Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 03-01-21, 09:56   #1
ANoDE
Golden

Default TRAE - QuickStart & Knowledge Base

Dear TRAE fans!

Thanks to the dedicated work of many members of the community, Core's unfinished Tomb Raider - Anniversary Edition (TRAE) is now in a playable state and ready for you to explore.

See also Tomb of Ash's website for more information: https://www.tomb-of-ash.com/trae-indy-build/

Since it is an unfinished product, it's not really straight-forward to use, so this thread is intended to house information about how to set up the game and to provide a one-stop shop for everything you need to know to get going.

Please do not use this thread for discussion. Please use the original thread HERE for this.

Feel free to post links or quote posts that contain useful information.

So let's going, shall we?

Installation & Setup - PC Version

This will let you set up the PC version of the game (on Windows).

Note for Linux users:
Necromancer posted a few additional steps to do if you're on linux.
See this post for further information.

For instructions on how to run the PSP version, please scroll down in this post.

Attention: You will need to have a gamepad to play the game. Keyboard controls are very limited.

Step 1: Download the game

Head over to archive.org to download the game and the available patches: https://archive.org/details/IndyTRAEbuild

You'll need all three zip files to get the best out of it.

Step 2: Unpack the Game files

Depending on which version you downloaded, you'll now have several zip files.
One of them is called "Artbase.zip".

Extract this zip file to your C:\ drive.

It is imperative, that the Artbase folder is directly under C:\.
Do not use any subfolders. After you have extracted the zip file, you should have the following folder structure on your C:\ hard drive:

Code:
C:\Artbase
C:\Artbase\tombraider
C:\Artbase\BuildSystem.exe
C:\Artbase\Nakamichi TRAE level geometry converter.exe
Make sure, you have this exact folder structure, otherwise the game will not start lateron.

Step 3: Apply patches

Download the zip archive from here, and copy + paste the tombraider folder (contained in patchv2) to your C:\Artbase folder, replacing existing files (do not remove the old tombraider folder though, this patch must be applied on top of the existing one).

See also twitter post of @reborninshadows.

Step 3.1 (optional): Install the patch for use with XBOX controllers. (by TRFan94)

The download page on archive.org will have a file called Xbox_Fixed_Controls_for_TRAE.zip. Download this zip file, and unpack its contents to C:\Artbase\tombraider\converters\engines. The zip file will contain a "Readme Install.txt" file, containing info about the controls.

Step 3.2 (optional): Configure "MAIN MENU RUN.bat"

After you installed the patch, you will have a "MAIN MENU RUN.bat" file in your C:\Artbase folder. This file holds the command to launch the game.
You can edit it with any text editor of your liking. Make sure the "-resize" option is present, to be able to play the game in a higher resolution, by resizing / maximizing the game window once it's started.

You can also add/modify the -height=<height_in_pixels> and -width=<width_in_pixels> parameters in conjunction with the -resize parameter to set a default window size.

To start the game in windowed fullscreen mode on a FullHD monitor, you can use:

-resize -width=1920 -height=1080

Please note that there is also a -fullScreen option, but the game will use it's native resolution and look very blocky. There hasn't been found a way to use the game in fullscreen mode with a higher resolution, yet.

Step 4: Select a level to run

If you have the latest patch installed, you can double-click the "MAIN MENU RUN.bat" file. This will launch the main menu.

To select a level directly, you can install a patch provided by Gh0stBlade & XProger.

To use it, download the patch from here, and extract the contents of the downloaded zip file to your C:\Artbase folder.
Double-Click the "run_level.bat" and select the level you want to run.

Once you've followed these steps you're ready to go.

Launching the game & troubleshooting

To launch the game, simply double-click the run.bat file in your C:\Artbase folder. There will be a console window popping up, and also a window with the logo of the movie National Treasure. If all goes well, after a few seconds you should be presented with the Pause menu of the game. See the "Controls" section of this post for information on how to play.

If your game won't launch, please see the Troubleshooting section below.

Installation & Setup - PSP Version

Gh0stBlade has provided a PSP ISO file to run with physical PSP systems or PSP emulators.

At the time of writing, the ISO will run only on systems / emulators with 64MB ram.

Additionally, the build is still relatively unstable and not all levels are available in the PSP version:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reborninshadow View Post
The level files for Manor, Midas, Cistern, City of Khamoon, Sanctuary of the Scion, Atlantis and Great Pyramid are missing from the PSP build. Manor will probably get restored easily when it is possible to modify the psp files since only one text file is missing but the rest either needs converting from the PC version or compiling again from Maya.

This guide will help you set up an emulator to run the game. There may be updated versions available, so please check the project page on archive.org for updates.

Step 1: Download the game

The runnable ISO is hosted on archive.org.
PSP ISO files are named TRAE-PSP-v[ver].iso, where [ver] is the current version. At the time of writing, the latest version is 2 - so the ISO file to download is TRAE-PSP-v2.iso.

Download this file to your computer and remember where you put it.

Step 2: Download and configure the Emulator

The game should be runnable with any decent PSP emulator. This guide will use PPSSPP (as it's the only one I know of).
  • Download the Emulator from the emulator's home page (https://www.ppsspp.org). (You should choose the correct binary for your operating system. An installer version is also provided for more convenience.
  • Launch the Emulator (preferably choose PPSSPPWindows.exe instead of PPSSPPWindows64.exe as the former might cause less trouble in TR:AE - thanks LaeRaider for this tip).
  • Go to "Game Settings --> More Settings"
  • Click on "System" on the left bar and scroll down in the right area until you see "Fast Memory". Disable this setting by unchecking it.
  • Click the "Graphics" tab on the left and scroll down in the right area until you see "Lower Resolution For Effects". Click this option and select "AGGRESSIVE" here.
  • Click the "BACK" button until you're back at the main screen.

Step (optional): Setup Keyboard/Mouse controls

LateRaider has provided an awesome tutorial on how to set up Keyboard/Mouse controls here. Just follow this step-by-step guide and you're good to go.

Step 3: Run the Game

In the main menu of the emulator, click the "Load" button and select the ISO file you downloaded in Step 1. Enjoy.

Changelog
  • 3rd January 2021: Added instructions to download and install the patch to fix some levels (thanks to @reborninshadows on twitter).
  • 3rd February 2021: Updated instructions for latest patch and level select mode. Added instructions on how to set up the PSP version via PPSSPP.

Last edited by ANoDE; 05-02-21 at 11:53.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 09:57   #2
ANoDE
Golden

Default Controls

In order to play the game correctly, you will have to have a gamepad connected. Any controller will do, but the button configuration may be different for you.
If you don't have a controller, you will only be able to move Lara and the camera around, but you will not be able to jump, press action and perform other moves.

Controlling Lara
Basic Controls

I only have a Playstation Controller (Dualshock 4) connected - please let me know the controls for XBOX-compatible controllers if you know them.
  • Use the left stick on your controller to move Lara. Press the stick softly to walk. You can also use the W, A, S, D keys on your keyboard to move Lara.
  • Use the right stick on your controller to freely move the camera. You can also use the I, J, K, L keys on your keyboard to do that.

Playstation (DualShock 3, DualShock 4) controllers
  • Jump: Triangle
  • Action: Circle
  • Drop from ledge: X.
  • Draw Weapon: Square (This will actually bring up the flare. Lara is unable to draw the pistols, but when the flare is equipped she'll be able to shoot with the Action button (in levels other than Croft Manor).
  • Walk: L2 (DualShock 4), [SELECT] (DualShock 3, thanks BlueCake).
  • Quick Turn/Roll: R2 (DualShock 4), [START] (DualShock 3, thanks BlueCake). When Weapons are drawn (i.e. the torch is lit) Lara will do a classic roll when pressing this button, otherwise she'll turn around.
  • Pause Menu: R3 (press right stick). Use the left stick to navigate, Action to select, Draw Weapon to exit.
  • Inventory: Share on Dualshock 4, (probably SELECT on Dualshock 3). Use the Touchpad on a DS4 to navigate within the menu. Use Action to select an item, Inventory to exit. Warning: Using a flare may crash the game.
  • Handstand: Use Walk + Up while hanging on a ledge. This only works on ledges where Lara cannot rest her feet on the wall below.

