Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 10-06-18, 16:57   #16231
shockwave_pulsar00

Wish they leaked a picture of the female protagonist....
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 19:15   #16232
tomee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave_pulsar00 View Post
Wish they leaked a picture of the female protagonist....
Isn't she technically still just a rumour? We don't know for sure if she really exists, but hopefully Ubi has pictures if she does.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 19:28   #16233
jarekhanzelka

I really enjoyed Origins, but this literally looks like a reskin. Even the UI is largely the same. I've sunk way too many hours into Origins to be interested in potentially a whole lot more of the same. Here's hoping actual gameplay vids will prove me wrong, perhaps by showing off improvements made on the combat system, some of the dialogue (which will hopefully be written notably better this time around), etc.

See, after playing Origins and praising their new direction, I was hoping a certain level of innovation would remain a part of that innovation, and not be a one time thing. I certainly won't be living for it if it just goes back to yearly releases, only this time each based off of Origins with little to no changes.
jarekhanzelka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 19:32   #16234
shockwave_pulsar00

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Isn't she technically still just a rumour? We don't know for sure if she really exists, but hopefully Ubi has pictures if she does.
I thought she was confirmed when the rumors where confirmed true, but I'm probably wrong haha.
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 19:59   #16235
Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Isn't she technically still just a rumour?
Well the rumors that mentioned her existence have all been proven true with these screenshots:

- the setting (era, Greece, etc.)
- the notoriety system
- Leonidas
- Ship
- Armor customization
- Dialogue options
- Etc.

So it's fair to assume it's true at this point. Would be weird to have all of the leaked informations turned true EXCEPT this one bit (female PC). I tried to find the male character's name in these screenshots but I couldn't find it. If he's named Alexios, then it confirms Kassandra (female counterpart). We should know soon enough, either during Microsoft's conference, or tomorrow at Ubi's.

That said, I find it sad to be honest. The general opinion seems to be "Origins 2.0" "copy paste" etc., which isn't a bad thing per se, the game can feel incredibly different even if it shares similar aesthetic and recycling assets isn't uncommon. But I feel that most of that would have been avoided (or reduced) if the screenshots portrayed the female character instead. But Ubisoft gotta be Ubisoft: scared of female characters. To this day I'm still disappointed that Evie was tossed on the side on Syndicate's cover, despite considered being the better character of the two.

I can't understand why Ubisoft focus so hard on male characters. I can't. Not when they put money and effort making a female character with her own storyline (if the rumors are true)... I wish they just... did a big leap of faith and embraced female characters more.

Last edited by Isaac; 10-06-18 at 20:00.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 20:23   #16236
tomee

Well those were leaks, so maybe they will start marketing more heavily once they actually show what they have to show at E3. It could definitely help set it apart from Origins right now. I'm still puzzled why people are rejecting this game so vehemently right away, but I guess it's everyone's prerogative.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 20:55   #16237
Isaac

People are rejecting instantly because they have a strong feeling of déjà-vue, both figuratively and literally.

We don't want another "Ezio" trilogy with yearly releases and recycled assets. It's a norm to recycle, like I said, but it's better to not make it too obvious and abuse that. Origins was released last October, we're probably getting Odyssey this year with "pre-order exclusives" and "deluxe/collector editions" worth 100+$... For mostly recycled environments.

The Ezio Trilogy + the yearly releases left a bad taste in people's mouth and I guess they fear history is repeating itself again.

Personally, the simple fact we might get a female playable character and her own storyline (instead of switching on the go àla Syndicate) is enough for me, because that means a full fleshed female character for once. But time will tell.

Last edited by Isaac; 10-06-18 at 20:57.
Old 10-06-18, 21:04   #16238
Yeauxleaux

I'm guessing they just think that a female character might be less marketable than a male one. There might unfortunately be some truth to that, because I think even today a disproportionate number of gamers are males, and idk maybe they do just want to tap into the male gamer market more (which is a perfectly reasonable and legitimate business strategy, targeting one sex in particular). However it's not like there's no market whatsoever for female protagonists, even among male players. As we've established there's been many highly successful ones, so it really wouldn't hurt to have one game in the main series that does it. It is a funny look when you have this entire series of several dozen protagonists, and none of them in a main game are a solo female. I also can't imagine that many men are going to turn down a game from a series they love just because "omg it's a woman!". Some might throw the trite over-used "SJW" accusation, as if female game characters are a sudden new thing *rolls eyes* but let's be real if they're hardcore fans of the games they'll still play.

It's not like Ubisoft struggle writing female characters either. I think most of the females we have seen in the series so far, even if they're just supporting ones, are actually exceptional. I do think their characters of either sex are nicely written and designed generally, and I love the historical settings and narratives, that's what makes me keep following the series.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 10-06-18 at 21:08.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 12:11   #16239
Isaac

FEMALE CHARACTER CONFIRMED

... and leaked gameplay footage lol.

https://www.facebook.com/UNILADGamin...7072269983305/
Old 11-06-18, 12:23   #16240
Alex Fly
Inactive

^ Thanks for posting. Both characters (Alexios and Kassandra - nice names) look great.
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote