Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Engine

Closed Thread

Old 28-01-20, 15:37   #361
SebCroc

This progress is amazing!

I'm curious about one thing: does this mean LUA will be required for all scripting in TR5Main? Am I right to assume that TRNG/TREP will not be compatible, and so I should hold off on movement and animation scripting for the moment?
Old 28-01-20, 15:59   #362
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebCroc View Post

I'm curious about one thing: does this mean LUA will be required for all scripting in TR5Main? Am I right to assume that TRNG/TREP will not be compatible, and so I should hold off on movement and animation scripting for the moment?
TREP only ever worked with the original TRLE tomb4.exe, and since this is directly based off a decompilation of tomb5.exe, it won't work, no.

As for TRNG, I believe the aim is that this will twin with TombEditor but I don't know if they'll have cmpatibility with NGLE. It won't have compatibility with TRNG itself, I think.
Old 28-01-20, 16:46   #363
Joey79100

They'll have a new file format for levels (so they can make it better and expand it), so no Winroomedit/NGLE/Dxtre3D either.
Old 28-01-20, 17:04   #364
TokyoSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebCroc View Post

it will use the SCRIPT.DAT format, the only think in lua can be at level start/middle/end and some cutscene control.
and entity/trap/object will be in LUA, but on discord, it's currently in check what "script" would be used instead of lua, probably lua will be used.

Last edited by TokyoSU; 28-01-20 at 17:05.
Old 29-01-20, 19:05   #365
TR-Freak
Unverified

As for rendering, I can tell you that i am preparing the engine for some proper material/ shader management.
You can have Additive (Semi-Transparent in TRLE terms), Subtractive and actual alpha blended meshes. You may also write your own materials/shaders in the future. Not as advanced as Unity or Unreal Engine, but it's definitively better than stupid Gouraud Shaded polygons

I also prepare the engine for rigged meshes. I.e. you have one mesh for the whole moveable and bones drive the deformation according to weights.
(Regular moveables will still work, they just have a single bone weight of 1 assigned to them)

I can show you some progress in a few weeks
Old 30-01-20, 07:36   #366
Dan-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
I also prepare the engine for rigged meshes. I.e. you have one mesh for the whole moveable and bones drive the deformation according to weights.
(Regular moveables will still work, they just have a single bone weight of 1 assigned to them)

I can show you some progress in a few weeks
AW YIS!
Will it be possible to make a custom skeleton or we will have to stick to the hierarchy of original objects?
Old 30-01-20, 08:03   #367
TokyoSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-d View Post
AW YIS!
Will it be possible to make a custom skeleton or we will have to stick to the hierarchy of original objects?
you can do anything when you have the source code
i think TR-Freak have already planned this for later.
Old 30-01-20, 08:31   #368
TR-Freak
Unverified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-d View Post
AW YIS!
We currently have a limit of 32 bones, how they are arranged will be up to you
Old 30-01-20, 17:54   #369
ggctuk

Quote:
That's actually a pretty decent number of bones for an engine made from an older engine.
Old 30-01-20, 18:01   #370
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
That's actually a pretty decent number of bones for an engine made from an older engine.
What was the older vanilla TR4-5 limit? ^.^
Closed Thread