Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 02-04-24, 08:59   #1
Synapse

Default An Underrated Gem

I can't believe how much fun I've had so far playing this game with the mod from the Definitive Edition creators. It is a pity that the original devs didn't get to finish this game and remove bugs etc. And thanks to the modding community they've brought this game back to life. This has to be one the most fun Tomb Raider games I've played in years.
Synapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-24, 17:19   #2
TRJTA

Thanks for the compliments. I totally agree. When properly finished this is a very fun, atmospheric and interesting game.
TRJTA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-24, 23:02   #3
perryloo

Agree, there was a lot missing from the original game.

But my main problem with the PC version, was the poor keyboard controls which were totally different from previous TR games. Lara was like a tank in operation, and when jumping I could not accurately predict a good landing, hence she died a lot.

That was actually an understatement, as had to save all the time as she just kept dying, as she was so hard to control.

In previous TR games the controls were so good, you could move Lara without thinking, as though an extension to your body, but unfortunately AOD was not like that, and hence I do not play it often.
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-24, 18:37   #4
Fabiusco

Despite everything, I love it too!!
I think I see more potential than actual quality in it, but if they hadn't had all those problems during development, I think it would have been a memorable entry in the series.

I still have to play it with mods on PC, but up until now, I think the only playable version was the PS2 one!
Fabiusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-24, 09:33   #5
TRJTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiusco View Post
Despite everything, I love it too!!
I think I see more potential than actual quality in it, but if they hadn't had all those problems during development, I think it would have been a memorable entry in the series.

I still have to play it with mods on PC, but up until now, I think the only playable version was the PS2 one!
Please do! The modded PC version is way ahead of the PS2 version in every possible way.

You can either play the Restoration Project, which retains the vanilla graphics, or play my Definitive Edition which also included the Restoration Project for the whole game but also improves the graphics and Audio for the first part of the game.
TRJTA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-24, 22:04   #6
Fabiusco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
Please do! The modded PC version is way ahead of the PS2 version in every possible way.

You can either play the Restoration Project, which retains the vanilla graphics, or play my Definitive Edition which also included the Restoration Project for the whole game but also improves the graphics and Audio for the first part of the game.
I'll definitely do!

I wanted to replay it before the release of TRI-II-III remastered, but in the end, I didn't had time...

By the way, I love these projects, like the Silent Hill 2 one where the fans made what was originally the worst version, the best.

I've seen some videos of modded AoD and I was very impressed, especially by the improvements to the gameplay which was the thing that made me hate the PC version!
Fabiusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-24, 19:52   #7
Freddie Croft

I'm currently playing through this game and I have very much fun with it! I changed the controls to be more like the from TR1-3 Remastered and it works really well with that!
I always loved TRAOD's style and especially the louvre levels - as well as the many TRAOD parodys on YouTube
Freddie Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-24, 17:40   #8
Delamo1999

I hope this game is remastered. I had problems playing it due to the glitches. However, it is a fun game. I love the boxing part where you can choose an outcome. The scene where she must rush out of a building before it explodes is a bit choppy for me. The concept sounds fun though. I loved the Louve and the good frustration of the laser traps, which were not choppy. The graveyard, too, was good. Lastly add in Janice, a character whom Lara gets to converse with.

Please feel free to add all the good stuff you love about this game.
Delamo1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-24, 17:53   #9
Mr Od

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delamo1999 View Post
I hope this game is remastered. I had problems playing it due to the glitches. However, it is a fun game. I love the boxing part where you can choose an outcome. The scene where she must rush out of a building before it explodes is a bit choppy for me. The concept sounds fun though. I loved the Louve and the good frustration of the laser traps, which were not choppy. The graveyard, too, was good. Lastly add in Janice, a character whom Lara gets to converse with.

You literally like the worst and less Tomb-Raiding things in the game. Not a surprise, given your Survivor-inspired avatar!

I like the Tomb of the Ancients and Hall of Seasons structures beneath the Louvre, then the Bio-Research Facility and the Aquatic Research Area in the Strahov complex.

So, not many things. Most of the levels have utterly flat and uninspired structures. It is not so much due to the non-archaeological setting itself, as contemporary games with similar settings managed to do much better in terms of atmosphere (think of Prague in Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb).

Last edited by Mr Od; 11-07-24 at 19:44.
Mr Od is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-24, 18:41   #10
Darkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delamo1999 View Post
Janice, Lara's sunglasses, the sprinting super jump thing she has in that game (when it works), the wall climbing animation (it's so seamless!), cutscenes in general, the music and when Kurtis dies
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote