Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 09-07-24, 06:06   #1
Flame_Knights

Default The "Brazil" stuff that has no meaning, Shadow's story may be altered.

At the beginning of the story, Lara was at the starting point of the Mayan immigration journey. After solving the constellation puzzle, she discovered that the Mayan destination was in Peru, but Trinity solved the wrong location and arrived in Brazil.
But later on, we know that the Trinity has already taken control of Paititi, and they understand that this is where the Mayans stored the silver box, so all the "Brazil" content is completely unnecessary, which creates a narrative contradiction. Even cutting out all the "Brazil" plots does not affect the story.
Does this mean that the story has been changed? At the beginning, Lara and Trinity were looking for the hidden city. The two competed with each other, Lara went to Peru, and Trinity went to Brazil. But the plot was altered halfway, and Trinity suddenly actually controlled Paititi, but there was no time to revised the early plot, which resulted in the existence of "Brazil" content that made no sense in the plot.

edit:If Amaru want to find the silver box, there is no need to solve the Cozumel puzzle, because the Cozumel puzzle is used to find the hidden city of Paititi, where Amaru was born. Therefore, the Mayan puzzle of Cozumel has no meaning.
He knows that the silver box was taken by the missionary Andres Lopez, so his first task should be to study the life of Andres Lopez and investigate where he can go, rather than going to Cozumel to solve the Mayan puzzle that makes no sense to him, or even solve a wrong answer and reach the wrong place.
The only explanation is that they went to Brazil for another reason, but in fact Lara misunderstood, but if this is the case, the game should give an explanation.

Quote:
Lara: It goes on. "Then chase the heart of the serpent to the silver-crowned mountain." Look at this. It's the constellation Hydra, the serpent. This star is the heart, it's set in the south-west.
Jonah: So south-west from the Amazon river. Brazil.
Lara: Peru.
Jonah: Peru?
Lara: Okay, uhm. This date from the ruins, see - if you look closely - is damaged. This number looks like a Mayan thirteen but what if it's really an eight? With precession–
Jonah: What?
Lara: Uhm, precession... the earth tilts, so over time the stars appear in a different place on the horizon. Important if you're navigating by the night sky.
Jonah: Okay...
Lara: In the Mayan calendar that's a 2,000-year difference. Back then the heart of the serpent sat directly to the west.
Jonah: So that's why it's in Peru, not Brazil. Trinity has been looking in the wrong place.
Maybe I should reiterate my core idea. What I mean is that in Lara and Jonah's view, the constellation puzzle can easily be wrongly solved as Brazil, and in their view this is the reason why Trinity went to Brazil. Whatever the real purpose of Trinity is, at least Lara thinks so. But this conclusion is inconsistent with the subsequent story. In my opinion, if Lara's conclusion is wrong, the game should give an explanation, otherwise the game narrative will leave a loophole. I hope there is in-game evidence to show the real reason why Trinity went to Brazil or to show that Lara's conclusion is overturned, otherwise it will still be a narrative loophole and I will have to come up with my own conspiracy theory haha.

Last edited by Flame_Knights; 09-07-24 at 16:16.
Flame_Knights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-24, 06:22   #2
Flame_Knights

Sorry for my poor English, the title should use "altered" instead of "modified".

Last edited by Flame_Knights; 09-07-24 at 06:30.
Old 09-07-24, 13:15   #3
Heckler

Well, clues from Cozumel where she found the ceremonial dagger that Trinity was after lead them to Peru to find the box that they also needed.

Domingues is the prince of Paititi. He is Unuratu's brother in law and neither him or Unuratu knew where the box was so Lara eventually discovers the box far away in that San Juan church.

Trinity has been digging in Brazil for about 15 years under Domingues' instruction with no luck. During this time they also relieved Lara of her annoying nosy father who knew too much. The Brazil thing makes sense because they obviously would've acted on misguided leads and established themselves there during the course of that time.
Heckler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-24, 14:05   #4
Flame_Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
Well, clues from Cozumel where she found the ceremonial dagger that Trinity was after lead them to Peru to find the box that they also needed.

Domingues is the prince of Paititi. He is Unuratu's brother in law and neither him or Unuratu knew where the box was so Lara eventually discovers the box far away in that San Juan church.

