Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 13-04-18, 07:37   #1
Avalon SARL

Default What's Happening To Disney's Mulan New Action Live Movie?

The only thing I could think of here because of changes related to the original movie is probably Maleficent, but we already knew back then that this is a twist to the story told from Maleficent's side, but it still had the same original characters and also the well known Sleeping Beauty concept.

However, with this new Mulan movie, it is a complete re-write, more like coming up with a new story and having problems of finding a title to it and then someone from the cast pops a head out and says: How about Mulan, since we are all Chinese?

cough... CD's/SE Tomb Raider Reboot...........

What is in the video:

Mulan has a sister
No more Shan Yu, but the main villain will be a FEMALE WITCH
No news if Shang is in this movie, but a new character is introduced and will be Mulan's mentor
Enough said...

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 13-04-18 at 08:18.
Avalon SARL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-18, 07:48   #2
Cochrane
Golden

Without having watched the video (no time right now, will do so later), my first guess might be that they’re changing it to better appeal to Chinese audiences (and/or the Chinese government, which controls closely which western movies are allowed into this big market).
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-18, 08:04   #3
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Without having watched the video (no time right now, will do so later), my first guess might be that they’re changing it to better appeal to Chinese audiences (and/or the Chinese government, which controls closely which western movies are allowed into this big market).

Well I can summarize everything for you here in just this:

Mulan has a sister
The villan is not Shan Yu anymore, but an EVIL WITCH AND SHE IS A FEMALE

Why should the Chinese government have any problems to do with the original movie; what they are doing is total ****

What made Mulan lovable is that it was different from all this witch/ princess and prince stuff. It had its own identity.

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 13-04-18 at 08:07.
Old 13-04-18, 08:05   #4
thabani33

Was sooo looking forward to Eddy Murphy's humour, but ah well. I'm out. Hope Aladdin doesn't get butchered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
cough... CD's/SE Tomb Raider Reboot....
Precisely what I thought too.
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-18, 12:29   #5
Dennis's Mom

Maybe they're trying to avoid the problem with the Beauty and the Beast live action movie which was . . . .

why did we need to make the same movie again? Oh, live actors? For those of us who enjoy animation as a medium and don't think it's a "lesser" way to tell a story, we gained nothing. I suppose all the people with small imaginations and "animation is for kids" hangups got something, but I honestly felt it was a cheap money grab because we already had a great B&TB movie.

I watched the LA B&TB wondering why the hell we needed that movie.

So, shaking up the plot a bit while keeping to the main theme of "young girl saves China" might not be such a bad thing.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-18, 12:42   #6
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
Maybe they're trying to avoid the problem with the Beauty and the Beast live action movie which was . . . .

why did we need to make the same movie again? Oh, live actors? For those of us who enjoy animation as a medium and don't think it's a "lesser" way to tell a story, we gained nothing. I suppose all the people with small imaginations and "animation is for kids" hangups got something, but I honestly felt it was a cheap money grab because we already had a great B&TB movie.

I watched the LA B&TB wondering why the hell we needed that movie.

So, shaking up the plot a bit while keeping to the main theme of "young girl saves China" might not be such a bad thing.
I agree with you on this; I did enjoy Maleficent because of this; it is not exactly what SLeeping Beauty is, yet the theme is still there.
You can watch SB and Maleficent and compare their differences; not like what is B&TB case...

However, the rewrite they are making seems pretty awful because they have totally got out of the mood of what Mulan is about.

Alot of people hated Maleficent for saying it ruined their villain, but Maleficent works in reimagining something because it is retelling a story from a different perspective.

But MAl is still there, the fairies, King Sephen, Aurora etc...

B&TB was an exact Copy Paste which yes was no need to IMO, despite the fact that it is still a charming movie.

With this, you are just mixing things up.

I asked for Orange juice with some Ice in it, you gave me Orange Avocado Juice, with some chocolate chips, whip Cream and some bananas, and you are still insisting that this is an Orange Juice.

The movie can have spectacular visuals, effects and other stuff; but an Evil Witch; they are definitely writing the story while drunk

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 13-04-18 at 12:43.
Old 13-04-18, 12:49   #7
Yeauxleaux

If it's made by Disney I don't know if we can really be shocked, since they're kind of known for their fantastical elements and diverging from the original legends' stories. It does make less sense to me though in a live-action movie, which I think should be focused more on (I know Mulan might not have been real but still) some kind of "historical accuracy" with clothing, cultural representation and setting within China etc.

I love the animated movies too but I don't think a live-action necessarily takes really takes away from them.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 13-04-18 at 12:59.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 12:53   #8
tiann

lmao.. an evil witch? wth hahahahahahaha
tiann is offline   Reply With Quote