www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics

Old 18-02-16, 23:38   #201
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Just read the new issue. I quite liked it, although it's definitely a bit too introductory. At least it's better than the last Tomb Raider #001 :P

I just have a bit of a problem with Lara (spoilers from Rise btw!)being already recognized by her work in archaeology, namely in immortality-related stuff. I mean, she is only 22/23 right? 24 Maximum. And she never recovered anything related to immortality in Yamatai and Kitezh. Even if she brought the fragments of the Divine Source, she wouldn't be able to prove that it granted immortality. No one would get scientific recognition that quick, especially without concrete proof. But honestly, that's the only problem I have with the plot in this issue.

Let's see how these comics goes. I enjoyed the last series (excepting the 1st arc, of course ) and this one seems to have potential to be good. Lets hope it is!
I was really happy about that actually. People are finally recognising Lara Croft's name ("They'll know my name") and she probably writes about the stuff she see's on her adventures like in the original bio back in 1996. She's really coming into her own and in this comic I can really see her becoming Lara. It's exciting. From the edgy design of her character, to her taking combat training, and to her finally being respected and recognised as an Archeologist.

Reading the comic again, I'm really pleased with it AS an introductory issue. But I was also really pleased with the first issue of the second arc so hopefully this doesn't go down the ****ter too.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-16, 13:15   #202
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
I was really happy about that actually. People are finally recognising Lara Croft's name ("They'll know my name") and she probably writes about the stuff she see's on her adventures like in the original bio back in 1996.
Still, it's a bit too soon. Maybe if it was a random conspiracy theorist, or if the guy stated they found her blog (in issue 18 Lara starts a blog about her adventures) and found it interesting and wanted to discuss it further, then I would not had a problem. She is still supposed to be building her own name.

I dunno. I also want Lara to be recognised by her work, but it just seems too soon for it yet.
Old 25-02-16, 07:29   #203
anthonycraig
Historian

What's up with the comics section being so dead? We really need a comics forum section, I barely see anyone discussing them, and surely they're not this underrated?
anthonycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-16, 08:07   #204
gigantism
Hobbyist

Are the comics even considered canon? I remember reading one of the issues that came with the TR2013 Survival Edition, and it was kind of a waste of time really.
gigantism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-16, 09:05   #205
Cezar
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantism View Post
Are the comics even considered canon? I remember reading one of the issues that came with the TR2013 Survival Edition, and it was kind of a waste of time really.
They are canon for 100%.
Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-16, 09:12   #206
Heidi_w_
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonycraig View Post
What's up with the comics section being so dead? We really need a comics forum section, I barely see anyone discussing them, and surely they're not this underrated?
Well I wasn't too keen on the art of the first series (which I thought was hit-and-miss) but very much like the art so far in post-Rise issue #1. Also like how we didn't have Lara adventuring in every single pane but instead got a glimpse at her personal life. I think the comics are actually better suited to those "slice of life" glimpses than the games are, but it'll be interesting to see if we get more of those or it was an aberration.

I personally am so glad to see Sam still being in Lara's thoughts -- for someone who is "the most important thing" in her life, I thought Lara gave up a little (read:much) too easily on her once she was in jail. The previous series established that Himiko is gradually getting stronger and causing Sam to act increasingly out of character -- you'd figure a girl as smart as Lara would recognize something amiss.
Old 25-02-16, 09:16   #207
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantism View Post
They are canon, but they are side-stories. You won't need them to understand future games. But if you get interested in reading them, skip the 1st arc (first six issues). They suck
Old 25-02-16, 11:15   #208
anthonycraig
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi_w_ View Post
Well I wasn't too keen on the art of the first series (which I thought was hit-and-miss) but very much like the art so far in post-Rise issue #1. Also like how we didn't have Lara adventuring in every single pane but instead got a glimpse at her personal life. I think the comics are actually better suited to those "slice of life" glimpses than the games are, but it'll be interesting to see if we get more of those or it was an aberration.

I personally am so glad to see Sam still being in Lara's thoughts -- for someone who is "the most important thing" in her life, I thought Lara gave up a little (read:much) too easily on her once she was in jail. The previous series established that Himiko is gradually getting stronger and causing Sam to act increasingly out of character -- you'd figure a girl as smart as Lara would recognize something amiss.
I agree, I've seen posts countless times telling people to basically avoid the post 2013 comics, so I read about them on this lengthy post that basically summarised the arcs which was released when Rise was being released (Polygon posted it I think?) I really loved how Lara's character was represented in this first post rise comic, and the art style is SOOOOOO much better, I got the Jonelle Jones variant cover and it reminds me of the Top Cow comics, like she's drawn like a mix of classic and reboot Lara, which is the vibes I got from her dialogue, expressions, attitude etc. I'm so excited for the next issues, but "Spore", really? The cliffhanger was... meh though, hopefully it's not anything cliche and eye-rolling when continued, but nothing can be as bad as the previous efforts I hope.

Regarding Sam, I think it's because Lara is preferring to seek out these myths and whatnot for herself now, it's hinted at in the end of Rise ("not for my father, not for anybody else") and her character has progressed judging by this recent comic. Idk, it's weird though because I think the developers are trying to get rid of Sam all together, I'm kind of glad because I don't like her but I won't let that get in the way of how Lara jumped the gun so quickly with her, it could have been more subtle instead of throwing her in jail, but who knows. Lara's been learning that thing which you focus on hearing and jump into your mind (forgot the name) and she had that flashback of Sam, so who knows, she might return down the line, but I hope it's handled well for all fans to sort of take it in and appreciate.
anthonycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-16, 15:50   #209
Bomb Fighter
Professor

The first issue finally arrived with Frozen Omen #5 and I want to say I only enjoyed one of them - post-Rise one.
It seems to be the best arc sl far and it's only the beginning. The art is smazing, Lara looks sexy and confident and I felt kind of nostalgic reading this issue. Great start. Pacing is good, the falling part from the preview was unnecessary, but I like how the "what do you hear" part was later explained. My only complain is the colour palette.I would like to see more vivid and light colours, like in Frozen Omen. I know it wouldn't suit this issue, but perhaps later on.

Lara's reaction in the last frame is better than the entire Dark Horse comic line so far! Simple yet so Lara!
Old 27-02-16, 12:27   #210
georgekgr
Archaeologist

I have to say, I have read the first arc of the TR comics (2013-2015) and the new TR comic arc is far better and more interesting about the storyline.
Frozen Omen was also fun to read.