Trinity has been digging in Brazil for about 15 years under Domingues' instruction with no luck. During this time they also relieved Lara of her annoying nosy father who knew too much. The Brazil thing makes sense because they obviously would've acted on misguided leads and established themselves there during the course of that time.
Unfortunately, Cozumel's riddle is to find the Hidden City, not the Silver Box.
Quote:
To find the hidden city, go South along the shore until you find the pink fish. Then chase the heart of the serpent to the silver-crowned mountain where the Twins confer.
The only possible explanation is that Domingues is too stupid to know anything(This does not seem to be consistent with his doctoral degree.). Otherwise this plot doesn't make any sense.

edit:If Amaru want to find the silver box, there is no need to solve the Cozumel puzzle, because the Cozumel puzzle is used to find the hidden city of Paititi, where Amaru was born. Therefore, the Mayan puzzle of Cozumel has no meaning.
He knows that the silver box was taken by the missionary Andres Lopez, so his first task should be to study the life of Andres Lopez and investigate where he can go, rather than going to Cozumel to solve the Mayan puzzle that makes no sense to him, or even solve a wrong answer and reach the wrong place.
The only explanation is that they went to Brazil for another reason, but in fact Lara misunderstood, but if this is the case, the game should give an explanation.
The result now is that if you carefully sort out the story, you will only find that Amaru is a complete idiot.

Last edited by Flame_Knights; 09-07-24 at 14:20.
Old 10-07-24, 02:33   #5
Moon-Safari

The story in shadow is so complicated and convoluted, but that's why I love threads like this because that doesn't mean everything doesn't have strategic meaning.

I think trinity split up into A team and B team to develop two different games. Brazil is AOD and Shadow is Chronicles. It's a game dev parallel. My light just turned off randomly.

Okay we're onto something.

Now apply that theory to the context of the game's story to solve for x.

and apply it to a third thing that is Y.
Moon-Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-24, 14:46   #6
Vaskito

Dominguez went to Cozumel (searching for the Key of Chak Chel), after many years of searching for both artifacts from the Maya myths. Lara knew all but one Trinity search places from her father's notes (Cozumel) had already been destroyed, giving her the lead to go there to understand why they hadn't destroyed it yet, resulting in Shadow's plot and the key and box.

As for the conversation about Brazil, Dominguez was not looking for the hidden city. Lara was (and thought they were too), and by the time of that cinematic where she found the riddle, she thought it was just ruins and where the box was hidden. Dominguez was multiple steps ahead of her in that regard, (obviously, since he came from Paititi) and he already knew the Silver Box was no longer there - something Lara only learned later on

Click image for larger version

Name:	Map.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	6776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Knights View Post
edit:If Amaru want to find the silver box, there is no need to solve the Cozumel puzzle, because the Cozumel puzzle is used to find the hidden city of Paititi, where Amaru was born. Therefore, the Mayan puzzle of Cozumel has no meaning..
He wasn't there to solve the puzzle. The puzzle had already been solved many years/decades ago (there are Trinity skelletons in the ground, and Paititi had been invaded by Trinity many years ago as well), and the place is booby-trapped. The puzzle was only relevant to Lara because she was the one looking for the hidden city. Dominguez was only in Cozumel to find the Key, as he was pretty certain he'd find it there, whereas other Trinity agents were still trying to find any leads on the box

Last edited by Vaskito; 10-07-24 at 15:10.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-24, 00:36   #7
Darkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon-Safari View Post
The story in shadow is so complicated and convoluted, but that's why I love threads like this because that doesn't mean everything doesn't have strategic meaning.

I think trinity split up into A team and B team to develop two different games. Brazil is AOD and Shadow is Chronicles. It's a game dev parallel. My light just turned off randomly.

Okay we're onto something.

Now apply that theory to the context of the game's story to solve for x.

and apply it to a third thing that is Y.
That would explain why both of those games suck ass, Trinity developed them like that on purpose to tarnish Lara's reputation it all adds up now.

The whole Brazil thing flew over my head so I don't really remember if it made sense or not, I was half-asleep by that point in that SurviBore *yawn* game.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote