Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 31-07-21, 16:04   #11
LateRaider
Inactive

arsunt's patch isn't compatible with dgvoodoo. it totally breaks the fmvs. if you want to change your settings while using dgvoodoo, you'll have to edit config.txt instead of using the sunglasses (b/c dgvoodoo makes the sunglasses crash)
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-21, 19:08   #12
Final Count

Gotcha, thanks!

I of course had to click the sunglasses to check, and now the game crashes past the FMVs every time. Any way to fix this, or do I need to download and install the game again?

Is there any fix for the short black screen at the beginning of FMVs? There's like a second or two of black screen before the video shows up in FMVs, despite being able to hear the sound?

And are there any fixes for tiny letters and health bars?

What is the most optimal way to play Tomb Raider 3 on modern PCs, and have everything work perfectly and look great at the same time?
Final Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-21, 20:40   #13
TombHackR
Golden

Do not mix dgVoodoo with any other patches like Pexioto or Asrunt.
Also avoid clicking on the sunglasses whilst using dgVoodoo, if you want to change Tomb Raider 3’s own graphics settings, edit the config.txt file in the game’s folder.

I would first delete the config.txt file if your game is crashing and the game will generate a new one. If the game still crashes then change the line titled ‘MMX’ from 1 to 0. If that doesn’t work then change the line ‘VM’ to 18.

There is no fix for tiny letters or health bars, it’s been like that since 1998 and won’t ever be fixed. The only work around is to lower your screen resolution.

My ‘perfect’ way of playing Tomb Raider 3 is with dgVoodoo, with max anisotropic filtering and max anti aliasing enabled, and 4:3 aspect ratio. The FMVs work for me with dgVoodoo, if they’re not working for you with dgVoodoo, on the first page of dgVoodoo settings, underneath ‘Adapters to use / enable’, make sure you have selected your graphics adapter (e.g. it will say something like ‘Nvidia Graphics’ or ‘AMD Radeon’ etc) and not whatever the default is.

Last edited by TombHackR; 31-07-21 at 20:50.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-21, 21:32   #14
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
There is no fix for tiny letters or health bars, it’s been like that since 1998 and won’t ever be fixed. The only work around is to lower your screen resolution.
Arsunt managed to fix this in TR2Main tor TR2 so I'm confident there will be a fix for this once TR3Main will be released. That might be some time until then though.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 10:54   #15
Kirishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Count View Post
And are there any fixes for tiny letters and health bars?
A workaround would to run tomb3's setup to set the game to something like 640x480, then have dgvoodoo2 upscale the resolution to whatever you want it to be. It's not a true fix, but it's the best that can currently be done atm.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 17:16   #16
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Arsunt managed to fix this in TR2Main tor TR2 so I'm confident there will be a fix for this once TR3Main will be released. That might be some time until then though.
Tomb Raider 2 correctly scales letters but the health bars are tiny at higher resolutions, although I believe you’re right and the health bars were fixed with TR2Main. As of now there though is no way to make them bigger in Tomb Raider 3 is to lower your resolution which decreases all the overall detail .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
A workaround would to run tomb3's setup to set the game to something like 640x480, then have dgvoodoo2 upscale the resolution to whatever you want it to be. It's not a true fix, but it's the best that can currently be done atm.
I tried that with Tomb Raider 2, and it resulted in broken health bars with lines cutting through them, they look interlaced… until I increased the resolution from 640x480 to 1024x768 to eventually 1280x1024 and had dgVoodoo upscale it to 1440x1080. That worked. Never tried it with Tomb Raider 3, I just went straight to 1280x1024.

Last edited by TombHackR; 01-08-21 at 17:21.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-21, 09:24   #17
Final Count

Is there a way to play Tomb Raider 3 with DGVoodoo's corrected jagged letter/sunlight/bubbles/etc. fix AND Peixoto's corrected FOV/resolution?
Old 16-08-21, 11:06   #18
Final Count

To sum up:

I'm using DGVoodoo to fix the jagged textures.

I'm using the widescreen patch to set camera distance and FOV.

However...

Lara is still what I would like to refer to as "thic Lara". Compared to screenshots I've taken from TR1, UB, TR2, GM, Lara is still very wide in TR3. I'm doing a YouTube video, so I want my footage from all three games to look "the same". I've succeeded with the previous four games (same distance from camera, FOV, "slim Lara"), but for some reason I can't get anywhere with TR3. Can somebody please help me fix this? It's super frustrating.
Old 16-08-21, 11:32   #19
klona
Golden

If you want the optimal experience for TR3, you should probably wait for the TR3Main patch.
klona is online now   Reply With Quote