Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

View Poll Results: Do you consider that LAU Lara is from the same continuity as Classic Lara?
Yes 22 18.64%
No 96 81.36%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-10-20, 22:23   #51
tomblover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenochka View Post
Controversial opinion incoming: I honestly don't even consider 4-AOD part of the 'classic Lara' continuity either. The bio given to us in the first games manual said she lived a relatively normal aristocratic lifestyle until the plane crash. It doesn't really make much sense to me to have her adventuring with Von Croy in her teens.
I go through phases with this too, but strictly speaking, the TR1 bio doesn't say that she "lived a relatively normal aristocratic lifestyle" - only that she was "raised to be an aristocrat from birth."

Besides, the TR4 bio (which is the only other time the games' manuals have gone into Lara's backstory) doesn't contradict this, it only sets up Lara's relationship to Von Croy for the purposes of the game.

Lara's full biography, as seen in the official TR style guide(s), covers both the expedition to Cambodia and the plane crash, for what it's worth.

Basically, it's like, Lara's adventurous spirit was awakened by Von Croy - but it wasn't until she had to survive in the Himalayas for two weeks, on her own, that she realized she only really felt alive when she was living on the edge like that.

There's also the fact that the Iris is already present in Lara's treasury in TR3, indubitably confirming that we played as the same Lara across all six classic games...

My personal, "oddball" take is that the LC games are set in the Top Cow universe, not the LAU universe. I just feel like this stylistically makes more sense.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 00:48   #52
AngelOfDrkness

I'd say 'sort of'. Events from past games are referenced in LAU, and there are recurring characters from the classic series. Anniversary in particular had many references to classic TR characters and artefacts in the books throughout Lara's home. I realize they were probably just there as easter eggs, but even so, it establishes a continuity. The discrepencies are in Lara's back story, as well as the conspicuous lack of mention of anything from TLR - AoD, but you still get a feeling that those games could have occurred in the LAU timeline, as there's nothing to suggest that they didn't.

Ultimately I'd say it's the same continuity with a retconned backstory, rather than a complete reboot like 2013 was.
AngelOfDrkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 09:38   #53
LNSNHGTDS

To me it feels like Lara was traumatised after Last Revelation and then she got caught up in a new adventure she wasn't ready for in Angel of Darkness so she took a (much needed) break and went back to action with a new perspective and goal in mind three years later.

The transition period between Angel of Darkness and Legend is, in a way, Lara's mid life crisis lol.
LNSNHGTDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 11:19   #54
JsotoTRSaga

Exactly^

In my head canon, yes.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 11:57   #55
Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDrkness View Post
Ultimately I'd say it's the same continuity with a retconned backstory, rather than a complete reboot like 2013 was.
A retconned backstory that nixes everything except for a re-interpreted version of TR1? Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, the Joker, Catwoman, and Two-Face exist in both the Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan Batman movies, as well as a tragic backstory for Bruce Wayne, but that doesn't mean they take place in the same continuity.

Last edited by Tyrannosaurus; 02-11-20 at 11:59.
Tyrannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote