Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 20-09-20, 02:30   #11
Zebra

I think it does that because it's simply how PBR shaders work. In a PBR shader, the roughness value defines how smooth or rough the surface is with 1.0 being completely rough and 0.0 being completely smooth (the smoother a surface is, the shinier/glossier it will be). If you wanted to create a shiny, polished metal in a PBR shader using the metalness workflow (there's also the specular workflow but that's not what Blender's Principled BSDF node uses, afaik), you would set the roughness to a very low value and set metalness to 1. You wouldn't touch the specular value or the sheen value at all and how shiny the material would look would be determined by the roughness value. So that may be why Blender exports the .mtl file the way it does.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 17:27   #12
AshySlashy

Unhappy Semi-transparency

So, I've been meaning to make special artifacts that Lara is seeking; they represent the four elements. They appear inside semi-transparent spheres, so I was happy when Lwmte wrote that it was possible to make part of an object semi-transparent. I've tried to follow this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
To make texture appear semi-transparent (additive blending), you need to edit Alpha attribute in same material properties. Just reduce the value from 1.0 to anything less than 1.0, and texture will be semi-transparent:

Other blending modes are currently not supported, but of course you may use true alpha channel on your textures, it will be imported correctly in WadTool.
I've created 2 separate materials, one for the element and another for the sphere, and lowered the Alpha value, then applied them to different parts of the object. However, upon doing that nothing changed, and in game it's just a white sphere.

I've tried to change something else, and upon applying Alpha blend I've got the desired effect within Blender:

It's basically the way I want it to look in-game. But still, the result is the same:

I'm clueless. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?
Anyone?

Last edited by AshySlashy; 03-10-20 at 17:29.
AshySlashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 20:36   #13
not again!

^^ hm, normally if you set the alpha slider to anything other than maximum the model should be transparent in game. What does the .mtl file look like?

edit: I made a quick test and hid a small uzi within a bigger uzi, and transparency does indeed not work when you import the model into a wad using WadTool. It only works as imported geometry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I think it does that because it's simply how PBR shaders work. In a PBR shader, the roughness value defines how smooth or rough the surface is with 1.0 being completely rough and 0.0 being completely smooth (the smoother a surface is, the shinier/glossier it will be). If you wanted to create a shiny, polished metal in a PBR shader using the metalness workflow (there's also the specular workflow but that's not what Blender's Principled BSDF node uses, afaik), you would set the roughness to a very low value and set metalness to 1. You wouldn't touch the specular value or the sheen value at all and how shiny the material would look would be determined by the roughness value. So that may be why Blender exports the .mtl file the way it does.
I'm a bit late, but thank you very much Zebra for the info. It makes sense now.

Last edited by not again!; 03-10-20 at 21:09.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-20, 07:22   #14
AshySlashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
edit: I made a quick test and hid a small uzi within a bigger uzi, and transparency does indeed not work when you import the model into a wad using WadTool. It only works as imported geometry:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/s0wJQPt.png[img]
Ah, I see. That's too bad.
I've tried exporting into different formats, mtl was fine, I guess, at least the alpha line.

Last edited by AkyV; 04-10-20 at 11:18.
Old 04-10-20, 13:34   #15
not again!

ah, I hope this can be fixed - I know nothing about programming and from what I gather WadTool uses a third party library for importing models so I don't know if anything can be done about this, but I hope.

If you don't need the texture to have that glow effect of additive transparency you could try instead of setting the transparency via shader to make the texture itself transparent (save the texture as png with transparency) which also has the advantage that you can control how transparent you want it to be.
Old 04-10-20, 14:40   #16
AshySlashy

Talking Yay

I did miss something then. So, I've just edited the texture for the sphere: I added the alpha channel and adjusted transparency. Then I adjusted the alpha value in material settings in Blender to fit it. After that, upon importing via WadTool, I have the desired effect: there's the air element inside the semi-transparent sphere :3

Thanks a lot, not_again!

I guess, in order this method to work the texture has to have alpha channel. Cause some time ago I've tried to use only the semi-transparent texture and it didn't work.
Old 08-10-20, 21:56   #17
Lwmte

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
ah, I hope this can be fixed - I know nothing about programming and from what I gather WadTool uses a third party library for importing models so I don't know if anything can be done about this, but I hope.
I have fixed it and silently updated TE packages since it's the only issue fixed in the past weeks and no other fixes are pending.
Please download 1.3.8 again if you need this fix, you can use small patch.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 12:40   #18
not again!

^^ This is the best news, thank you so much, Lwmte!
Old 15-11-20, 01:13   #19
Morgau

This is amazing. A question, though: what is maximum poly count allowed for enemy/npcs in Tomb Editor?
Morgau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-20, 10:23   #20
TokyoSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgau View Post
This is amazing. A question, though: what is maximum poly count allowed for enemy/npcs in Tomb Editor?
Since it's not NGLE and coded in C# with DirectX11, and TombEditor team use List<> (can be extended very far) i think it's pretty what you want to be the max, but dont forget that the tomb raider game have a limit unlike TombEditor

Last edited by TokyoSU; 15-11-20 at 10:25.
TokyoSU is offline   Reply With Quote