www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 25-07-19, 04:42   #1
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Thumbs up What's been left behind (att: devs)

Not exactly TRLE or NGLE related sorry guys. I've been typing up the below for a few days now so pardon if its jumpy.

Language input Tomb Raider (II, III?), IV and V.

Theres not much else to be changed PC edition wise now. all patches are up to current with Win10, all the TR games can now be played with ease.

What has been left behind.

The PlayStation editions across all Localization boards were thoroughly edited including changes to gameplay to suit norms, comprehensive additions to the Font pages for multi language support from Euro languages to Asian. the PC editions have been for the most part left behind with only minor localization changes such as a translated readme and in game audio. Logos we're not rerendered nor have any extra Font functionalities been added that extends past the current English standard type set. (approx 60 characters on 1 texture page).
The multiple language.dat files are in many ways rather redundant without more complex characters available on the PC.

The Next Generation Level Editor (TRLE exclusive) has advanced to provide a Windows Font rendering alternative to the Font.pc file. allowing all executable and dat string settings to be rendered in real time during gameplay.

At one point in mid 2015, I achieved correct Japanese script rendering via this method ingame however as only a one off, I have not managed to achieve this again since for unknown reasons, hair pulling out reasons, trial and error has been excessive to no result.
Honestly speaking the WindowsFont method did unfortunately slow down the engine a fair bit (especially in Control Specs menu) however
(07/19** found unifont.ttf used in JP TR4 5 PSX. very light. max size 18). as of today and a quick test..nope. still can't get correct encoding

Possibilities/brain mush

-WindowsFont in TR4 and 5 (via normal scripts/?)

-A newer and bigger font.pc file to be fetched in memory (like main.sfx) instead of from the level files? 36~ changes down to 1 in TR4 for example

Im dreaming really big here...moving onto closed captioning and subtitles

Timed in game over cutscene rendering of script text lines OR alpha channel PNG files which could be made as singular image "subtitle tiles" for each line of speech, lined up bottom middle etc.

I know I've said alot of different things here. constantly kick myself for not getting into programming younger but any feedback is a real learning process. It's no secret I'm very passionate about Japanese subbing, but I know theres many other members much the same across all lingos.

Here is my 2015 success. not tr4, ngle. (I added cameras and animations to the original TRLE title screen cutscenes

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 25-07-19 at 04:44.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 11:02   #2
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Oooooo nice. I wonder why those little Lara flyby sequences were cut from TRLE
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-19, 11:41   #3
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

I made it as my intro to learning NGLE. the script is a MESS but I managed it!!

They were cut because the tomb4 used by TRLE doesnt have cutseq.pak compatability like TR4 tomb4. Cutseq contains all ingame cut animation data including those little title screen scenes

Cameras were quite easy too, judging by the original tr4 flyby beside me playing on loop while I placed cams