Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 29-03-20, 16:34   #1
matt27

Default Help with textures.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I wondered if anyone could help me with a problem I've been having? Im currently using the Room editor from this site (the XP/vista one). If I build a level with no textures it loads fine, if I build a level with the textures that came with the TRLE it loads fine, but when I use my own textures, created via the TR builder, it won't load. the textures were created in photoshop CC 2019 and at 128x128JPEG. Just to clarify, when I say load I mean after I've closed the Room Editor and opened it again to continue working on a project.

These are the messages I get:
1) ARG list too big.
2) WARNING:Texture file 'C:\PROGRAM2\TOMBRA1\minoan.PCX not found

The word program and tomra1 have black squares in place of the m in program and in between the a and the 1 in tombra1.

Lastly how do you zoom in and out?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
matt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-20, 16:54   #2
SrDanielPonces

use tomb editor pls
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-20, 18:34   #3
Titak

Welcome to the forums, matt27!

Not sure what you mean by 128x128JPEG because texture files for the Room Editor need to be in uncompressed TGA format.

"ARG list too big" when something in the files path has been changed.
Manually loading the TGA file will solve this error message.

I'm unfamiliar with a files called minoan.PCX.
The only PCX file that I know of is EDGEPTR.PCX. It is an imaged used by Room Editor to show arrows on the tiles. The arrows are needed when making slopes in floor, ceiling and walls.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-20, 21:09   #4
Kapu

Welcome, Matt. Are you new to level editing? If so, you should really check out Tomb Editor. It's a modern replacement for Room Editor. You use it to build TRLE levels just as you would with Room Editor, but it's much more user friendly and has tons of great features. If you are indeed new to building, I would skip learning Room Editor all together and go straight to Tomb Editor. We have a whole subforum just for it, and you can find the download and lots of info in this thread.

If you'd rather not jump on TE, then you might want to consider downloading TRNG - aka the "Next Generation" level editor. It's an hugely expanded TRLE engine and replacement tools - including Room Editor. The TRNG room editor is called NGLE. It's based on the old Room Editor and looks and functions primarily the same, but has a few tweaks to make the program more stable and easier to use. Some useful new features, too. Even if you don't want to dive into all the added features of TRNG, I'd still recommend using the NGLE room editor because it's much more stable than the old Room Editor. You can download TRNG here. We also have a dedicated TRNG subforum as well, as you can probably see.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-20, 11:39   #5
psiko

Core Design built the best games ever with the simple trle (and few others of their tools).

Anyhow, nobody mentioned now, that you should not use folders like C:\program files\ or documents, because those are special folders checked by the operating system continuously.
Instead, install trle in a safe folder like C:\trle\ (just copy and paste it there), it will be easier and less problematic, especially for issues like the "arg list too big" one
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-20, 11:47   #6
Joey79100

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiko View Post
Core Design built the best games ever with the simple trle (and few others of their tools).
But they had full control over their source code and could implement whatever they wanted to, whie with classic TRLE we're limited to existing engine features/puzzles and can't expand on that.
Quote:
Anyhow, nobody mentioned now, that you should not use folders like C:\program files\ or documents, because those are special folders checked by the operating system continuously.
Documents is safe actually. It's "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" that are protected by the system and that should be avoided (as well as the "Windows" folder, but I think that's obvious).
But yes, something like C:\trle is fine. Another thing to look out for is spaces in your path. If one of the folders leading to your project files has spaces in its name, it will most probably cause issues (for some reasons it works fine with some computers but usually it breaks).
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-20, 13:57   #7
SrDanielPonces

Quote:
Well many setups they have are hacks written into the engine. We can't do such thing
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-20, 14:35   #8
psiko

the point of that quote wasn't focused on what we cannot do because we do not have all the sources of the editor: we "cannot" do those things as well as with tombeditor, which was a suggestion.
What we cannot do, can't be done with whatever editor we chooce.

On the other side, and that was the point, we have the official main tool, trle, to build new levels, and with all ours customization tools, we almost can do whatever we decide with given engine. So, rather than giving an advice on which editor to use, just consider that trle is good enough, bugs included, to build all Core Design's levels, and much more, expecially if we use other tools like trviewer, wadmerger, strpix, meta2tr. That is, trle is a "tool", and as with any other tool in an artist's hands, it's the artist that make the difference. As I said, look at Core's levels... and they had then, all the limits we do not have now, after 20 years.

That suggestion is like: give it up with trle, with tomb editor you can build better levels, or it is as if I said to him: use 3dsmax, which, again, is only a tool.
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-20, 16:01   #9
Krystian

^ I feel you are misinterpreting what was originally said. It was never "with Tomb Editor you can make better levels", because that's obviously not the case. It was a suggestion to try out Tomb Editor, which however you look at it, is a more modern program than original winroomedit or NGLE. Many of the features of winroomedit and it's layout will be unfamiliar to people using modern-day software, and that's why it would be worth suggesting to use a program they might find more intuitive in its design
And let's not bring up the instability of winroomedit/NGLE on modern operating systems.

You can still achieve the same end result with any program, but if you can do so without having to first get accustomed to the old editor's layout, then I think that's a benefit. And most newcomers who've just entered the TRLE world agree that TE is easier to learn and use.

Last edited by Krystian; 30-03-20 at 16:07.
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-20, 00:11   #10
Kapu

I only suggested Tomb Editor because it does all the things that winroomedit does, but with a much nicer interface. Truth be told I haven't even switched to TE myself, but I plan to eventually. For now I'm just too accustomed to NGLE, fiddly interface and all.

But for someone who is new to TRLE, I would skip winroomedit/NGLE all together and go to the modern replacement. Why learn two programs, just go straight to the modern version. It's not perfect, but it is improving every month. winroomedit and NGLE will never improve beyond their current version.

@matt27 psiko makes an incredibly useful suggestion! Install TRLE in your "Documents" folder rather than "Program Files!" The Windows security system will make troubles for you constantly when it's there, but you won't have any issue in "Documents."
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote