Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 12-03-19, 21:59   #14311
Tonyrobinson

In a lot of those cases that's true. You may not be able to talk about a film making process talking about whether or not there are plans in place. If there are they won't answer usually but if they say there are no current plans then usually they have nothing to hide. It's standard practice. Usually you may also not get a comment unless you are from a reputable respected publication.

In the case of writing to a publicist or PR person for GK himself they may be able to answer on his behalf about plans.

The last speculative information I'd heard around the prospect of the sequel was that it didn't breakeven or have a good enough box office to warrant them greenlighting any times soon and another source said that they may consider it because of good overseas numbers so for now it's just a wait and see kind of deal.

As I say it may be good news they are still not allowed to talk about it in any capacity at this stage though. We will just have to wait and see. The film would be in development stages first if anything was happening NOT pre production though I feel that may have been lost in translation if the insider Andre spoke to was legitimate. To be in pre production they'd have some sort of production schedule in place already which is highly unlikely for a film that hasn't been officially announced.

It's more likely they'd be in early talks or early development process when referring to a sequel. This isn't to blast Andre or anything I see no reason why he'd lie.

If he says his source has been spot on with some if the things that have since been announced then great. I personally haven't heard anything about it in a while because I've been out of the loop.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 12-03-19 at 22:17.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 22:42   #14312
Portugalraider

André wasn't the one talking about early work now, Fanos was. Andre heard the same thing you did, but a while ago. And so did Fanos to be fair, this is quite recent.

And I think I was the one confusing pre-production with that early development plan. I thought they were the same thing. My bad. But I guess that at least some planning is actually happening and not a clear "no, it was a disaster, let's let it die". And for me at least that is something
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 00:06   #14313
Tonyrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
André wasn't the one talking about early work now, Fanos was. Andre heard the same thing you did, but a while ago. And so did Fanos to be fair, this is quite recent.

And I think I was the one confusing pre-production with that early development plan. I thought they were the same thing. My bad. But I guess that at least some planning is actually happening and not a clear "no, it was a disaster, let's let it die". And for me at least that is something
Fanos, sorry haha so many names to remember in this thread haha.

I hope we all have something to look forward to.
Old 13-03-19, 00:12   #14314
andre_costa

I have no idea what's going on now between you people, but my guy (or girl) said something.
Basically he or she knows nothing. The source said that the last meeting that he or she heard about is still the one from August. Which can only mean 2 things.
First, the sequel is not even in pre-production, maybe they are just in talks...
Second, the sequel is not being planned by wb anymore (my source is from wb).. I don't know if Fanos' source is from wb, so...
If Fanos ' source is from wb, maybe it knows something which mine doesn't.

Last edited by andre_costa; 13-03-19 at 00:15.
andre_costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 00:24   #14315
Portugalraider

It sounds more likely that this is really early work. Both sources said the same thing about WB wanting to fix their franchises and in the same order, so... Fanos did said that stuff earlier, so maybe his source is higher in WB or, if not from WB, has direct connections to higher ups?

Regardless, even if in really early talks/works, I do feel something is happening. Hopefully something good that does see a release.
Old 13-03-19, 00:34   #14316
Tonyrobinson

So bottom line is a resounding wait and see. I've not been following news on Tomb Raider closely since around the release so I haven't been catching up with the goings on surrounding a sequel or anything.

I think Lara will return in one form or another in the TV/Film format eventually just nothing in the near future. Best case scenario they greenlight a sequel with Alicia, a middle case is a TV or film reboot/sequel with a new actress and worst case we get nothing. I think if they want to go forward with a new actress and formula then they should wait a long time before moving forward maybe atleast seven years or so.

This interview with Geneva explains a bit more in depth how they approached the 2018 film, it was maybe not going to get made until they found Alicia. It didn't sound like they were confident in the writing side of things to be honest from the vibe I'm getting.

https://screenwritingumagazine.com/2...icia-vikander/

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 13-03-19 at 00:59.
Old 13-03-19, 07:12   #14317
Ellioft

I think Alicia having a lot to say about how she wanted the character to be it's great. This show how much the situations have turned out for the actresses, before Angelina was here wearing a panned bra without a lot of controls and now Alica have taken a control on the story of Lara.

I also think she have sympatise with Roar he was open to the discussion (some others directors aren't and only shoot the screenplay and that's all).

I will be so curious to see all these draft to read every single one of them

Alicia is on board don't forget that she said that a lot of times. Even given some clues like she wanted to visit the Groenland.

She was saying this at the end if the Artbook "we have worked on a version of a character I haven't step fully into."

That mean Lara gonna evolve a lot more in the sequel.

They do have confidence in Alicia.

Now we have to wait but I'm sure it's positive

Last edited by Ellioft; 13-03-19 at 07:19.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 13:58   #14318
TrustyBow

It's cool that Alicia played a huge part in shaping the script. I wouldn't be surprised if the best parts of it were a result of her.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 19:31   #14319
isanvel

about the new film is it alicia again featuring lara?
isanvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 19:44   #14320
Portugalraider

If the sequel does happen in the next few years, I don't see it not having Alicia return as Lara. Her portrayal of Lara was by far the best thing of the entire movie and praised even in negative reviews.