteresting. Oh, did you think it was Karkarov who put Harry's name inside? No, it was someone you've never seen and you'll never do once this book is over. Gotcha, you've been tricked.

-Naming his own son after Snape was the dumbest thing Harry has ever done. Snape was a creep to his mother and bullied him and his friends all 6 years. Snape was literally the worst with Neville. He attacked innocent children for being Gryffindors. He even made Hermione feel bad about her looks. Harry is naming his son after a bully and nazi and y'all treating him like a hero because a teen rejected him omg. Snape WASN'T that brave. Attacking defenseless children because they remind you of someone you hate 40 years ago is not brave in my book.
The Crouch storyline was quite obscure. Once we know how it turns out on the second read or watch, we can pick up on the little hints that he is masquerading as Moody, but on the first time yeah it does kinda come out of the blue. It is obvious that Karkaroff isn't behind it though, purely because Rowling loves a whodunnit with a seemingly "obvious" suspect that turns out to be false.

I agree on Harry naming his kid after Snape. So random. Yeah ok Harry, you kinda respect him for his loyalty to Lily, but do YOU like him personally? **** no. I do think Snape is extremely brave in his own way, but he's not a hero nor is he good. He's morally ambiguous at best. I do, however, think he's a fantastic character because he's so hard to work out for such a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
There's probably a fanfic out there somewhere where Ron marries Ginny, you autocorrect it changed Ginny to gummy which made me

I like the idea of Harry and Hermione getting together more than I do the idea of Hermione and Ron, I think she could do better than Ron.
The worst one is Draco and Hermione shipping... why? It's so out of character for Draco and Hermione would never after how he treated her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
I know someone who is a literal fanatic.
He once told me, he red a fancfic.
It was set during the 6th book:

Malfoy was stressed out, because of Voldemort's task, so he annoyed Harry to hell. Then Harry started mocking him, for his prisoned father...
Later on, after quiddich training, for whatever reason Harry stayed at the field, and spotted Malfoy under the tribunes... half drunk.
Long story short, he was crying because of Harry, because of the stress he was under and because he had a crush on Harry. They were kissing there. Days later, Harry wanted more, so he looked for an opportunity to meet with Malfoy. He shaked off Ron, saying he's a prefect, he shouldn't be there, when he's going to duel Malfoy.
In reality they went to small secret room and enjoyed each other... in many ways, if you catch my drift. Then they've become friends secretly.

The funny thing is, when he red this whole thing for me, it was so well written, that I would've believe, that Rowling herself did it. It really copied her writing style.
Not to mention, the stuff she'd been changing since the last movie, I wouldn't be surprised, if he'd turned out ot be one.
Lol Harry can do better than Malfoy too.

Harry definitely crushed on Cedric a little. If the books are supposed to like a third person streaming of Harry's consciousness, he's always mentally noting how "handsome" some guys are and it's like wait a minute... pause

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 15-02-20 at 00:07.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-20, 22:36   #136
DragonSlayer

@Yeauxleaux a number of years ago I read an x-rated Potter fanfic where after a Quidditch game Harry and Ginny go to the showers to clean up when the water went cold they found another to way to stay warm.

The only bit i remember is Ginny singing Potter is my king he always puts his quaffle in little did they know that Ron who had forgotten to return his Quidditch gear was about to see them doing what they were doing, neither of them noticed that Ron had seen them until they found his Quidditch uniform on the floor.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-20, 18:16   #137
JsotoTRSaga

Not sure if these are unpopular opinions but here they go:

I don't want anymore Harry Potter movies, it wouldn't make sense.

I didn't like the latest spin off movies set within the Harry Potter Universe. They seem uninspired and are the equivalent of The Hobbit spin off trilogy from Lord of the Rings. Just uninspired low scale material with too much CGI.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-20, 01:26   #138
Ashnod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post

-The House system is outdated and contradictory to the message of the saga. They books are supposed to convey respect for the different and talk against bullying and prejudice, but the House system only incite categorizing and antagonizing kids since they're 11. Each house has stereotypes that have not been defeated centuries after Hogwarts was constructed, they are telling the students how they are before they even know. Also, Slytherin has been mistreated since the first entry; when Harry just found out what the Houses were, he instantly rejected Slytherin because they're the bAdD gUySs, and that'd be a good point had he learnt that not all Slytherin are bad. However, he does not interact with anybody from that House in a positive way. And the worst thing is when in DH McGonnagall decides to lock up all Slytherin students because reasons omg. Wonderful, Rowling has spent seven books demonizing social rejection and in the last one all Slytherin students go to the dungeon just because they're part of the House.
Agreed.

We didn't see one positive portrayal of a Slytherin outside of perhaps Slughorn, and even Slughorn is arguably not positive but merely not repugnant.

The house has to have some honorable and decent members for whom ambition doesn't equate to EVIL, otherwise, there's no point to keeping it around and the headmasters of Hogwarts are irresponsible for allowing to continue. The books (and films) don't ever show us these Slytherins. The text largely tries to handwave this away by saying a great deal of the current house is made of up the children of Death Eaters.

But the children of Death Eaters can't be the ONLY members of the house, past or present. Instead, we get people like Umbridge who were once in Slytherin and are just what the EVIL house would apparently produce.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote