Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 23-11-22, 15:30   #1
egypt_gypsie

Default Creative Concept Challenge - The Triple C

Do you want to build but feel burned out on ideas? Then this challenge is for you.

Step out of your comfort zone or immerse yourself in the familiar environments that you love, and build something magical with a curated package of materials.

Participants will receive a ZIP file with the following contents:
  • A concept art image
  • A music track
  • A selection of textures
  • A selection of objects
  • One gameplay element they cannot use
  • One gameplay element they must use
  • A TR game theme (TR1, TR2, TR3, TR4, NG)

Concept Art - For this element, it will be an image of an environment. You can use this image in several ways: You may either replicate that exact image (within reason) and then add on the rest of the level around it, OR, you may use that image as a style guide and create a level that emulates that style.

Music Track - This element may be used however you want to use it, you may edit it however you please, but it must be used somewhere, somehow in the level.

Textures/Objects - These textures and objects will be only a small selection, but they must each be used in the level somehow. You may edit them, splice them, or do anything else you want to do with them. You may use as many textures or objects as you want outside of these textures.

Forbidden Gameplay Element - This is a challenge to perhaps get builders to lean away from relying on a certain gameplay element to learn how to diversify their options when building a level. For example, I might have a builder not use any crawlspaces, or shimmy, or limit to only pistols. That sort of thing.

Required Gameplay Element - Again, this is a challenge, but on the other side of the coin. This is to force a builder to figure out how many creative ways they can use a gameplay element.

TR Game Theme - The builder will be required to use the Lara model, sound effects, and move-set of the TR game they are assigned. The Lara model may be edited to have a different outfit if desired. (If you get assigned the NG option, you may use AoD, Legend, Anniversary, or Reboot sound effects, and you can use any moves you want, including customs.) The ONLY limitation this places on the builder is the sounds, Lara model, and moveset. You do not need to adhere to the object/texture limit that would normally come with the theme you are assigned (unless you are using the matching engine).

The deadline to join is Christmas. At that time, I will assign each participant a number, and then you will be matched with the package with that number. I will not know what is in your package.

Builders will be expected to build ONE level of any size they wish, and they may add any elements to it, such as cutscenes.
  • Particpants may release their levels anywhere they wish to, including TRCustoms, TRLE.net, or through another upload service.
  • Participants may use any engine they wish to use, including TEN.
  • Participants may arrange their launch folder in any manner they wish.
  • Participants MUST have their level beta-tested before release. I will require confirmation of this before release.

• As mentioned above, the deadline to join will be December 25th, 2022.
  • Deadline for level submission will be August 31st, 2023.
  • Levels will be released a week after submission to the platform of your choosing.
  • Extensions may be given if participants require them.

Once all participants have joined, and I am ready to distribute the packages, you will receive a password so that you may only open the package assigned to you.

Edit: I have added a Pinterest board that shows the images that are in the packages currently, of which there are 32. Obviously, we might not get 32 participants, but that is how many I have prepared right now.

You may not request specific images, this is just to show what you might get.

Clicky

Last edited by egypt_gypsie; 19-12-22 at 12:37.
egypt_gypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-22, 15:31   #2
egypt_gypsie

[ Reserved for participant list ]
  • Mrshina
  • Geckokid
  • Sabatu
  • ShadowyXJaw724
  • Danath
  • Daniel?
  • Pedro
  • Saintjunia
  • Axelia
  • croftyboy
  • Nanaki
  • Masked Goon
  • THOR
  • Delca
  • Cashford
  • Richard
  • Barry M
  • Olympus Mons
  • JimmyBeon
  • Tomb Explorer
  • Shabab
  • Stryke
  • DroneSpencer

Last edited by egypt_gypsie; 11-01-23 at 16:41.
Old 23-11-22, 20:21   #3
Axelia

I looks very interesting, count me in please.
Axelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-22, 22:40   #4
MigMarado

I took the liberty of sharing this post with the TRLE-net forum. Maybe some people there would like to join in the fun and excitement!

I hope that is OK
MigMarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-22, 22:49   #5
Danath

Talking

I would like to enter with a package for TR1,2 or 3.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-22, 02:01   #6
egypt_gypsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigMarado View Post
I took the liberty of sharing this post with the TRLE-net forum. Maybe some people there would like to join in the fun and excitement!

I hope that is OK
Sure, thank you!
Old 24-11-22, 02:23   #7
Topixtor

Alright, usually challenges are able to at least make me START a project, and one time I actually managed to relase one, so... count me in

However, I also "need" TR1,TR2 or TR3
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-22, 07:33   #8
Wolf 7

Very interesting competition you got there :3c
I especially like that very long building span, I can surely craft something in that period of time!
Is there any requirement on the length of one's level?
You can count me in :3c Oh and please write me down as "Nanaki" not Wolf 7 "^w^

Last edited by Wolf 7; 24-11-22 at 07:59.
Wolf 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-22, 10:58   #9
billie_jean

What an interesting, creative concept! Congratulations!
billie_jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-22, 14:14   #10
croftyboy

This is a quite clever and creative idea. It can actually help with my blockage.

I'd like to participate please.
croftyboy is offline   Reply With Quote