www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics

Old 24-01-17, 16:25   #681
OrangeFr3ak
Archaeologist

Is there any official news on the cancellation? I don't seem to find any. Perhaps they will put the series on a hiatus until the next TR game is released or continue publishing closer to the release of the game?
OrangeFr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 16:29   #682
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFr3ak View Post
Is there any official news on the cancellation? I don't seem to find any. Perhaps they will put the series on a hiatus until the next TR game is released or continue publishing closer to the release of the game?
Nothing official. They just stop at #12. A new arc would have been announced by now. Unless they are just taking a break.
Old 24-01-17, 16:31   #683
Heidi_w_
Professor

Quote:
No official word, but 99.9% sure #12 is the last until TR11 -- it ends with Lara speeding off on a motorcycle saying she has to "do this alone", so it's pretty clear it's leading directly into the next game.

Besides both Tamaki & Sevy are doing other projects now; so if they were getting new people to work on a third arc, I think they would've announced it by now.
Old 24-01-17, 20:02   #684
OrangeFr3ak
Archaeologist

Then probably the comics is on hiatus until the next game is announced?
OrangeFr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 20:15   #685
Heidi_w_
Professor

Quote:
Then probably the comics is on hiatus until the next game is announced?
Almost definitely.

Really wasn't keen on this run, though -- while the post-2013 run had a lot of character development and offered many glimpses of Lara's life outside tomb raiding, the post-Rise run was oddly devoid of character depth; essentially it was an endless series of fight-or-flight scenarios with no time to breathe in between.

I wish they'd have their books/comics penned by people at CD, as hired guns (Abnett & co) just don't have the emotional investment in (or apparently interest in exploring) the character.
Old 25-01-17, 10:57   #686
Rai

Finally got to read #12. Wasn't too keen on revisiting the Himiko story, although it was unresolved from previous arcs. I like the way it ended with Samiko. Lara calling out to Sam seemed to help Sam get the strength to fight back against Himiko, while Lara had set the Wei Mirror trap. Although Sam is now 'fridged' (as Heidi terms it), Sam will heal in time both physically and mentally under her mum's care (hopefully not going to jail). I liked the Jaffa cake touch . The comics didn't interfere with the way TR'13 ended either as, as far as we as players knew, Lara had successfully stopped the ritual and Himiko.

Even though I wasn't overly keen on the last 2 arcs, I didn't mind them and I'm still going to miss them. I hope they do come back post Shadow. Perhaps the writers will be given more freedom to develop the stories they want and, as Heidi says, including a bit more character development.

Did anyone else notice that Lara's top at the end seems to have a classic-like appearance, being blue-grey and similar style? That's a nice nod. With her reboot trousers, it's a modern take of the classic outfit. I'm hoping CD can take that on for game3, as the default outfit, along side other outfits where appropriate.
Old 26-01-17, 22:46   #687
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

I actually liked this last comic, I just hope that if we are sticking to the story of Lara having to do stuff alone that she actually does it alone.
Old 27-01-17, 07:59   #688
Twitcher24
Hobbyist

The comic series wasnt too bad actually - although nothing beats the originals
Old 31-01-17, 14:13   #689
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Finally read the last issue, and I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with the conclusion and this arc in general. I would have preferred if this arc had spent more time developing the relationship between Lara and Sam, and not just action all the time. The last arc was already all action, I thing they should have done a more character-driven one this time.

Overall I think liked the pre-RotTR comics more. Well, obviously excluding that terrible first arc, but arcs 2 and 3 were actually good and interesting. And they balanced both action and character development moments better. Those arcs also showed that Rhianna Pratchett does understand what Lara should be and that it is CD who won't let her write Lara more as Lara, but I digress.

But I wished they had done another arc, just to tie up this series better. This one feels like it ended a bit too open.
Old 31-01-17, 15:45   #690
Heidi_w_
Professor

^Well said.

There were loads of character development in the first series that really echoed what CD had done in TR2013, by making Lara more grounded & relatable; we saw snippets of her personal life & her interactions with Sam (their shared intimidation by Reyes is a highlight) accentuated her humanity.

The post-Rise series had virtually no character moments; inexplicably, the only character for which we gain any insight is the monitor character of Demur, and he dies in the first arc (!). Even Lara's interactions with Jonah are devoid of any connection or warmth -- he seems to be little more than a glorified pack mule in this run.

I'm hoping that if there is a post-TR11 comic run they'll get someone from the game's writing team to pen it, rather than a hired gun with no connection with or care for the character.

Gail Simone hit the nail on the head just this morning in that regard, actually:

https://twitter.com/gailsimone/statu...94162626859008