www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 30-03-19, 14:33   #1
_Seth
Archaeologist

Lightbulb Alternatives Ideas to Levers and Keys

One common complaint about classic TR level design is the abundance of generic keys and levers, and while I think how they mechanically provide a good exploration task, sometimes they can get a bit heavy on the repetition, so I challenged myself to come up with some alternatives. Thinking these up proved rather difficult sometimes, and the goal here is not to change the functionality of anything, just to provide a bit of variety to what you pick up/interact with.

St Francis' Folly 4 keys - Instead of keyholes, there could be two murals on a tiled wall either side of the main exit door of Thor, Damocles, Neptune and Atlas, with each of the head wall tile slab missing, so you retrieve those and place them on the corresponding God mural.

The Cistern 2 silver keys and gold key - Instead, where the gold keyhole room is just before the checkerboard room, have a headless statue either side of the door to it so you have to find 2 statue heads instead of 2 silver keys, and to replace the gold key could be a gold plug-key artefact that goes directly into the door in between the statues, similar to TR2's talon.

Tomb of Tihocan 4 pressure plate room with 2 keyholes - How about we eliminate the moveable block and have Lara stand on a pressure plate to open each door (which remains open after moving off even as the plate re-rises). The pressure plates would each represent one of the 4 Gods with their date of death engraved. The rooms would all have a wall with a set of dates in a particular order which tells you which pressure plate order to stand on to open the main door, however a different portion of each wall engraving is missing so you have to get a rubbing of each to complete the set to learn the order.

Tomb of Tihocan centaur platform - Currently, before you approach the centaur platform towards the end of the level you find a side room with a lever that opens a door hidden beneath the platform to a small room with another lever that opens the main tomb door. Instead, have the main centaur platform raised too high for Lara to climb onto from the surface of water, where the goal is to find somewhere to stand in the near vicinity to shoot some chains hanging onto some large stones. These stones landing in the water would raise the surface enough for Lara to stand, approach and fight the centaurs. After dealing with them, towards the right of the door near the water edge could be a tunnel that takes you upwards back out to look down on the platform, where there's a chain coming from a hole in the roof that you must run and jump and grab onto. Lara's weight would activate the opening of the door and you'd swing off into the water safely and go inside.

Natla's Mines - Instead of pulling a lever and the boat magically moving by itself, have the boat be anchored with old rope where Lara finds and uses a single-use pair of rusty scissors to cut the rope as they break in her hands once it's released - the boat would naturally drift in the appropriate next position. Instead of 3 fuses, how about 1 fuse, a spare lever stick to use in a mechanism and a key to actually gain access to the control hut.

This is what I have so far. I'm up to Egypt so I'll try to imagine some more diversification, if that is the phrase.

Last edited by _Seth; 27-11-19 at 23:43.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-19, 15:50   #2
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Good ideas! Other alternatives could be rotating tile pieces for certain murals, or swapping gears, similar to the Wii version of Anniversary. Idk how they would have done this for a game in ‘96 though.

I think some people (usually newer fans) are more tired of having to backtrack for parts of the puzzles. Personally, I almost always found this to be a lot of fun, but others might think it’s tedious.
Old 30-03-19, 16:16   #3
HarleyCroft
Archaeologist

I've always liked the idea of fixing mechanisms to go forward instead of finding literal keys Really, the keys always so huge and colourful and left standing up right there on the floor in plain sight for Lara to pick up. I forgive the classic games for that because it was the '90s and everything was kind of colourful and tacky and stand-out during that decade

The gear keys in TR1 were really creative and something Anniversary did really right was including the giant mechanism as a way to explore. I also loved the crowbar, shovel and pole+hook items in the Last Revelation, although it wasn't always too clear what they were meant for.
Old 30-03-19, 22:31   #4
Zebra
Legend

I think AoD did a relatively good job of intertwining puzzles and storytelling. Not always (the Vault of Trophies underwater puzzle was pretty meh, for example) but generally speaking, it was a very cool approach. It would be really cool if solving a puzzle required you to learn more about a location's history or understand what it was originally used for.

In addition to that, I could also see there being a place for the more physics-based approach of recent TR games. You know, trying to break a door instead of opening it properly, for example. The puzzles in recent games may not have been great but the physics-based approach isn't a bad one.
Old 30-03-19, 22:39   #5
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I think AoD did a relatively good job of intertwining puzzles and storytelling. Not always (the Vault of Trophies underwater puzzle was pretty meh, for example) but generally speaking, it was a very cool approach. It would be really cool if solving a puzzle required you to learn more about a location's history or understand what it was originally used for.

In addition to that, I could also see there being a place for the more physics-based approach of recent TR games. You know, trying to break a door instead of opening it properly, for example. The puzzles in recent games may not have been great but the physics-based approach isn't a bad one.
I also loved the notebook puzzles, like opening the Archelogical dig with the notebook and and using some archaeology machinery to get the other symbols.

I want the Notebook to return, it was a neat idea and I liked how Lara could examine things in the environment for background information that got put in it, it's like Re-Reboots notes but there isn't way too many of them because we need a certain amount of collectables.

Last edited by Samz; 30-03-19 at 22:41.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-19, 02:16   #6
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Its is sad that AOD did have some good ideas in regard to both puzzles and gameplay. I've always thought that giving LC genuine conversational choices with consequences, non-lethal options and/or well implemented stealth would have taken the gameplay to a new level of sophistication.

However, most of what Core said AOD was going to be like never happened or feebly implemented and the result was hugely disappointing in almost every department. Potential wasted.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-19, 23:40   #7
_Seth
Archaeologist

I have updated the first post to include Natla's Mines.
Old 28-11-19, 02:36   #8
LaraCablara
Professor

I would have liked it if you had to inspect and rotate an item like in Resident Evil 2 or the reboot games to find a hint or open it up or something.

I think it was doable too in 1996 and could have made the key thing more interesting.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-19, 13:18   #9
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Good idea. ^

I think it needs to be made clearer for those who do not know RE2 - you can rotate/examine the items you've found when looking at them in the inventory. Some of have vital information or just hints which help you progress.

Very interesting puzzle idea I've thought about too and could easily have worked with any of the old TRs.

How about an evolution of that together with something which was used in TR4/5: combining items. Old rusty key + rust remover on examination revealing a door symbol or a wall painting/fresco/archaeologist's note + infra-red or UV light to expose a hidden code, clue, location or significant name.

There actually is something like the latter in TR4 in Under The Sphinx but it is an optional in situ puzzle, not an inventory one and comes so late I bet few players thought to use it at the time.

Things like that have been doable in games for almost 25 years and could have been added to and enhanced TR's puzzles right from the start.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote