www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 29-06-22, 14:51   #24861
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
XV was a lot of fun.

Doesn't follow your typical FF formula point by point but it's nevertheless a fun game. I know the story gets a lot of flack but I did feel attached to the party and their struggles and enjoyed it as well.
I'm glad for you. I try not to pay too much attention to reviews and stuff. Back in the 90s we tested games for ourselves and I believe that's the best way to judge. I will get to it eventually.

I can't say the same for 13 though. Something about it just puts me off though I've never played it. Who knows, maybe eventually I will get to that one as well, when I have less stuff on my plate.

Last edited by RAID; 29-06-22 at 14:58.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 17:17   #24862
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

XIII is another VERY divisive one. It was the first one I ever played so I didn't have any preconceived notions of what to expect and I initially approached it because I thought it looked pretty and Lightning seemed really cool. I understand why the characters can be a lot for some people but I mostly liked them, the three women at least, so I don't really see any issues with it either. For the most part at least.
Old 29-06-22, 17:25   #24863
Tsarina
Explorer

^I absolutely adored XIII. Mainly because of Vanille. She was the most relatable character to me, she tried to be uplifting and optimistic, while holding onto this secret that made her feel really regretful. The scene with her and Sazh. I just felt really emotional with that scene, and it was the first time I remember seeing a Final Fantasy game that kind of showed a character in that kind of depressive state. I just wanted to hug Vanille!

Last edited by Tsarina; 29-06-22 at 17:26.
Tsarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 17:37   #24864
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

Vanille is among my favourite Final Fantasy characters ever, I think her journey was amazing and, indeed, pretty relatable. People seem to be hating on the more relatable characters more often because they are "annoying" but, at the end of the day, this is how most people would react in situations so out of control such as the ones Tidus or Vaan or Vanille / the rest of the XIII cast had to face so maybe it's the reason that it hits too close to home that annoys them lol
Old 29-06-22, 17:57   #24865
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

XV: a rollercoaster of good, great, excellent, terrible, mediocre, good again, great again, one of the best endings in the series, awful DLC(s). In my opinion, it's hard to say how good XV is as a game because all of it is so...erratic?

XIII: excellent story, excellent cast, excellent gameplay, excessive linearity and poor post-story content. Gameplay is mostly focused on running from fight to fight. There is no real town to -properly- explore, no sidequests (aside from boss fights). It's a game that ties all its pieces with cutscenes and fights. I loved it, but it's quite a departure from the standard formula. XIII-2 fixes most of XIII's faults (and introduces new ones, like a weaker plot and cast). Lightning Returns is very niche and the technical aspects of it (like graphics) are downright terrible.

Yes, XV and XIII (and VIII) are the most divisive FF games to date. Let's see how XVI does.

Can I recommend everyone to get into FFXIV? You know it's my favourite FF game ('cause I say it every time I can). It has a free trial up to lvl 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
Stay away from the summoner...
You're a bad man

See what I did there?
Those lines will never leave our memories

Last edited by Yuna´s Wish; 29-06-22 at 18:26.
Yuna´s Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 19:20   #24866
Tsarina
Explorer

I have been a little distant from this thread recently, but what did everyone think about the FFVII Rebirth trailer? I really wished they had shown more gameplay, but I really loved that there was kind of a throwback to FFVIII with the lines of dialogue thrown in between Cloud and Aerith. I actually really loved that bit. Even with the feather! Like it was totally FFVIII vibes. I am also sooooo excited that Cloud brings up Aerith dying and them having a conversation about it. Like holy **** I had goosebumps.

EDIT: NVM, that was Tifa's voice ha, must be about the events of Nibelheim.

Last edited by Tsarina; 29-06-22 at 19:47.
Tsarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 23:34   #24867
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

In my opinion, the star of VII's presentation was Crisis Core Reunion. There wasn't much in Rebirth to be excited about. A better trailer would have showcased multiple locations or characters. What they shown was a simple teaser of something I had no reason to think they wouldn't include in the game It's ok, though, the idea was to tease and they did achieve that.

Their announcement stating that there will be 3 games in total was more meaningful than Rebirth's teaser itself

EDIT: ohhh, Stranger of Paradise is getting its first expansion in July 20th. It includes Bahamut and the Warrior of Light as boss fights Nice!

I do feel like this is one of those "you knew you wanted this to be DLC so people would pay extra" scenario, yes. But still nice, I guess :/

Last edited by Yuna´s Wish; 30-06-22 at 02:25.
Yuna´s Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-22, 19:32   #24868
RAID
Tomb Raider

I'm about to start Chapter 13 of 7 remake. The voice acting is very mediocre and it doesn't draw me into the story emotionally.

Like when Marlene hugged Aerith and cried in the seventh heaven bar, I didn't buy it. It was not well acted at all. But the game is a lot of fun and looking forward to the next 2.
Square really need to work on their melodramatic dialogue and acting.. It's very cringy.

Last edited by RAID; 08-07-22 at 19:35.
Old 09-07-22, 00:27   #24869
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

I honestly don't remember bad voice acting. Except for the unimportant NPCs, that is. Those looked and talked like ****, but the main cast was amazing.
Old 09-07-22, 07:26   #24870
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
I honestly don't remember bad voice acting. Except for the unimportant NPCs, that is. Those looked and talked like ****, but the main cast was amazing.
Don't get me wrong. This is a major improvement over FF10 and some of the actors did a very good job, like Cloud and Tifa. Even the Turks. I haven't heard enough of Sephiroth yet to make up my mind. Aerith occasionally sounds weird and 'acting'. Barrett takes constipation to a whole new level, because he sounds like the actor was trying to poop but couldn't go.

All the children voice actors were mediocre, like the scene were they were playing in the train graveyard or Marlene's crying in chapter 12. Like if a closed my eyes I could picture a girl making sounds of forced crying but couldn't get tears in her eyes. Which makes it very hard for me to care for her or feel any sort of tension during the scene.

It could also be a disadvantage due to the game being designed In a Japanese style of acting (which shows in the campy body language and over the top melodramatic camera close-ups), which impacts how characters come across, so it could also be a technical issue. It's strange though because I don't recall such issues with FF12 but it's been a really long time so I could be wrong.

The dialogue can also be melodramatic on certain occasions. Some death scenes, for which I won't mention characters not to spoil it, were dragged out with stupid unnecessary dialogue, where at some point I thought to myself 'he's still talking so maybe he won't die '... And then 3 minutes later, after he's done with his sentences, he dies.

Overall, despite these flaws, I love 7 remake. This and 8 remaster drew me back into the series. Just yesterday I bought FF Type 0.

Last edited by RAID; 09-07-22 at 07:29.