Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Closed Thread

Old 27-10-07, 10:44   #681
Aurimas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparedLife View Post
Please join in..Would really like to see more involvement

OK, it's time for more TexMod talk...

This IM'd to me by a poor frustrated would be modder. Let me just start off by again mentioning a few things about modding AOD.

It's a hundred times easier to mod AOD than when I started but like all modding it takes determination, patience, and no life even now with as far as we have gone.

The tools used in this thread are not authorized by anyone affiliated with the game. They are solely provided for the community by the community. So if you are having trouble using the tools please don't blame the game, the game publishers, or the game developers; blame me.

With that let me show you what you can do with the tools provided by the community for the community.

This is the original texture used to skin that flesh eating plant in the bio research

http://www.spared-life.com/TombRaide...0xC171C33C.JPG

Not a big texture for so much area to cover on the model and low on detail.
Looks like this:

http://www.spared-life.com/TombRaide...FleshEater.JPG

but with TexMod you can change the texture size from 128x128 to 512x512 and add your own detail. Notice the added bumps and more detail on the TexMod texture

http://www.spared-life.com/TombRaide...TexMod_Bio.JPG

Once again I'll say TexMod has proven to be unreliable as a skinning tool but it is a definite must if you want HiRes textures on the wall and objects.

TexMod can be used together with other tools to create some very nice mods. Below I went all out to show this. I used TexMod on the plants, a modified external Lara.CHR, Sukkel's really nice Lara skin, a modified save game, and threw in a little Photoshop just for the Halloween spirit.

So in this screenshot I used 4 mods (not including Photoshop)

TexMod
Lara.CHR
Sukkel's skin.
saved game mod

Oh and I originally used the SCU to get to the bio level so I guess that's five; six if you count the AODTextureEditor that removed the original Lara.CHR from the GMX.

It's an incredible thing Zac does with the tools provided to him. If you want some good advice I'd say ask him on this forum and follow along.

Edit: Duh get off my soapbox and post the screenshot

http://www.spared-life.com/TombRaide.../Halloween.JPG
That is awersome, can I make the whole hight texture level?

Last edited by Aurimas; 27-10-07 at 10:46.
Old 27-10-07, 12:16   #682
Zac Medley

Location: In a Lovre Gallery air conditioning duct with Lara...

Wow, that looks gorgeous, SparedLife. That is by far one of the best environments in the whole game. The bark texture of the tree behind Lara in the picture is an actual photograph of a tree trunk.

Now, about the hat....

Last edited by Zac Medley; 11-11-07 at 22:46.
Old 27-10-07, 19:52   #683
SparedLife
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac Medley View Post
Wow, that looks gorgeous, SparedLife. That is by far one of the best envorments in the whole game. The bark texture of the tree behind Lara in the picture is an actual photograph of a tree trunk.

Now, about the hat....
This is my favorite hangout in the game. There must be a 1000 things to look at.
It looks as though they used a lot of veggies and fruits to skin the prefabs in this game ...corn, watermelon, a witch's hat .

Quote:
That is awersome, can I make the whole hight texture level?
Sure go for it.

What do you need to know?
Old 27-10-07, 20:24   #684
SparedLife
Archaeologist

While attempting to understand the models a little better I created a few Lara oddities and didn't have the heart to dispose of them. Thought they would be good these last few days before Halloween so I'll post them if anyone wants to try them out.

This one has full environment effects on a semi transparant body with the skin texture disabled. Notice the fabric texture; it is a custom camo skin but looks like an ink spill

File:
http://www.spared-life.com/TombRaide...raD-scary1.zip

This next one has very strong environments created by an offset skin and using the glass values on the diffuse map. Notice you can see her ponytail.

File:

http://www.spared-life.com/TombRaide...raD-scary2.zip

This one below I forgot but I was experimenting on the flesh VS. clothing and level of transparancies.

File:

http://www.spared-life.com/TombRaide...raD-scary3.zip

There are so many things I can do with these models and I still can't put the glasses on. I know TRWads sitting back laughing at me right now .
Old 27-10-07, 20:40   #685
danitiwa

/\
How do you make her transparent? Do you erase backgrounds/set low opacities on the textures?
The first one rocks BTW.
Old 27-10-07, 22:02   #686
SparedLife
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danitiwa View Post
/\
How do you make her transparent? Do you erase backgrounds/set low opacities on the textures?
The first one rocks BTW.
Actually the manipulation is in the model itself. There are a few bytes that define how the model reacts to the textures and the environment around the model.

Below are some examples of changing the values of these bytes. These are using the same CHR everytime with the same skin just changing byte values.

This one is full body except no flesh texture by turning the byte off. Also the models environments on the eyes and lips have been lowered.

Below I raised the reflective values and increased the transparancy

The one below uses black as skin color but is not opaque, in fact it's transparant black. Look at the shadow you can see there is no hand texture.

This one is mostly transparant which gives her face an eerie look

The same goes below but I changed the environment to be more reflective causing a lighter texture effect. Notice no body texture in the shadow on the second one.

Although pretty neat stuff to mess with not a whole lot of usefulness unless it's Halloween.
Old 28-10-07, 09:30   #687
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

The shadow on the last shot
Old 29-10-07, 05:56   #688
planetcroft

Can someone tell me how you see though lara step by step and what proagm
you use.please
Old 29-10-07, 12:56   #689
Zac Medley

Location: In a Lovre Gallery air conditioning duct with Lara...

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcroft View Post
Can someone tell me how you see though lara step by step and what proagm
you use.please
SparedLife is using a hex-editor to modify the character file for LaraD.

To get started you have to have the PC version installed and updated with official patch 49. This will create a directory in the Game\Data\ folder called \Char. This is where you put hacked or modded character (.CHR) files.

You can use any of the hacked .CHR files that SparedLife has released. Look on the first post of this thread for links to the posts for screenshots and downloads. Sometimes they have to be renamed depending on which of Lara's outfits you want in which part of the game. There are instructions on how to do this here.

If you really want to try and make your own hacked character files then you may want to PM SparedLife and ask him if he has any advice on where to start. He began by basically making random changes to the .CHR file for LaraD in hex. As he worked his way through the .CHR file he found a number of key locations where specific changes to the hex values produced results such as, invisibility, partial visibility, longer arms and bigger boobs etc. MOST of the time hacking a .CHR file like this will just cause the game to crash, and so I have no idea how much time SparedLife has put in on learning the layout of the .CHR files, but I'm sure that it is considerable.

If you have any experience of editing Hex then perhaps you know what you are getting into. If you don't have any experience then I suggest that you download a free hex editor, like Cygnus Free Version, and use it to open a .CHR file. Scroll down a few pages and see if you still want to get into it......

I'm sure that SparedLife will be only too happy to help you out, but it takes a special kind of someone to want to get heavily into this kind of thing (that's a polite way to say "wacko").

Frankly I am amazed at what SparedLife has come up with so far.

Last edited by Zac Medley; 29-10-07 at 12:58.
Old 31-10-07, 00:27   #690
Junebug
Explorer

Yay! It's sticky! Sorry, I haven't been here in a while. Great mods, too! Lara looks like some kind of sea-creature in the first one.