www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 13-05-20, 23:25   #1
Pillis
Student

Default It's still so good!

Playing the original classic again on my psvita and it's incredible how it's still so good. I don't think these classics have aged at all, the mechanics and level design are so perfect. I even like the shooting and action moments.

The music is stunning and the atmosphere is still unmatched. The voice acting wasn't even that bad. I also think the saving system on the ps1 was pretty nice. Not as scarce as in TRIII but more limited in terms of freedom, a sort of versatile checkpoint system that really lets you explore and focus on playing instead of constantly opening the menu over-using the save option, something that could happen a lot with the other classics.

I also think the underwater controls are the smoothest of the classic series, I never get stuck in corners and tunnels, something that happens more frequently in the other game probably because of more complex animations idk..

What I miss the most is the rotating jump and sprint ability. The game has the slowest animations so sometimes moving around can take too much time.
Pillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-20, 23:32   #2
Kidd Bowyer
Hobbyist

I agree with a lot of what you said. Replaying TR1's a ton of fun, but some sections (especially those Atlantis levels that love to throw in boulders) would be so much less frustrating with the turn-around jump. (And being able to roll while swimming.)

Overall, I find the level of difficulty is juuuust right...well, aside from a few rooms in Egypt/Atlantis/Unfinished Business that're like
"Hey! This room contains a bunch of enemies, and no items or important switches! It literally just exists to damage your health!"

Last edited by Kidd Bowyer; 14-05-20 at 01:08.
Kidd Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-20, 00:24   #3
Blue_light
Archaeologist

Definitely agree. A few years ago I did a TR marathon, and was so happy that TR1 still gave me goosebumps, and made me feel so fascinated by the atmosphere, and the level design. <3

TR1 is my perfect TR game, and will remain as such. =)
Old 14-05-20, 01:37   #4
redfox45
Archaeologist

With you on that one. I never gave TR1 a fair shot all the way through until after I played TRA and while TRA is good something about the original was just better, even after all this time.

By today's standards Laras model would definitely be laughed at and the tank controls would be seen as something alien and bizarre by many, it's hard to say where the objective ends and nostalgia begins but screw it. I still love playing it.
Old 14-05-20, 08:48   #5
Pillis
Student

I'm surprised how much I am enjoying the save system. I recently completed TRIII and I always use cheats on that one because I can't be bothered by the incredibly small amount of save crystals and flares, but in TRI it's very balanced and forces you to be more strategic about it. Also I feel that combat in I and II was really dangerous, like enemies are a threat. From III on they hardly deal damage to you (apart from certain bosses) and combat become more of a side thing. IV at least introduced more clever enemies that shield themselves or are unkillable so you have to use different approaches and weapons (like the laser light or explosives)
Old 14-05-20, 12:04   #6
AndrewNi
Student

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
By today's standards Laras model would definitely be laughed at and the tank controls would be seen as something alien and bizarre by many, it's hard to say where the objective ends and nostalgia begins but screw it. I still love playing it.
I find tank controls make much more sense than say, Mario 64 controls. It might be because my early games were all tank controlled though.
Old 14-05-20, 13:43   #7
Pillis
Student

Fact is, apart from the slow movements, especially turning on the spot, the grid system is actually incredibly precise. I don't understand who laments the imprecision of such controls, saying they die and fall from edges because of a flawed designed system. Actually accidental deaths are much more frequent in the CD games.
Now of course the old tank controls are incredibly dated and stiff but still I find them more satisfying and more fun to use. There's such an addicting feeling you get once you learn how to steer Lara efficiently without getting stuck into walls and corners, it's so well choreographed.

Now she trips, she whines, she cries, her jumps are inconsistent and unpredictable, she falls, you can't precisely choose between walk/run...all for the sake of realism and not for quality gameplay experience.
Old 17-05-20, 22:22   #8
Kidd Bowyer
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillis View Post
Fact is, apart from the slow movements, especially turning on the spot, the grid system is actually incredibly precise. I don't understand who laments the imprecision of such controls, saying they die and fall from edges because of a flawed designed system. Actually accidental deaths are much more frequent in the CD games.
The issue is momentum, and I say this as someone who vastly prefers the Classic! series.
In many modern games, the microsecond you let go of the analog stick, ya stop moving - even if you don't notice a pitfall until you're right on top of it, it's fairly easy to stop and correct yourself.

With TR1, Lara runs in half block(?) increments. So if you're a quarter-block away from a ledge and press forward, she'll run off. Sometimes you can quickly slam the brakes with the Walk button, but not always.

That said, taking the time to actually practice, or spending time in Lara's Home helps a lot, and I think a lot of new players suffer because they don't bother to do that - or even know they're supposed to bother.
Old 18-05-20, 16:49   #9
TR-Freak
Professor

Quote:
In many modern games,
the game doesnt let you go off ledge. The game would rather crash than do that
Old 18-05-20, 19:16   #10
Kidd Bowyer
Hobbyist

Oooh, maybe there is some kind of aim-assist-esque system in the new TRs where Lara "snaps" to the edge of a platform...