www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 13-10-18, 09:33   #1
Nausinous
Relic Hunter

Default Changing my name

I'm considering changing my name, I know this pretty random but I'd really appreciate people's input and suggestions. Feel free to even use the topic to debate what it means to change one's name, should we have a choice to change the names assigned to us at birth, does changing our name affect us psychologically? etc. I personally quite like the name Aidan as a first name and Hobbs as a surname. I've provided a picture of my self because sometimes you can imagine the name someone might suit by their face. I realise this is the most random thing to ask people on a forum but I don't have any other large pool of people to poll for this kind of thing, so I'd really appreciate your help.

Last edited by Nausinous; 13-10-18 at 09:37.
Nausinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 09:44   #2
Reggie
Tomb Raider

You changed your name before, right? I'd imagine you would be better placed to comment on how it impacts someone than most people here. That said, its very much up to you. Maybe consider the meaning behind the name you choose and give it a trial run before going official with deed poll.
Old 13-10-18, 10:03   #3
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Lara
Caesum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 10:16   #4
Baratheon
Archaeologist

You look like a Christopher
Old 13-10-18, 10:16   #5
Nausinous
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
You changed your name before, right? I'd imagine you would be better placed to comment on how it impacts someone than most people here. That said, its very much up to you. Maybe consider the meaning behind the name you choose and give it a trial run before going official with deed poll.
I had previously changed my name before, and then a year after I had a heart to heart with my sister and I felt compelled to change it back to my birth name. I've been going through therapy recently, and it's a thought I've been having more and more, that I don't want a name associated with my family (Considering the events and traumas that are attached to the name). I also don't see why we shouldn't be able to choose our names. I guess I'll give it some more thought, or wait for other people's replies. I will also bring it up with my psychologist and see what he has to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baratheon View Post
This has way too many Christian connotations for me to consider it as a name

Last edited by Nausinous; 13-10-18 at 10:21.
Nausinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 10:27   #6
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

I too have thought about and seriously considered changing my name as I hate it and never liked it. Itís a hassle to correct and almost everyone gets it wrong either by spelling or pronunciation.

My advice which you can take or leave (doesnít matter to me haha itís your life after all! ) is that you should wait to change your name until you have that ďThatís it!Ē moment with a name. Iíve thought about changing mine for years and years but never found one I liked. It wasnít until one night my mother told me another name she debated naming me and when she told me I had that ďThatís it!!Ē moment. I knew that was the name I wanted.. or maybe the name I was supposed to have. Weird feeling to describe.

Anyway, thatís my outlook on it. I donít think anyone here can give you a name or suggest anything that will truly suit you. Only you can find that out for yourself and only you will know what the right one is
Old 13-10-18, 10:51   #7
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baratheon View Post
I agree with this actually, I can see you being a Chris, or maybe a Liam. Aidan is ok as well.

Was the original name you were given really tragic and unusual or something? I'd understand wanting to change it in that case.

Maybe something from whatever your ethnic background is? My name (how my first is spelled and my surname) are indicative of my Mediterranean roots and I love it
Old 13-10-18, 10:53   #8
_Seth
Historian

I legally changed my name. Before it was Philip, and I hated it, so I changed it to Seth - the best name in the world, and I'm very happy about it. I also changed my surname, too, since I wasn't big on the previous one. My parents hate the fact that I changed my name, and what I changed it to, but I cn't honestly say I care as it wasn't a deep thing for me.

I don't think is psychologically changed me, either. I just now enjoy the name I have.
Old 13-10-18, 11:42   #9
Maverin
Explorer

It depends on your current name. What name(s) do you have in mind?
Old 13-10-18, 12:33   #10
tomblover
Tomb Raider

I can absolutely see you being named Aidan, for what it's worth - and if that makes sense at all - but the name first of all has to resonate with you personally, right...

Speaking for myself, I've changed both my first and last names, actually, so I do have insight on this.

I took my mother's maiden name right before I turned 19, for a start. Before then, I'd had both my dad's last name, Karlsson, at birth - and a "unique" last name that my mom had come up with maybe five years later, when she'd gotten tired of being a Karlsson.

Truth be told, that was mostly a vanity thing for me - 'cos when I say it was a "unique" last name, I mean it sounded like something out of a bad fantasy novel. Thanks, mom.

When my gender identity became more important to me, I started going by the more (compared to my saintly birthname, good grief) gender-neutral name Kerry - and that is, as of July this year, also my legal first name!

That was a much more delicate process though, mentally. Changing your last name, since it's not something you vocalize that often, comparatively isn't such a big deal.

Thankfully, my friends, family and colleagues at work adapted almost more readily than I myself did - to the point where my colleagues at work actually scolded me for answering the phone using my old name, 'cos I did that for a while.

Like some others have written here, anyway - it's got to click with you. You'll know when it does.

I honestly settled on Kerry after fumbling through a baby names website at random, and realizing it was the name of Julie's sister in Heavy Metal 2000.

It resonated with me that way, but also, like - it's a unisex name, but more women than men have the name Kerry.

That's exactly what I wanted - it gave me a safety net as someone who presents both masculine and feminine, to where I don't have to feel weird signing documents or getting carded, no matter what I look like at any given time.

Still, it's more feminine than masculine, which is how I feel on the inside. A perfect fit, and it's an obscure pop culture reference, which is meaningful in a private sort of way to me because I really like Heavy Metal 2000.

Last edited by tomblover; 13-10-18 at 12:34.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote