www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 23-01-20, 09:19   #1
New Dwight
Professor

Default Serious pixelation problem

RUnning the game at max settings w/ SSAA @ 1080p and I get a big pile of pixlated and shimmering mess on walls, floor, objects, and lara. why?
https://i.imgur.com/pRO5zvw.png
very off putting

Last edited by Rai; 23-01-20 at 17:06. Reason: oversized image converted to link
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 09:43   #2
_Seth
Archaeologist

This game never received true anti-aliasing outside of the Xbox 360 (weirdly) and the Xbox One versions. I emailed Nixxes about the PC version back in the day and they didn't offer the courtesy of a reply.

There is a mod that can force AA on, but I guess I've always been too stupid to figure out how to do it properly.
Old 23-01-20, 12:47   #3
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
RUnning the game at max settings w/ SSAA @ 1080p and I get a big pile of pixlated and shimmering mess on walls, floor, objects, and lara. why?
[img]https://i.imgur.com/pRO5zvw.png[/img
very off putting
That is new to me...
Did you checked your resolution scale in the options?
(I think it's right under the resolutions)
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 21:40   #4
New Dwight
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
This game never received true anti-aliasing outside of the Xbox 360 (weirdly) and the Xbox One versions. I emailed Nixxes about the PC version back in the day and they didn't offer the courtesy of a reply.

There is a mod that can force AA on, but I guess I've always been too stupid to figure out how to do it properly.
This is sad. SSAA is already a taxing penalty, to no avail. I try ogssaa is even more costly, why of all games would this have such issue on PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
That is new to me...
Did you checked your resolution scale in the options?
(I think it's right under the resolutions)
resolution scale is only for windowed mode, I'm in fullscreen, and its still set to max. this looks like the result of bad AA?
Old 29-01-20, 15:36   #5
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

This is normal on PC actually. The reason why everything looks that way is because Nixxis did a bad job porting the game to PC. They did not include proper AA when porting the game. I would avoid using SSAA as its currently bugged and may cause glitches here and there.

The best AA option would be to force SSAA by using a program called reshade and disabling the in game AA option.

To be honest they should have included TAA with this game as the many details in the graphics, especially the ice are far too complex geometry for even SSAA being forced to handle and thus you will still have shimmering pixels even when it's forced. Still it's worth forcing since it does improve some of the shimmering a bit.
Old 30-01-20, 09:50   #6
Maverin
Archaeologist

The AA is pure horror in this game. It's so bad that whenever I reach the first huge HUB with all the bare trees, I just get annoyed to death and quit playing. The trees look absolutely horrible. It's one of the biggest complaints I have about this game. If I ever get around buying a very strong gaming computer in the future which can force better graphics, then maybe I'll also start appreciating this game a little more.
Old 30-01-20, 12:36   #7
Emix
Relic Hunter

Try using FXAA, it will make thing little blurry but it looked the best in Rise as i remember.
Emix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 00:44   #8
New Dwight
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
This is normal on PC actually. The reason why everything looks that way is because Nixxis did a bad job porting the game to PC. They did not include proper AA when porting the game. I would avoid using SSAA as its currently bugged and may cause glitches here and there.

The best AA option would be to force SSAA by using a program called reshade and disabling the in game AA option.

To be honest they should have included TAA with this game as the many details in the graphics, especially the ice are far too complex geometry for even SSAA being forced to handle and thus you will still have shimmering pixels even when it's forced. Still it's worth forcing since it does improve some of the shimmering a bit.
i long for search find a reshade that has SSAA, where u find? reshade only has fxaa and msaa. will SGSSAA via nvidia inspect work for RoTTR? OGSSAA is too taxing on his pc
-i agree, games of this high detail need stronger AA methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
The AA is pure horror in this game. It's so bad that whenever I reach the first huge HUB with all the bare trees, I just get annoyed to death and quit playing. The trees look absolutely horrible. It's one of the biggest complaints I have about this game. If I ever get around buying a very strong gaming computer in the future which can force better graphics, then maybe I'll also start appreciating this game a little more.
yeah, i see now. bad for a game this detailed to have such poor AA where AA is needed. same here. the huge pixelation is an eye sore is is deteriorating on game's actually LOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emix View Post
Try using FXAA, it will make thing little blurry but it looked the best in Rise as i remember.
currently have set to fxaa (till find ssaa reshade)
agree it is better, SMAA i see no affect ?
Old 25-02-20, 15:58   #9
New Dwight
Professor

found solution:
in nvidia control panel 3D settings - for rise of the tomb raider profile- set anti aliasing mode to Enhance the application.
Old 03-05-20, 15:00   #10
AdenClements
Historian

I discovered the same problem on revisiting ROTTR. It's almost as if the internal resolution is lower than the rendering resolution, as the gameplay is much more pixellated than it was previously.

If you're an Nvidia user, turning on Multi-Frame Sampled Anti-Aliasing in the Nvidia control panel will solve the problem.