Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 29-01-20, 23:13   #11
EchoTR

I feel most people on this forum are quite specific about their wishes anyway, but I`ll bite.

Lara Design:
As close to Underworld Lara as possible, especially to Underworld`s artwork (I think she looked a bit tougher/fitter on artworks than the ingame model).
This includes going back to a more comic book-ish style (as opposed to the realistic style of the reboot model).

Platforming:
How to put it other than saying it should feel like skill based platforming again?
If the angle is off or you push the jump button too early or too late you fail.
Imo that`s why even the best Reboot Tombs don`t feel exciting ... once you figure out the path you basicly just hit a "confirm" button.

Combat:
I love the Reboot`s soft-cover system, so I`d like it to stay.
But since I don`t like the whole Michael Bay Action movie stuff I`d go for a more stealth focussed approach.
Bow+Knife+Stealth would be enough for the most part. I don`t need Dual-Pistols if they don`t add anything to the gameplay.

Alternative: Maybe a melee focussed combat system? That could work well combined with stealth, and why not change things up?

World:
I know most fans don`t like the idea, but I can imagine an open world to work well. But one without busy-work.
I think of it as one giant puzzle, where you have to solve one area to get to the next one and step-by-step uncover everything. With some fun traversal in between (see horse thread).

Similar to the Lara model, I don`t need it ultra-realistic.
Visually I`d like to see more beautiful settings than dark+gritty ones. That used to be a strength of the series and got a bit lost while trying to be super-serious.
Lastly, no oversized villages with 5 hours of fetch-quests please.

Edit, edit, edit!:
Forgot: The original theme back on the main menu. TR is not TR without that melody.

Last edited by EchoTR; 29-01-20 at 23:26.
EchoTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-20, 00:54   #12
Slugly

Lara :
Shadow's personnality
Shadow's design but with a better ponytail

Map :
More hubs
A city like Paris in AOD
Croft manor

Gameplay :
More combat
Slugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-20, 12:59   #13
paulojr_mam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Basically make AOD gameplay-loop-wise, just replacing upgrades with switches.
So a hub with NPCs to talk to and tombs to explore? And what would the switches do, make Lara stronger?
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-20, 13:15   #14
TR1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
So a hub with NPCs to talk to and tombs to explore? And what would the switches do, make Lara stronger?
Who says she's strong enough to pull them in the first place?
TR1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-20, 14:14   #15
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Most of the time the strength upgrades are there to open a door that's too hard for Lara to open anyway, so just have a switch there that open a door.

Only hubs if they play a really minor role to get more resources, and ONLY if resources are actually scarce again, AOD only really had one Hub, I mean mostly the Platforming focus with occasional even-for-a-TR game combat like with The Hall of Seasons and it's various side-rooms.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 14:04   #16
hey007

ever played those uncharted games with that similar style to tomb raider? at times you will have a follower help you in some levels. i kind of think tomb raider should have that where you have a follower, whether it's an old friend or an archeologist or an explorer, it will be intresting to listen to the conversations and interactions yeah but still have some levels where you go solo like the originals.
hey007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 14:26   #17
dcw123

Basically a continuation of Blood Ties/Shadow optional tombs BUT in the main path areas...
That was my main beef with the Reboot games.. all the good stuff was optional.
They don't want the noobs failing at their game and missing the story so the main paths always get watered down..

One that comes to mind is ACTUAL traps in Shadow which weren't used in the game.. and should have IMO
Fire, spinning blades, Piranha and collapsing timed floors.

I loved the use of an inventory of sorts in BloodTies - this should become a thing too.. Make us hunt for keys and levers again. Loop back around to areas where we have been.. to unlock new areas etc etc
Basically classic TR and TRA - they've done it before and shown they can do this.. so why not?

They need to town down the forced combat waves thing - make fights optional? Options to sneak past and avoid fights..
More animal and supernatural opponents.. not just TR2 style human after human shootouts.

As for Lara.. she needs to be more gymnastic and graceful in her movements, show some confidence. She should be stronger now - no more tears for drama sake.. she isn't that scared little Island girl anymore!!
Hated in Shadow how they beefed her up in the Oil Foundry area.. only in the VERY next scene, make her break down and cry like the lost little girl she once was.. totally ruined it for me.
She also needs to lose her friends - no more babysitting/playing the rescuer. Lara needs to go solo..
A more classic approach to outfits too - even just a backpack and duals on her standard outfit would go a long way

Last edited by dcw123; 04-02-20 at 14:30.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 13:47   #18
Grizzly Bear

My secret dream is to have acrobatics back...
I miss the old days when I made Lara do back handsprings, aerials, handstands after climbing, doing crazy turns using uneven bars and so on...
The way it worked in Legend was perfect (that if you were skilled you could choose which moves to perform) while in Underworld it was lazy (there was just a couple of combinations to do).

But I realise it was a bit over the top...
But maybe even adding some simplier athletic dodge moves could be great.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 09-02-20 at 13:48.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 15:35   #19
JoelCaesar

In trying to keep goals "realistic" I would really like the secret system to come back in some capacity. Whether it is like the classic system or anniversary's it really added to the games.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 15:56   #20
michaeldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
In trying to keep goals "realistic" I would really like the secret system to come back in some capacity. Whether it is like the classic system or anniversary's it really added to the games.
Preferably with the secret chime, please
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote