Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 18-11-18, 09:24   #1
TRJTA

Lightbulb Measurement system for correct object proportions!

During my time on improving the Croft Manor level of Tombraider95's TRII Revised Croft Manor, I developed a measurement system to be able to make the proportions of objects in TRLE just right. Actually, the incorrect proportions was the first thing I improved in the level, and it's a problem that can be seen in almost every custom level and even in the classic original games! The problem had always been that we never knew a reference to which we could determine the right size of the objects.

But now, with my measurement system, we can!

First, to make things a bit simpler, I state that:

1 click = 57,5 cm
2 clicks = 1.15 m
3 clicks = 1.72,5 m
4 clicks / 1 block = 2.30 m

As Lara is exactly 3 clicks high in-game, she is also 1.72,5 m tall. Which is a good height as it is somewhere in between Lara's classic and reboot height.

Knowing these sizes will also help to know how big we should make a room in the editor itself. Most of us tend to make rooms way too big, which is the start of getting wrong proportions. So keep these sizes in mind!

With these sizes in mind I made a measurement block in Metasequoia, which is exactly 4 clicks / 1 block high and is divided into 23 segments (in height as well as width). So each segment is 10 cm. See image below:

When importing this measurement block into a level editor model in Metasequoia, it can be used to visually measure the object against it, making it possible for you to know how large the object actually is.

All you have to do now is find real-world measurements of the things you want to make (for example the height of an average table, chair, etc.). When you do, this system will guarantee that your proportions will be right, and Lara will finally not look like some weird toddler anymore. I found that it also makes the level look more professional/HD, because now finally the proportions are right, which the developers of tomb raider only started doing right since TRAOD.

HERE you can download for the measurement block I made with Metasequoia to actually measure the objects along side it. I also included a 1x1 block, so you know where a level editor block ends, if you want to make an object that is exactly as wide as 1 block. I used these two objects a LOT when working on the Croft Manor level. It has been so useful!

I hope this will be helpful for everyone

P.S > Regarding stairs...

Knowing these measurements will also make it possible for you to know how many steps a 1-click steep stairs-object and a 2-click steep stairs-object should have.

A step in a private building should have a maximum height of 22cm
A step in a public building should have a maximum height of 18cm.

The steps used in TR4 and TRC always have 4 steps, no matter if it's 1 or 2 clicks steep.

The 1-click steep stair with 4 steps, has steps that are 57,5 cm/4 = 14,375 cm high. These steps are quite low actually. The depth of the steps is 2.30m/4 = 57,5, which is already very deep.
A 1-click steep stair with 3 steps, has steps that are 57,5 cm/3 = 19,17 cm high. Which is a good height. But the problem is that this will make the steps very, very deep: 2.30m/3 = 76,7cm.
Visually, I think a 1-click steep stair indeed looks best with 4 steps.

A 2-click steep stair with 4 steps, has steps that are 115 cm/4 = 28,75cm high. Which is too high, considering the guidelines. For a 2-click steep stair it's best to use a model with 6 steps: The steps will then be 115cm/6 = 19,17cm high and 38,3 cm deep.

Last edited by TRJTA; 18-11-18 at 09:39.
TRJTA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-18, 18:57   #2
A_De

Well, this info could be useful rather in modern games than in our "old good" TRLE. For example, if I make some pickup item smaller according the size in real world, in game such pickup can be easily missed by player
A_De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-18, 19:48   #3
Dustie

True, although some items could easily be made much smaller without sacrificing visibility, considering how gigantic they are originally lol Like the medipacks or the flares for example... or just about every item in TR4 or 5 heh (I guess they made them bigger to make them easier to see in the PS1 version which runs in lower resolution than PC)
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-18, 21:37   #4
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_De View Post
Well, this info could be useful rather in modern games than in our "old good" TRLE. For example, if I make some pickup item smaller according the size in real world, in game such pickup can be easily missed by player
True.
For stuff like pickups.
I don't mind pickups being larger than they would be in real life.

As for the rest, things like architecture, TRJTA has a good and useable system there.

I always try to make objects like kitchen counters and tables as high as a multiple of object clicks. One object click being half a click in the editor.
This so other objects can be placed on the table and kitchen counter.
This is especially nice if you have multiple tables and such, and placing other objects on top gives a nice variation.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-18, 15:16   #5
Kapu

It's obvious that you spent a lot of time developing these measurements. Thank you for sharing them, TRJTA!
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-18, 19:50   #6
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

I have always just used a movable block (cube) to give a scale when making a new object in Meta, but this method of yours seems more accurate. Well done

Here is one of my latest Christmas objects for my upcoming video for Christmas day

Last edited by The Great Chi; 25-11-18 at 19:15.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote