Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 22-03-19, 23:38   #18801
Mulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Want to make a hedge maze [...].
Anyone have better ideas?
Yes. Don’t make a maze, hedge or otherwise. Seriously, unless you have a reaonably novel idea for one, skip it. A maze is the lamest of all possible gameplay ideas, unless it ties into your story somehow. And even then it had better be a pretty damn amazing maze.

Last edited by Mulf; 22-03-19 at 23:39.
Mulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-19, 00:19   #18802
Reggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulf View Post
Yes. Don’t make a maze, hedge or otherwise. Seriously, unless you have a reaonably novel idea for one, skip it. A maze is the lamest of all possible gameplay ideas, unless it ties into your story somehow. And even then it had better be a pretty damn amazing maze.
I'm aware of this. It's actually the TR2 hedge maze, no effort is being made to confuse the player or change it's layout as I do think mazes are a cheap way to challenge the player if presented as just a confusing series of passages. This one will be more of a visual feature and without spoiling too much, you will only ever have to go through it once after which a shortcut opens up allowing the player to bypass it each time you need to go back to the puzzle holes at the centre. It's more of a hub for a bigger puzzle spanning the level. Mazes, especially garden mazes irl tend be beautiful to look at and are not designed to trap someone.

Examples - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...er-s-head.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralives View Post
Have you ventured into the world of Meta2tr? There are many talented people on here doing crazy things with it (hopefully, they haven't made it seem to daunting). However, you can do more modest changes; create the maze and just isolate the maze rooms and edit the "hedges" to be less blocky. (Much like you mentioned in another thread, you can use a Meta feature (Mesh-smoothing- not too much though) and you'll be able to keep the collision the same, but make the details a lot more variable.
I haven't looked into it yet but based on that, I definitely will. Yeah I just want to round and roughen edges slightly. Thank you!

Last edited by Reggie; 23-03-19 at 00:57.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-19, 00:27   #18803
Titak

Reggie is making a Croft Manor.
It should have a hedge maze.

What's an amazing maze though?
If you make corridors quite different from eachother (so it is easier to recognise where you are in the maze) would it still qualify as a maze?

I just thought of something, an idea from a comicbook/graphic novel. The characters are dropped into a maze and apart from similar corridors it also has numerous identical rooms where the corridors intersect. The only difference between the rooms is the statue in the middle of the rooms. They are the same, but for one detail: the horns of the animal. They sort of point you in the correct direction in a very subtle way.
Something like that could be nice for a TRLE maze.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-19, 00:46   #18804
Reggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
Reggie is making a Croft Manor.
It should have a hedge maze.

What's an amazing maze though?
If you make corridors quite different from eachother (so it is easier to recognise where you are in the maze) would it still qualify as a maze?

I just thought of something, an idea from a comicbook/graphic novel. The characters are dropped into a maze and apart from similar corridors it also has numerous identical rooms where the corridors intersect. The only difference between the rooms is the statue in the middle of the rooms. They are the same, but for one detail: the horns of the animal. They sort of point you in the correct direction in a very subtle way.
Something like that could be nice for a TRLE maze.
Sounds good to me. I think anything which requires some logic and rewards the player for their efforts is fair game. Also if the centre of the maze in an outdoor level is visible or known, then the compass should be useful too for going in the right direction.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-19, 12:59   #18805
SrDanielPonces

This is an issue I've been having for a while, but I'll ask again one more time in case anyone knows:

My levels have been crashing in some specific areas when Lara is peforming an animation (just a few ones) and pressing action... it freezes but it doesn't create a crash report as the game doesn't close by itself. Does anyone know how can I know the actual reasoning of the crash and why it happens only at a few areas?
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-19, 13:20   #18806
TheLostSecret

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
This is an issue I've been having for a while, but I'll ask again one more time in case anyone knows:

My levels have been crashing in some specific areas when Lara is peforming an animation (just a few ones) and pressing action... it freezes but it doesn't create a crash report as the game doesn't close by itself. Does anyone know how can I know the actual reasoning of the crash and why it happens only at a few areas?
Hi!

Can you tell me more about the details? For example, which animation mostly?

Also, can you tell me which type of PUZZLE_HOLEs are you using? Have you set minus OCBs for them in order to perform a specific type of animation when puzzle item is placed, like the Tridents in Temple of Poseidon??
TheLostSecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-19, 13:36   #18807
SrDanielPonces

I do have one puzzle hole with a negative OCB in two of the levels, but not in the third one which also makes it freeze/crash.

The game crashes when she's crouching and pressing action (again, this does NOT happen in the whole level - only in some specific areas), but also when she's peforming custom animations like the TR1 dangle animation (I'm assuming it's because she's peforming the animation and ALSO pressing the action button which is required for her to grab)
Old 23-03-19, 13:44   #18808
TheLostSecret

Question

Well, does this happen when you draw Uzis and start shooting constantly, holding Action?

I am not sure about it but I had this issue before like you, in one of my levels, the game freezed with no errors. I then realized that there is a major bug with Puzzle Holes I've been using in my game.

Anyways, if you even get the bug not only in crouching state, but also by pressing ACTION several times, then let me know and I will give you a solution.

Sorry anyways. The reason I am asking you questions because I am so eager to know what the problem is myself, my curiousity!

Please test if it also happens when holding a gun or so, and then let me know!
TheLostSecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-19, 18:50   #18809
SrDanielPonces

It happens whether holding guns or not.
Old 26-03-19, 18:06   #18810
Maat_aka
Inactive

does anyone know how to put a background image in the inventory to Level I'm creating? I don't know

Last edited by Maat_aka; 26-03-19 at 18:07.
Maat_aka is offline   Reply With Quote