www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-19, 09:36   #1
GRiannisRaider
Explorer
 
GRiannisRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Greece , Athens
Posts: 615
Default Playstation classic console

My question is simple has the new playstation 1 that released in December tomb raider 1 ?
I'm talking about this console : https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018...stalled-games/
__________________
'' D'you know,it's gonna be a real pleasure to shut you up ''
GRiannisRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 09:58   #2
ANoDE
Gold Contributor
 
ANoDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austria
Posts: 4,228
Default

According to the announcement here it doesn't. These are the installed games:

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms
__________________
It's an affront to the very delicacy of my nature.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 12:01   #3
fallenangle
Archaeologist
 
fallenangle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NW London
Posts: 1,801
Default

The PS 'Classic' has been derided and badly review for a number of reasons but particularly for its far from stella list of included games. There are undoubtedly some true classics but at least half the games wouldn't make any PS top 20 list.

The absence of at least TR1, a game which pretty much popularized the Playstation brand and made it what it is was the most baffling omission.

The 'good' thing is that the machine is easily hackable (apparently) and with the right tools and the original games you can actually install whatever you want on it.

The main benefit over an actual PS/PSOne/PS2 is the HDMI output and the fact is that the good games on it just about justify the cost now it has been reduced ie. if bought from the PSN store or original discs they would cost you more. So it does have some raison d'etre unless you already own a PS3.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 12:28   #4
Trenton
Tomb Raider
 
Trenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: St.Francis' Folly Gender: Male
Posts: 18,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
The absence of at least TR1, a game which pretty much popularized the Playstation brand and made it what it is was the most baffling omission.
Its glaring omission (along with a few other titles like Crash Bandicoot etc) is weird indeed.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there were some leaks that showed TR1 as well as a few other games were originally intended to be included with the Playstation Classic, but for some reason weren't in the final version.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
The main benefit over an actual PS/PSOne/PS2 is the HDMI output and the fact is that the good games on it just about justify the cost now it has been reduced ie. if bought from the PSN store or original discs they would cost you more. So it does have some raison d'etre unless you already own a PS3.
A quite decent alternative, provided you already own the game discs of course, is playing them through a PS1 emulator (for example ePSXe for Android/Windows). This enables rendering the games at a higher resolution than what you get from PS1/PS2/PS3/PSVita. I particularly recommed this if playing on a large modern display.
__________________
Lud's Gate = masterpiece level
Trenton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 22:02   #5
bollweevil
Hobbyist
 
bollweevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Its glaring omission (along with a few other titles like Crash Bandicoot etc) is weird indeed.
Yeah the exclusion of crash and spyro was definitely a head-scratcher. Imagine if the Mini NES or SNES didn't have any Mario games.
bollweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 22:15   #6
Kirishima
Historian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
...TR1 as well as a few other games were originally intended to be included with the Playstation Classic, but for some reason weren't in the final version.
They probably couldn't secure licenses from the rights holders for whatever reason, although I don't doubt that something else could be the issue. IIRC, the version of Tekken 3 in the collection was the PAL version, not the NTSC version for some reason.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 03:09   #7
WhoIAm
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollweevil View Post
Yeah the exclusion of crash and spyro was definitely a head-scratcher. Imagine if the Mini NES or SNES didn't have any Mario games.
I wouldn't be surprised if the recent remakes of both series were a driving factor in this. Perhaps Activision worried that having the originals readily available would cut into sales of the remakes.
WhoIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 14:58   #8
fallenangle
Archaeologist
 
fallenangle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NW London
Posts: 1,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
A quite decent alternative, provided you already own the game discs of course, is playing them through a PS1 emulator (for example ePSXe for Android/Windows). This enables rendering the games at a higher resolution than what you get from PS1/PS2/PS3/PSVita. I particularly recommed this if playing on a large modern display.
I do that myself with a few games using my own original PS discs but I'm not a great fan of emulators. There is always something that does not work quite right.

I tried with a game that desperately needs the best resolution and graphics possible: the still unsurpassed WW2 tank combat game: Panzer Front Biz a now rare J-NTSC only game that was an expanded version of the original Panzer Front.

It was being recommended to use ePSXe with Panzer Front long ago and there is quite good info on doing that still available. The reason: the graphics are noticeably superior to those when being played on a PS/PSOne or even PS2.

When it starts it plays very well but at some point, peculiarly it seems triggered by restarting one of the additional missions, it begins to do things that the game is not even supposed to support like swapping between other tanks in your squad. But the control is just limited to movement. You can not return to your own tank and you can not shoot or do most of the other stuff you need too.

In short it is a game killer and it is not just that particular game, I've had issues with other PS games running on PC emulators.

Give me an original PC version of any game, if available, any day.

Last edited by fallenangle; 11-07-19 at 12:25.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 20:54   #9
Trenton
Tomb Raider
 
Trenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: St.Francis' Folly Gender: Male
Posts: 18,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
They probably couldn't secure licenses from the rights holders for whatever reason, although I don't doubt that something else could be the issue. IIRC, the version of Tekken 3 in the collection was the PAL version, not the NTSC version for some reason.
Yeah the Playstation Classic really gives off the impression of being a rushed job. Sony definitely did not put the proper care and attention to this that they should have.



Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
I do that myself with a few games using my own original PS discs but I'm not a great fan of emulators. There is always something that does not work quite right.
Yes there always seem to be something not running quite right. Luckily it seems the classic TR games aren't riddled with any of the more severe game breaking ones. I have games that won't even run at all.
In my ideal world they should run identically to playing on the original console only in higher resolution. I really think that's what Sony should have done for all the 3D based PS1 games bought through PSN. I guess it's not an easy task though.
__________________
Lud's Gate = masterpiece level
Trenton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 11:55   #10
Dustie
Relic Hunter
 
Dustie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Poland
Posts: 9,032
Default

Speaking of emulating, I managed to get the ePSXe to overclock the emulated PS CPU and it removes a lot of the lag/framerate drops, making TR (and other games) finally run much smoother. On top of that, it seems to easily recognize the Dualshock 4 controller without DS4Windows. Thanks to that I can finally play the PS1 versions in a convenient way. I couldn't stand the slowdowns I experienced when trying TR3.

I kind of wanted to get PS Classic for the controllers, but I realized when playing on DS4 that it's actually really hard to control Lara using the DPad due to it's independent buttons design. I thought I would hate it, and that it's completely misguided to even attempt it, but I ended up playing with the analog stick instead!

Last edited by Dustie; 12-07-19 at 11:58.
Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 13:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.