www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 08-01-19, 15:08   #1
GiovanniLucca
Historian

Default Tomb Editor Help Thread

I thought would be helpful to have a separate thread to help newcomers to the TR Level building, that will start your first level on this awesome new editor: Tomb Editor. Since the original TRLE was a little bit intimidating with your very old interface...

I would like to start by asking one question...

I made a simple level, and import some Wad from the tomb raider 4 game folder just to have the Lara object and be able to play the level... The problem is, when I play my level, the opening screen of TRIV appears and after I select new game, there's only the word MISSING on the level select menu... How can I select my level to play?
Old 08-01-19, 21:40   #2
LoreRaider
Archaeologist

Make sure that your level name on Tomb Editor settings is the same as the one you're using on the script
E.g. if your level name on the script is tut1, then you have to set the sane name, so it will be tut1.tr4

Last edited by LoreRaider; 08-01-19 at 21:41.
LoreRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 11:02   #3
Dustie
Relic Hunter

The fact that you're getting the MISSING thing is because the name/text that was typed in the script is not found in the english.dat (or whatever language your game is using) file. Normally that shouldn't happen unless you edited the script without making corrections to the language DAT file. Question is, are you using your own TRLE installation, or if you're using the one that came with TombEditor (if there is one)?

The default TRLE installation should have everything set right and for a simple test of level editing and playing, if you have it installed, then all you need is just use the tut1 WAD and configure TombEditor to output a TR4 file named tut1.TR4 (needs to go into the /data directory in the TRLE installation).

If you aren't familiar with TRLE, then you might be missing some basic knowledge which is necessary when using TombEditor, since it only replaces the editor application itself, not the whole environment.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 13:37   #4
GiovanniLucca
Historian

Guys, thank you for the reply!

I played with with the TRLE years back...
In that time I made some basic levels, it was fun... But I forget almost everything about the engine.

With the release of the Tomb Editor (with your beautiful easy to use interface) and the TR3 Remaster project, growed inside me a desire to build my own game in the TRLE.

So let's say I'm a complete beginner in this matter...

What I've done so far...

I installed the Tomb Editor...
Openned it, created a new project...
Started messed up with some blocks...
I made download of some textures and dragged and dropped on the engine...
I tried to launch the game, it asks for the lara obejct, so I tried to use the revised WADs, but give me an error while loading, so I pick some .tr4 from the data folder of the TRIV instalation folder, just to have the lara object...
And then I cliked on Launch and play...
Then it gives me the MISSING text after a selected new game...

From what you said..
I believe that is something wrong with this configuration?

Old 09-01-19, 14:19   #5
Dustie
Relic Hunter

I'm not sure what installation of TRLE is included with the TombEditor package, but people seem to often have problems with it.

I think it would be better if you installed TRLE from the original ISO image available on tombraiderchronicles.com - Tomb Raider Level Editor is listed in the games section. It should install just fine as it is even under Windows 10, but it will require for setup to be run with admin privileges if you want to install it in the default location in Program Files, or you can try installing it in My Documents instead (as a lot of people here prefer), which shouldn't require admin. That will give you a clean TRLE install which should work out of the box (you might need to use the tom2pc converter and convert all TOM files included in the /graphics/wads directory to get the TR4 level files in the /data folder, if the files aren't already present after install).
Then you can just direct TE to the TRLE directory (game components), /data directory (for level file) and again TRLE directory (target executable).
Then if you want to play your custom level instead of the Playable Tutorial Level that comes with TRLE, make a new project in TE named tut1, load the tut1.was file (from /graphics/wads as the WAD), load a texture set, create your level (always include the LARA object somewhere) and build it. If all was configured correctly, TE should output your level as a tut1.tr4 in the /data folder of the TRLE installation and you should be able to run it fine as the Playable Tutorial Level with the default script and language files.
Old 09-01-19, 22:08   #6
GiovanniLucca
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I'm not sure what installation of TRLE is included with the TombEditor package, but people seem to often have problems with it.

(..)
Thank you Dustie for your helpful explanation..
I'll try this when I got time!
Old 12-01-19, 15:15   #7
Shakira Croft
Archaeologist

Sorry for the dumb question but... how do I set a texture as transparent?
Old 12-01-19, 17:35   #8
Dustie
Relic Hunter

In the texture panel, under the texture set, change blending mode in the drop-down menu from Normal to Add (additive, other blending modes work with TREP/FLEP only).
Old 13-01-19, 09:34   #9
Shakira Croft
Archaeologist

Thank you Dustie
Old 17-04-20, 19:18   #10
smoogie7
Hobbyist

How do I fill a texture? I am watching a video from 2017

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9fkogYLdxY

But some of the icons have been removed so I cannot follow this video anymore. I am starting out with version 1.2.11
smoogie7 is offline   Reply With Quote