Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 07-02-24, 06:39   #11
perryloo
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sat42 View Post
....@perryloo: given this insight from the game's files and the above, I have to imagine there was quite a bit of back and forth regarding the plans for the London episode, like they were winging it, unsurprising given how this was a new team under pressure to output a new game within a year while the other "senior" team labored on The Last Revelation.......
With the unused unfinished VICT.TR2 in the TR3 game, the same thing happened in TR4 The Last Revelation.

The TR4 game was getting far too long and an unused but almost finished and playable level (by a slight modification to get Lara in it) called "The Valley Temple" joby1b.TR4 was in the game disc, but never used.

It was never tied into the game. But when mapped out would have slotted in after the sphinx complex. This was proved by some members on here on old threads, by overlaying maps of the levels and seeing how the paths and roads tied in.

It shows the original designers were winging it on TR4 as well. This unused level is no great loss, as the finished TR4 game was long enough to play
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-24, 11:15   #12
Sat42
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryloo View Post
With the unused unfinished VICT.TR2 in the TR3 game, the same thing happened in TR4 The Last Revelation.

The TR4 game was getting far too long and an unused but almost finished and playable level (by a slight modification to get Lara in it) called "The Valley Temple" joby1b.TR4 was in the game disc, but never used.

It was never tied into the game. But when mapped out would have slotted in after the sphinx complex. This was proved by some members on here on old threads, by overlaying maps of the levels and seeing how the paths and roads tied in.

It shows the original designers were winging it on TR4 as well. This unused level is no great loss, as the finished TR4 game was long enough to play
Thanks for sharing this info, I didn't know this, indeed TR4's epic length led me to think they'd managed to cram in everything they could possibly have developed! (well there's always test maps of course, but having an unused quasi-finished level is something else)
Did the community make "The Valley Temple" playable in some form, maybe as a stand-alone map?
Sat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-24, 14:06   #13
perryloo
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sat42 View Post
Thanks for sharing this info....Did the community make "The Valley Temple" playable in some form, maybe as a stand-alone map?
There is loads of information on the Valley Temple level in the TR4 section, but is well summarised by Patrick Shannon on this thread...
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...ghlight=joby1b

As for a demo of The Valley Temple, I could not find a link that worked anymore, as its old threads, so have made a demo of the level. Note as it was an unused and unfinished level, there is no triggered items other than end level, so no baddies are going to jump out at you

Also if you find Lara is transported back to the start, then she has hit a link to end the level, where she would have gone onto the next level if Valley Temple had been in the TR4 game.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/p2u7c...emple.zip/file
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-24, 17:19   #14
Sat42
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryloo View Post
There is loads of information on the Valley Temple level in the TR4 section, but is well summarised by Patrick Shannon on this thread...
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...ghlight=joby1b

As for a demo of The Valley Temple, I could not find a link that worked anymore, as its old threads, so have made a demo of the level. Note as it was an unused and unfinished level, there is no triggered items other than end level, so no baddies are going to jump out at you

Also if you find Lara is transported back to the start, then she has hit a link to end the level, where she would have gone onto the next level if Valley Temple had been in the TR4 game.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/p2u7c...emple.zip/file
Awesome, many thanks for putting this demo together, I just played it! That's actually my first time downloading and playing a "custom" (even if based on unfinished official stuff!) map for a Tomb Raider game maybe I should try some proper fully fledged community content...
I also just read everything in the thread you shared: Valley Temple reminds me of how the game could actually be quite exhaustive in its attempts at portraying Egyptian archeological sites. But yeah, there was enough for the game, I can see why this map was cut.
Old 18-02-24, 20:31   #15
caisenma
Explorer

Unfortunately I fall into the Lud's Gate disliker camp. It's just a relentless slog for me, one difficult room after another, without any real sense of direction or purpose. Aldwych is a toughie, but it's also a really neatly designed level with a distinctive theme and a satisfying end. Lud's Gate almost feels like leftovers, rooms from a bunch of unfinished levels stitched together. Coupled with long swims and climbs that are fairly dull and uneventful, I just tire of it easily. Not to mention it's a TR3 vehicle level, which means headaches guaranteed.
caisenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-24, 15:15   #16
Sat42
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by caisenma View Post
Unfortunately I fall into the Lud's Gate disliker camp. It's just a relentless slog for me, one difficult room after another, without any real sense of direction or purpose. Aldwych is a toughie, but it's also a really neatly designed level with a distinctive theme and a satisfying end. Lud's Gate almost feels like leftovers, rooms from a bunch of unfinished levels stitched together. Coupled with long swims and climbs that are fairly dull and uneventful, I just tire of it easily. Not to mention it's a TR3 vehicle level, which means headaches guaranteed.
Hey thanks for the input understood, I think the reasons you list are pretty much the standard ones cited by those who dislike the level, and I acknowledged those as being objective sources of criticism. Heh, seems you also extend the distaste for the vehicular gameplay here to all other cases in TR3! I'm pretty eclectic and enjoy the variety that vehicles bring to the experience, though I think I don't need to experience the (purposefully) tricky mine cart sections in RX-Tech Mines again!