XBOX Controllers (without the patch - see post above for more information)
  • Jump: Y
  • Action: X
  • Drop from ledge: B
  • Draw Weapon: A. This will actually bring up the flare. Lara is unable to draw the pistols, but when the flare is equipped she'll be able to shoot with the Action button (in levels other than Croft Manor.
  • Walk: BACK
  • Quick Turn/Roll: START. When Weapons are drawn (i.e. the torch is lit) Lara will do a classic roll when pressing this button, otherwise she'll turn around.
  • Pause Menu: R3 (press right stick) on PS controllers. Use the left stick to navigate, Action to select, Draw Weapon to exit.
  • Inventory: Share on Dualshock 4, (probably SELECT on Dualshock 3). Use the Touchpad on a DS4 to navigate within the menu. Use Action to select an item, Inventory to exit. Warning: Using a flare may crash the game.
  • Handstand: Use Walk+Up while hanging on a ledge. This only works on ledges where Lara cannot rest her feet on the wall below.

Generic Controllers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Left analogue stick: move Lara
Right analogue stick: move camera
Button 1: Draw weapon
Button 2: let go from ledges
Button 3: action button / confirm options in pause menu
Button 4: jump button
Button 5: unused (?)
Button 6: Teleport Lara to the camera when using the free camera mode
Button 7: Walk button
Button 8: Turn around/roll when torch/weapon is drawn
Button 9: Inventory
Button 10: unused (?)
Clicking the right stick: Bring up debug/pause menu

Swimming Controls
- Use Jump to swim, navigate with the left stick. Leave the water by swimming to the edge and press Action. Attention: Leaving bodies of water is sometimes not possible due to geometry errors!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niveus View Post
- Tap Action while swimming to force Lara to butterfly swim (I'm not sure it's actually any faster)
- Tap Action while surface swimming to force Lara to breast stroke

Extended / Debug Controls
  • Free Camera: Press Walk+Turn/Roll+Inventory at the same time to enter free camera mode (thanks Wooxman). Press R1 while in DOZY mode to move Lara to this position (useful to bypass closed doors). Use the combination again to regain control of Lara with a fixed camera angle. Press the combination a third time to re-enter normal gameplay. See also Wooxman's post.
  • DOZY: Walk button + turn/roll button + jump button + action button (thanks Wooxman)
  • Exit DOZY: walk button + turn/roll button + draw weapon (torch) button (thanks Wooxman)
  • F7 on your keyboard brings up the Editor window. Here you can move, edit and delete triggers, objects and other stuff. If someone has a detailed description on how to use it, please tell me so I can link it here.
  • The key below the ESC key (^ for German keyboards, ` for English) brings up the in-game console. Use ? for help on available commands. Press the key again to hide the console.
  • TAB brings up the in-game debug menu. If someone knows how to use it, please post a link to a guide. Thank you.

Last edited by ANoDE; 03-02-21 at 16:01.
Old 03-01-21, 09:57   #3
ANoDE
Golden

Default Troubleshooting, Tips & Tricks

Troubleshooting
  1. When trying to start the game, I get a message about a missing MSVCR71.dll file.
    Copy the MSVCR71.dll from C:\Artbase\tombraider\converters\audioexporter\ to your C:\Artbase folder and try again. (Thanks Yuki Senoue).

2. Those message boxes are driving me crazy!
    Click "Cancel" instead of "OK" to prevent further error messages.

3. The game runs sluggish / without textures.
    If you do have an Intel integrated GPU, the game may not run well. If you have a dedicated graphics card installed, you can try forcing the game to run on the dedicated card instead of the integrated one. I'll update this post with a guide once I find it in the original thread.

4. My game crashes at certain points. What can I do?
    Many features of the game are not fully implemented and will crash the game.

Here's a list of known workarounds:
    1. Do not pick up any medkits.
    2. There's also a guide from Niveus on how to move certain triggers to prevent crashes here: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...39#post8265439

5. When I start the game I get a few lines of "STRING NOT FOUND" instead of the menu text. What can I do?
    Make sure you followed the install guide correctly. If you did, add the -USA -english options to your run.bat to force the game into USA/English mode.

Tips & Tricks

Creating uncompressed screenshots
Create a folder called screenshots within the C:\Artbase\tombraider folder before starting the game. When you now press the Print Screen button on your keyboard, a screenshot will be saved in that folder. Be aware, that each time you start the game, the screenshot counter resets. You will overwrite previous screenshots after restarting if you don't move them out.
Thanks to rewak for this.

Recording / Replaying Input
If you start the game with the -rec option (add it in run.bat), the game will save the input sequence to a file called C:\Artbase\tombraider\record.lara. Run the game with the -play option to replay the inputs automatically.

Increasing FOV (field of view)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
If you add the -simulatepsp to run.bat the games field of view will increase. Or rather the camera will go further back.
The same thing can be done in game when you bring down the console with ` and type SP.

Configuring Anti-Aliasing and Texture Filtering
The game itself does not seem to have options for this, but you can use Nvidia Profile Explorer (for Nvidia Cards) or Catalyst Control Center to override application settings, to get a more high-quality rendering.

Accessing unreachable areas
There are some triggers that crash and / or areas that are blocked by doors. In order to gain access, you have several options:
  1. Use DOZY or Free Camera Mode (see "Controls" above)
  2. Manipulate Triggers to bypass broken areas / triggers (see Niveus' post).
  3. Use CheatEngine software to modify Lara's coordinates. Gh0stBlade uploaded a CheatTable to archive.org (TRAE.CT) that can be loaded into the software to manipulate Lara's current coordinates.

Last edited by ANoDE; 03-01-21 at 13:18.
Old 03-01-21, 10:54   #4
Wooxman

I have an addition for the controls: When Lara hangs on a ledge, you have to press an otherwise unused button to let go of it. It's probably "X" on the PS4 controller as that one seems to have the same button mappings as my Logitech Rumblepad 2.

Speaking of which, in case that someone else plays with a "generic" Dinput controller, these are the button mappings on my Rumblepad 2:

Left analogue stick: move Lara
Right analogue stick: move camera
Button 1: Draw weapon
Button 2: let go from ledges
Button 3: action button / confirm options in pause menu
Button 4: jump button
Button 5: unused (?)
Button 6: Teleport Lara to the camera when using the free camera mode
Button 7: Walk button
Button 8: Turn around/roll when torch/weapon is drawn
Button 9: Inventory
Button 10: unused (?)
Clicking the right stick: Bring up debug/pause menu
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 11:09   #5
Niveus

Here's another for controls :
- Tap Action while swimming to force Lara to butterfly swim (I'm not sure it's actually any faster)
- Tap Action while surface swimming to force Lara to breast stroke
Niveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 12:06   #6
BlueCake
Inactive

Walk for me is Select and Roll is Start, i'm using a PS3 Controller
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 12:18   #7
UroshUchiha

If you add the -simulatepsp to run.bat the games field of view will increase. Or rather the camera will go further back.
The same thing can be done in game when you bring down the console with ` and type SP.

EDIT: Also, to restore sound to St Francis Folly and Lost Valley, you don't need to copy all of those files. Just the two I mentioned here: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...postcount=7039

Last edited by UroshUchiha; 03-01-21 at 12:20.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 13:23   #8
Zebra

Just to add: you can jump sideways on ledges where Lara can put her feet up on the wall. Push the analogue stick in the direction you want to jump, press jump and then quickly press action so Lara will grab the ledge again.

Some questions/issues I've had:

Has anyone managed to get past the beginning of Tomb of Tihocan? I've managed to lower the water level but now there's a strong current in the room that effects Lara even above water so I cannot pull the lever to open the door and even in DOZY mode Lara cannot go through the door.

I keep getting an error message and a crash every time I enter the courtyard area in City of Khamoon. I can't remember what it is right now (will check again and get back to you) but just wanted to ask if anyone else has been getting that. EDIT: The error message is: "GetAnimPtr can't find ANIMSTATE_CLOSED-AECC6AD3"

Has anyone managed to get Palace Midas to play?

And how do you roll? I'm on an Xbox controller and when I press the Start button, Lara only ever does the quick turn, no matter whether she's standing or running.

Last edited by Zebra; 03-01-21 at 13:55.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 13:28   #9
BlueCake
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Has anyone managed to get Palace Midas to play?

And how do you roll? I'm on an Xbox controller and when I press the Start button, Lara only ever does the quick turn, no matter whether she's standing or running.
Not yet, and you can only do the classic roll when the torch is drawn.
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 14:04   #10
Cezar

Thank you for this guide! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post

It's a great option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post

XBOX Controllers
I have some issues with my Xbox360 controller. Everything works fine except the right analog. I can't move camera at all. I had to use emulator of keyboard and that's how I add buttons "I J K L" to my pad. Strange
Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote