Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 20-07-19, 21:23   #1
ggctuk

Default Star Trek: Picard

Comic Con revealed the trailer for the upcoming Star Trek: Picard series, and it's much more than I thought it would be.

Picard is not the only character returning. I won't ruin the surprise at the end of the trailer, but I will say that Troi and Riker were confirmed to be appearing too.

The series is set roughly 20 years after the events of Nemesis, and Picard is shaken by both those events and the destruction of Romulus. He starts off managing the vineyard that once belonged to his brother (who died according to the events of Star Trek Generations).

Star Trek: Picard will premiere early next year.

Last edited by ggctuk; 21-07-19 at 07:29.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 21:33   #2
Fantasy

Forgive my ignorance, but I take it this is set after TNG? I tried watching it recently but couldn’t get past the first half of the first episode... it was really bad

This new series looks really good, though. Interested to see more about it before it’s release.
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 21:40   #3
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but I take it this is set after TNG? I tried watching it recently but couldn’t get past the first half of the first episode... it was really bad

This new series looks really good, though. Interested to see more about it before it’s release.
Yes, it's set about 20 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis.

The first series did have some sketchy plotlines (the second episode is a direct rehash of the TOS episode where everybody got drunk) but TNG got a heck of a lot consistently better after season 2.
Old 20-07-19, 21:43   #4
Cochrane
Golden

I want to be cautious, maybe even cynical about this, but I can't. **** yeah! Screw all these attempts to go back to Kirk or before, this is what we needed. TNG and its spin-off series were always Star Trek at its best. Finally someone in charge realised that. Doing all that in the form of a modern "golden age of television" show, and giving us back the cast from back then, I just love it.

Of course it's risky to bring back the cast and setting of TNG, but in what seems to be a completely new format. This looks like it'll have long-running story arcs, strong focus on character development and their relationships, all the things that classic TNG only ever saw as a side dish instead of the point of the show. Maybe this won't work at all. Story ideas that don't actually work out that well are, admittedly, a Star Trek staple as well. But right now I'm mostly just happy that they're trying at all, and that we get to see <spoiler person> again. I've sort of given up on Discovery halfway through, but I'm really looking forward to this one!

@Fantasy: Yes, this is set (long) after TNG. And yeah, the first episode of TNG wasn't great. General consensus is that TNG really hit its stride with season three. Since this was an era without many long-running plots, there's really no harm in just jumping in there if you feel like the earlier stuff doesn't work for you.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 02:26   #5
wmcintosh
Inactive

Video doesn't work.

Quote:
Video unavailable

This video is not available.
Did find other videos to watch, just by searching Picard.
wmcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 07:28   #6
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcintosh View Post
Video doesn't work.

Did find other videos to watch, just by searching Picard.
Might be because it's Amazon Prime posting the trailer and they're the ones showing it worldwide outside the US.
Old 21-07-19, 12:29   #7
wmcintosh
Inactive

Video works and I know nothing about amazon.

Looking forward to watching this, at home, some point in time.
Old 21-07-19, 15:49   #8
Cat Woman

Message trying to play video.

“Video unavailable

This video contains content from CBS CID, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.”

FYI -
Cat Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 17:00   #9
Cochrane
Golden

Oh, I'm getting that too, even though it worked here before. Seems like CBS automatically blocked this video because the software used for this didn't know Amazon UK was allowed to show the trailer. Rather embarassing for them. I suspect it'll be fixed in a day at most (probably less).
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 20:41   #10
wmcintosh
Inactive

Seeing that message also.

Prefer Star Trek over Star Wars.