www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-09, 20:58   #1181
evacash
Hobbyist

Default question

SparedLife
I saw what you said about DTX5 "models". Does that mean the "dds" files need to be saved using DTX5? I use DDS Converter 2 to make TGA files into dds (better compression) when I build 'final' tpf files in TEXMOD, and I noticed I could change an option setting from DTX3 (the default) to DTX5.
I've done reskinning in TRL, TR Anniversary, other games, and a little bit of TRAOD reskinning with TEXMOD; my TRAOD roblem has been others could not run my TRAOD skins.

evacash
inquiring minds want to know

Last edited by evacash; 04-03-09 at 21:49.
Old 04-03-09, 22:39   #1182
SparedLife
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by evacash View Post
SparedLife
I saw what you said about DTX5 "models". Does that mean the "dds" files need to be saved using DTX5? I use DDS Converter 2 to make TGA files into dds (better compression) when I build 'final' tpf files in TEXMOD, and I noticed I could change an option setting from DTX3 (the default) to DTX5.
I've done reskinning in TRL, TR Anniversary, other games, and a little bit of TRAOD reskinning with TEXMOD; my TRAOD roblem has been others could not run my TRAOD skins.

evacash
When you extract the textures with TexMod use the default TGA. TexMod extracts in 32bit TGA which is good since you need to use the alpha channel for transparencies. Edit directly in TGA not DDS, no conversion needed, no worry on type of DXT, no mips to do just edit the TGA and save to the filename TexMod gave it as 32bit TGA. It's exactly like Legend, Anniversary, or Underworld with TexMod.
The whole reason for not using TexMod on AOD has been one of unreliability, as you say nobody can see your skin. If my DXT5 models are used along with TexMod your skins will be useable by others. Something to keep in mind is each model has 3 skin textures and all 3 should be in the tpf since the bump maps double as the gloss map excluding a bump map could cause your skin to appear different with someone else.
I only call them DXT5 models because I have forced the model to render in DXT5 by default. DXT5 is why you can get next gen quality outfits without next gen graphics. Next gen as in bump maps, transparencies, and gloss maps plus the high res quality of 32bit TGA which can also be 2048x2048 if you really want to get high-res.
Thank you for the questions and the interest if you have any more feel free to ask.
Old 05-03-09, 01:14   #1183
evacash
Hobbyist

Default reply

@SparedLife,
Thanks for the information and clarification. In TEXMOD I extract files in TGA format, and do my editing on the TGA files. I then save as TGA and make a 'test' tpf. Only after I am satisfied with the results do I convert the TGA to DDS format for going to a 'final' tpf.

evacash

Last edited by evacash; 05-03-09 at 01:16.
Old 05-03-09, 02:57   #1184
SparedLife
Archaeologist

That's a negative on the DDS, you never ever have to do anything with DDS again in AOD when using TexMod. Just save the TGA and load with TexMod.

For example when you rip the 3 model textures with TexMod on the DXT5 LaraD.chr you will get one like this:

TRAOD.EXE_3783F413.TGA

Edit this texture directly as TGA and save as 32bit TGA with the exact name as above (ripped name)

Then tell TexMod to build the tpf. TexMod will grab the TGA and insert it into the game properly.
Old 05-03-09, 15:17   #1185
evacash
Hobbyist

Default reply

sparedlife
I understand what you are saying and I will do that for TRAOD. Once in a while I change a file name to make it easier to identify, with a corresponding name change in the texmod.log file, per example shown below

0xD4F9DE4C|G:\traod-tests\texmod\LaraDD.tga

This is not recommended for those who are new to using texmod as there is too much opportunity to screw up.

evacash

Last edited by evacash; 05-03-09 at 15:18.
Old 06-03-09, 01:33   #1186
SparedLife
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by evacash View Post
sparedlife
I understand what you are saying and I will do that for TRAOD. Once in a while I change a file name to make it easier to identify, with a corresponding name change in the texmod.log file, per example shown below

0xD4F9DE4C|G:\traod-tests\texmod\LaraDD.tga

This is not recommended for those who are new to using texmod as there is too much opportunity to screw up.

evacash
Now you teach me, I didn't know that
Old 15-03-09, 20:54   #1187
SparedLife
Archaeologist

Still hoping someone will jump in and try modding AOD. Here are some more screenshots showing off the NG possibilities in AOD.

extreme use of the gloss and bump maps

Last edited by SparedLife; 31-05-09 at 18:08.
Old 16-03-09, 05:29   #1188
zipper
Relic Hunter

extreme use of gloss!!! IŽm lovinŽit! well done!
Old 16-03-09, 18:50   #1189
Mytly
Tomb Raider

Location: In the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Pretty cool stuff, SparedLife. The second pic is also an extreme use of something ...
Old 17-03-09, 02:17   #1190
SparedLife
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytly View Post
Pretty cool stuff, SparedLife. The second pic is also an extreme use of something ...
Would you believe bump maps

zipper
Quote:
extreme use of gloss
Thanks for peeking over here. The gloss is my favorite enhancement. It can be varied creating glass, plastic, metal or even an oily looking body. All at the same time on different parts of the model also.

but you gotta love the bump maps.
Closed Thread